That Piece

dflee

That Piece
« on: 16 Jul 2022, 02:24 am »
We all have that one piece of gear that will only leave us through our cold dead hands:
Mine is an Accuphase C11 Pre. I found it used a number of years ago and have no intention
of ever replacing it. While most every other piece is in a circulating rotation, it's just a piece of
equipment I have no desire to replace.
What's yours?

Don

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: That Piece
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2022, 10:04 am »
Mine would those pieces: VTL amplifiers, Well Tempered Classic and Square Motor turntables.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2022, 12:49 pm »
My Berning ZH270 is going nowhere.  :nono:

-Dieter
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2022, 04:45 pm by Dieterle Tool »

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2022, 02:03 pm »
Hey!
Welborne Labs "Apollo"

Welborne Labs "Apollo"

For me that would be my Welborne Labs Apollo SET Monoblocks amps. I spent a little over half of my life with them so far. Pics above were taken 12 years ago.

For those of you who are audio DIYers and have been around probably heard of Welborne Labs back in the '90s. Back in 1999 these were one of the more powerful SET amps with 18wpc from back then was brand new tubes from KR Audio, the 300BXLS and 842VHD. I love the idea of those new tubes and also love the look of these. So, I took the plunge and luckily it was a good decision because they turned out to sound great to me also. Still remembered the first time I flipped on the power switches. They will turn 23 years old this December.

Although, there are downsides to these amps. First off the price of those output tubes. Back in 1999 a pair of KR Audio 300BXLS cost $575 a pair and now I think they are around $1200 pair, ouch! Also, so far I think only two companies make output tubes that I can use in these, KR Audio and Emission Labs. Getting KR tubes seems to be problematic since I really can't find any dealer in the US right now. At lease the driver tubes 6EM7/6EA7 are still afford, although the price have gone up for these also over 2 decades.

Anyway, still I do love them and will keep using them until I can't get or can't afford tubes for them anymore.

Buddy

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2022, 04:40 pm »
For me it's a Nakamichi CR-7  8)