Intro / DCM Time Window refurb

ellisonb

Intro / DCM Time Window refurb
« on: 24 Jun 2022, 01:18 am »
Hello all - new to this forum! I recently bought and completely refurbed a pair of Larger Advents. I was impressed how much they improved, so I decided to do the same for my Time Window 1's. After getting inside them (the nightmare everyone describes) I found my 1's have 1A crossovers in them. Here's my question: They have two electrolytic caps and three mylar caps. After a little research I learned the mylar may be providing an appropriate amount of ESR, and so it would be a bad idea to go with a different kind of replacement. That the characteristics of the mylars may be specifically chosen for that circuit.

Opinions? I am fairly ignorant when it gets this deep in the woods. I am going to replace the resistors, caps, wiring and binding posts. Considering the trouble getting these open, I don't want to have to go in again. I love these speakers and they were functioning properly before I started this, but would like to hear them if they improve like the Advents did. Thanks in advance!
Ellison

nickd

Re: Intro / DCM Time Window refurb
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2022, 04:49 am »
Love those old time windows.
Don’t think you can go wrong replacing the older parts.
The electrolytic caps could be dried out out of spec.
Sonicaps and some of the newer film caps are a nice upgrade from the older budget polys.
Resistors in the audiophile genre are usually a change for the better too. Sand cast resistors are durable but don’t sound like a mills or some of the pricey stuff.
Just my opinion. Manufacturing to a reasonable price point usually means budget parts.
Just how it is.
Enjoy those DCM’s Hard to beat that soundstage they cast.

ellisonb

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2022, 01:53 am »
Thanks Nick for your reply. I think I'll take your advice on the resistors. The caps will now boil down to how much $$ to spend. Also, since the drivers and xover are on top, I may install the new binding posts up a foot or two from the bottom. Shorten the path.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2022, 07:01 pm »
Note that there is at least 1 thread on refurb inquiries on these at diyAudio.com.

I still remember enjoying these when they first arrived at the shop. Later a good buddy had a pair hanging upside down in his little jazz record store.

dave

ellisonb

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2022, 02:51 am »
Thanks Dave - I will definitely try to find that thread. I still am researching the mylar caps and trying to sure what to replace them with. Maybe that diyaudio thread will help!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2022, 03:46 am »
Thanks Dave - I will definitely try to find that thread. I still am researching the mylar caps and trying to sure what to replace them with. Maybe that diyaudio thread will help!

If you have not seen this capacitor comparison, it may help to read it.  I have found it helpful in picking caps for electronics.

https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Enjoy those Time Windows.  I loved them when they came out but could not afford them as I was a poor student in grad school.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2022, 03:55 am »
They are old caps, i would change them. Swappimg mylar for poly should not be an issue, swapping a poly for an elco can sometimes be problematic due to their highish ESR. I still do it.

dave

ellisonb

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2022, 05:10 am »
Thanks Grey and Planet - I saw that cap comparison quite a while ago but had forgotten it. It's very useful. And I feel a little better about using polys for the mylars. And I believe you about elcos!