Spatial Audio Bass Question

RonN5

Spatial Audio Bass Question
« on: 18 Jul 2022, 12:10 pm »
This is a question for Clayton about bass… specifically the punch/impact comparison of 3 speakers. Assuming a large listening space with optimal placement, how do the M3, X5 and X4 compare in their ability to create impactful bass for a listening position that would probably be 10-12' from the speakers?   Since most music doesn’t go much below 40hz, I’m not sure their bottom end frequency response matters as much since they all go down to 30hz.

I’m guessing that the X5's amplifier might offset the M3s size advantage and that the two of them would be pretty close to each other with the X4 being a step behind?

Hopefully Clayton can compare/contrast/explain the capabilities of these 3 well reviewed speakers.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2022, 01:22 pm by RonN5 »

DBT AUDIO

Re: Spatial Audio Bass Question
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2022, 07:42 pm »
I’m guessing that the X5's amplifier might offset the M3s size advantage and that the two of them would be pretty close to each other with the X4 being a step behind?

Hopefully Clayton can compare/contrast/explain the capabilities of these 3 well reviewed speakers.
I know your question is for Clayton, but I wanted to share my experience with the X5 and M3.  I own the X5s and I heard the M3s at Linear Tube Audio.  The M3s clearly had more bass than my X5s.  Period….  I will say, I’m confident the 15” midrange woofer produced good midbass that enhanced the lower bass performance.  I like my X5s, but the bass didn’t outperform the M3s bass performance in my opinion.

RonN5

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2022, 10:01 pm »
Thanks DBT… hopefully Clayton can provide some expertise which should be helpful to anyone considering these models.

doggie

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2022, 01:28 pm »
I know your question is for Clayton, but I wanted to share my experience with the X5 and M3.  I own the X5s and I heard the M3s at Linear Tube Audio.  The M3s clearly had more bass than my X5s.  Period….  I will say, I’m confident the 15” midrange woofer produced good midbass that enhanced the lower bass performance.  I like my X5s, but the bass didn’t outperform the M3s bass performance in my opinion.

I had the same exact experience. I visited LTA, listened to the M3's, but then purchased a pair of X5's to use with my LTA Ultralinear Integrated amp.

I would agree that the M3's seem to have more bass but I would say that, to my ears, the X5 bass is tighter, more realistic and in better proportion to the rest of the music. There was a time when I was really drawn to speakers with strong mid-bass but now I seem to favor a more flat overall response.

I liked the M3's a lot but I love the X5s.

I would say that they might be my last speakers ...unless I have to downsize at some point  :(

Mr. Big

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2022, 08:36 pm »
This is a question for Clayton about bass… specifically the punch/impact comparison of 3 speakers. Assuming a large listening space with optimal placement, how do the M3, X5 and X4 compare in their ability to create impactful bass for a listening position that would probably be 10-12' from the speakers?   Since most music doesn’t go much below 40hz, I’m not sure their bottom end frequency response matters as much since they all go down to 30hz.

Keep in mind your room will have an impact on bass reproduction no matter the speakers. So how the bass will be in your room if I had the same speaker would be different in mine as well as the midrange and the highs.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2022, 09:59 pm »
I would say that they might be my last speakers ...unless I have to downsize at some point  :(

Doggie.  Say it isn't so!  You waited anxiously and for so long for your X5s.

LOL, Marcus

lazbisme

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2022, 05:17 pm »
my sentiments exactly regarding my X3s, doggie! Getting old seems to really speed up as it progresses. :cry:

Daryl Zero

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2022, 08:23 pm »
I had the same exact experience. I visited LTA, listened to the M3's, but then purchased a pair of X5's to use with my LTA Ultralinear Integrated amp.

I would agree that the M3's seem to have more bass but I would say that, to my ears, the X5 bass is tighter, more realistic and in better proportion to the rest of the music. There was a time when I was really drawn to speakers with strong mid-bass but now I seem to favor a more flat overall response.

I liked the M3's a lot but I love the X5s.

I completely agree with all of this including they are my endgame speakers.

Bingenito

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2022, 12:00 pm »
I suspect the real accurate answer will be... "It Depends" as there are no absolutes with many variables.

With the passive speakers the amp used is critical and if it is bass shy or lacks control that will be reflected in the bass reproduction. With the 2 active speakers that obviously is not a concern as the performance variables are eliminated.

From my testing with the X4s it seems that Class D amps work extremely well and produce the best bass that I have heard and that is compared to very large 130lb class AB amps.

Long way off saying "It depends" based on your application and related amplification. If I was into tubes I would likely lean to the X3 or X5 for their impedance, increased sensitivity, etc. Since I am not I choose the X4.

As a side note and point of reference my room is >6k cubic foot and I only have 2 X4 and the bass in the room is shocking when the music calls for it. Unless you are coming from a Home Theater based system with 2-4 SVS Ultra 16 subs that are calibrated 6db to hot for the mains... You should be all set on bass no matter what X speaker you choose.

catluck

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2022, 02:38 pm »
Just want to add a comment to Bingenito's reported experience. I also find that class D can provide astounding bass on the M3's.  Using the Bel Canto eRef 600's (300 watts @ 8 ohms) with an astonishingly ravishing midrange as well. But, at to tubes, I'm using 50 watt class A monoblocks and the bass from the M3's is rich, vivid, wholly present.  I can't really fault the bass in any way using tubes.  The point? Don't shy away from tubes with the M3's.