Plate amp alternatives

RoadTripper

Plate amp alternatives
« on: 30 May 2022, 02:42 pm »
My plate amps in my Super 7s have a hum - from day 1. And I'm getting tired of it. What alternatives do I have for driving my "servo" subwoofers other than the original Rythmik (sp?) plate amps.

kingdeezie

Re: Plate amp alternatives
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2022, 04:27 pm »
Not that this will answer your question, but have you tried a humbuster type device to help with DC? PSAudio used to make one as did Emotiva.

They were generally inexpensive, so it might be worth a try before trying to find a suitable plateamp; especially in this supply chain scenario.

NoahH

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2022, 04:38 pm »
Not that this will answer your question, but have you tried a humbuster type device to help with DC? PSAudio used to make one as did Emotiva.

They were generally inexpensive, so it might be worth a try before trying to find a suitable plateamp; especially in this supply chain scenario.

Agree on this. Most equipment can't 'make' a hum - the hum is usually coming from outside the system somewhere. Grounding and isolation is typically what is needed.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2022, 05:02 pm »
iFi Audio makes a DC Blocker  https://ifi-audio.com/products/dc-blocker/

and a ground loop breaker  https://ifi-audio.com/products/gnd-defender/

For your original question, there are no alternative plate amps. The Rythmik servo amps and drivers are designed to work together. While there are other servo plate amps on the market, they use a different type of servo control. Rythmik uses their own patented method for servo control for both the amps and drivers.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2022, 05:08 pm »
Is the hum mechanical from the toroidal transformer or from the speakers? 

If it is from the transformer, the DC blocker might help if that is the cause.

If it is from the sub speaker, it is a ground loop from the sub amps.  There is a way to change that IIRC if you contact Rythmik. 

RoadTripper

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2022, 12:02 am »
Sorry for the lapse in attention. I've been playing a lot of golf. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the speakers. What's an IIRC?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2022, 12:42 am »
Sorry for the lapse in attention. I've been playing a lot of golf. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the speakers. What's an IIRC?

IIRC - if I remember correctly

RoadTripper

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2022, 11:21 am »
I thought I was going to have to change out my plate amp's IIRC if I wanted to get rid of the hum.

jparkhur

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2022, 01:44 pm »

If you have not already, you can try to spin the coil/transformer some inside the amp back, and tighten down again.  Also, send it back to Brian at Rhymik.  He is great.  Have you plugged in to different outlets, is there another issue you have not thought of.  You can not use another plate amp/ or other with the servos, wont work.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2022, 06:21 pm »
There are no other servo amps other than what comes from Rythmik Audio.

Usually a hum is something being caused form something other than the amp itself. If it is a transformer problem then Brian (at Rythmik Audio) may be able to take care of it for you.