Klipsch 6000F & 600C NoRez Question

owcraftsman

• Less is more when God is in it.
Klipsch 6000F & 600C NoRez Question
« on: 27 May 2022, 01:36 am »
I was provided 4 sheets of 24x27 inch NoRez for all three speakers. I've already done some math and it's clear to me I won't be covering every sq. in. of the interior of the speaker where speakers and other components are.
Below is a depiction or where I think it should go and the calculation of square inches needed to cover that minus the corners and component spaces.

So, that begs the question where is it supposed to go? 
My table saw is hungry.

For the RP 6000Fs
I feel like it should be all of 1, 2,5, & 6 and part of 4 open spaces as a minimum.
For the 600C
I see about the same all of 1. 2. 5 and 6 and part of 4 mostly behind the woofers.

There is a huge space on 3 side below the bottom woofer that could use it IMHO but I don't think I have enough.
Speaking of which, I have contemplated mounting the network on 3 side below the woofers so I can No Rez behind the woofers on side 4.
I calculated the amount of wire needed for the network on the back wall side 4 or the front wall side 3 and it came out exactly the same so there's that.
I calculated the network on the bottom and I wouldn't have enough wire so out of the question.

In any case I'm seeking an expert opinion on all the above.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Klipsch 6000F & 600C NoRez Question
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2022, 02:04 am »
In both cases, you want to leave 2-3 inches behind the woofers to allow them to breathe freely. You can also get away with not putting any on the bottom of the towers. Adding polyfill or fiberglass to that area will suffice, leaving room for the ports to also breathe of course.

For the towers the main places are the sides, back, and top panels
Bottom and front panel are optional if you have leftovers.

On the 600C the main places are the top, rear and sides. You can put some on the bottom around the crossover, behind the wooers allowing for breathing room.

Hope that helps!

owcraftsman

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2022, 11:48 pm »
At this point I feel like I was shorted on the NoRez.
Any time you have to cut something whether its a sheet of plywood piece of wire or a piece tile there is waste.
Any time you buy material you account for waste.
Granted its peel and stick so you can probably use every little piece but every which way I look at it I'm still short.

Bare with me:
The actual dimensions of the RP-6000F is 39.62 h x 17.02 d x 9.35 w
If I do not over lap the NoRez at the inside corners I would subtract 3.25" from any of those dimensions to calculate what is needed.

Let me explain how I arrived at 3.25".
The cabinet is 5/8" thick front, back, top bottom and sides.
To calculate the interior dimensions you would multiply 5/8 x 2 = 1-1/4" and subtract the actual height width or depth which tells you the size of the interior wall.
For example the speaker is 17.02" deep if I subtract 1.25" that equals 15.77". So that is the interior dimension front to back.
The NoRez is 1" thick and you will need to hold it 1" off any of the surfaces that it meets so when measuring from front to back or top to bottom you would cut 2 inches from those dimension.
Taking the example above we know the interior front to back is 15.77" when you subtract 2" from that you get 13.77 the maximum amount of NoRez need front to back.
When you add that latter two together 1.25 For cabinet and add the 2" to avoid NoRez overlap you get the 3.25" mentioned above.

Now that you understand where the 3.25" came from we will subtract it from the actual Height width and depth of the speaker to calculate how much NoRez is needed for any of the interior spaces.
When we do that we get 36.37 h x 13.77 deep x 6.1 wide.
Any of the interior surfaces that NoRez can cover can be calculated using these measurements.

For example:
Take a interior side surface area the amount of NoRez needed would be 36.37 h x 13.77 d = 501^ sq. in. needed per side.
Of course there are two interior sides so multiply 501 x 2 = 1002 sq. in. to cover both sides top to bottom and side to side cutting 1" from the entire perimeter.

In the RP-6000F video by Danny  at the 10:30 mark he says 3 sheets of NoRez but its unclear if that is per speaker or for the whole kit.
Unfortunately the web store does not indicate exactly what is included so I'm left to wonder and trust they know what they are doing when I bought the kit.

If it's 3 sheets for the whole RP-6000F kit then that makes 1.5 sheets of NoRez per speaker or 972 sq. in or 24x27 x 1.5
That would mean there is not even enough NoRez in this kit to cover even the sides of speakers let alone the top bottom back etc.
I have got to think it's three sheets per speaker for that reason and to allow for waste as mentioned above.

I'm short 3 sheets of NoRez

Someone please, correct me if I'm wrong. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2022, 01:04 am »
"Shorting" would imply we didn't send you what you paid for, and that isn't the case.

The kit normally includes 3 sheets of Norez total, as does the larger 8000F & I'm not aware of anyone who has said they didn't get enough Norez for either of those kits.
Wiring length is often the most common complaint since some users are putting the crossover on the base of the speaker, rather than on the back wall or braces closer to the drivers

It's also not necessary to cover every square inch, but we can consider shipping 4 sheets going forward, or an option to add a 4th sheet and some wiring.

owcraftsman

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2022, 03:54 am »
"Shorting" would imply we didn't send you what you paid for, and that isn't the case.

The kit normally includes 3 sheets of Norez total, as does the larger 8000F & I'm not aware of anyone who has said they didn't get enough Norez for either of those kits.
Wiring length is often the most common complaint since some users are putting the crossover on the base of the speaker, rather than on the back wall or braces closer to the drivers

It's also not necessary to cover every square inch, but we can consider shipping 4 sheets going forward, or an option to add a 4th sheet and some wiring.

Let me start by saying I appreciated your help. It is not my intention here to rub you the wrong way so don't take what I have to say here personally. I'm just presenting facts here.

I have 28' of wire and its two more feet of read and white than I need based on my calculation which in my book is an ample amount of waste.

That said you cannot deny the math I don't have enough here to cover the sides let alone the bottom, top or back based on the three sheets provided. 
In fairness I have 4 sheets here and the RP-600C will only need 362 sq. in. of 648 provided but that is doing it the way you suggested which I consider a compromise to stretch what was provided out to get the job done. Bottom line, That means I will have 286 sq. in left over from that sheet your way. My way requires 496 sq. in. for the 600C which means I would have 152 SQ left over.

I did not buy a set of speakers and then an upgrade kit to compromise.
In my ideal way I need 3472 sq. in of NoRez and was provided 2592 sq. in. which is 880 sq. in. short.
Furthermore, the kit came with no instructions on where or how to install the NoRez.
Of course I watched the 600M videos so I have a good idea but the behemoth that the 6000F is, is a totally different animal.
Not the least which is that 880 sq. in. of uncovered surface area. To put that into perspective that is each box missing 20" x 22" of surface area.
To be very clear this is not the areas where speakers terminal and tuned port are.

As for the no one else has complained comment, I'm not someone else.

Clearly someone has done the math when putting the kit together.
I just want an answer as to what the intentions are for what is provided. And why those open bare surface areas are not important.
Clearly the NoRez is the most expensive item in the kit but its hard to believe we are splitting hairs here with every part of the upgrade except the NoRez.
Just as Sonicaps, pure oxygen free coppers, and tube connector are essential aspects to get right so too must be the NoRez. Right?
This make no sense. Without clear cut direction it's almost like its unimportant. Somehow I doubt that.

The bottom line here for me is, The last thing I want to do is break open my speakers rip out the crossover void my warranty and most importantly loose the down time while performing the upgrade. I want to know/understand what I'm getting into before that so I'm not stuck waiting for more parts to come so I can finish it. I dot my I's and cross my T's before this frog jumps. At this point Nothing is soldered, no foam has been cut and until I'm clear on every aspect it will remain that way. 

I have an idea how about a cut sheet for the NoRez?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2022, 03:31 pm »
Have you opened the speaker up?  There may be some bracing that you haven’t accounted for.

No Rez is not rocket science.  You don’t need super precise cuts.  You may need to cut multiple smaller pieces in order to fit them through the woofer holes.  No Rez is fairly stiff so to cover every square inch of internal space will be an exercise in frustration.  A fraction of an inch here and there won’t make or break its performance.  And a little wiggle room will allow you to make the most of what you have.  The primary areas to focus on are the least braced sides and top and rear.

If you haven’t already done so you may want to read all of the sticky posts.  If you need help with any of this, all you have to do is ask here on the forum.  Or you can call GR Research.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2022, 03:56 pm »
Why not just order another sheet or 2 of NoRez?  Seems like a pretty simple solution.

owcraftsman

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2022, 01:44 am »
Have you opened the speaker up?  There may be some bracing that you haven’t accounted for.

No Rez is not rocket science.  You don’t need super precise cuts.  You may need to cut multiple smaller pieces in order to fit them through the woofer holes.  No Rez is fairly stiff so to cover every square inch of internal space will be an exercise in frustration.  A fraction of an inch here and there won’t make or break its performance.  And a little wiggle room will allow you to make the most of what you have.  The primary areas to focus on are the least braced sides and top and rear.

If you haven’t already done so you may want to read all of the sticky posts.  If you need help with any of this, all you have to do is ask here on the forum.  Or you can call GR Research.

I got a good look at the interior HERE of the 600C and expect the 6000f to be much the same, so no I haven't opened mine yet but as stated above I want to minimize the down time by dotting my I's and crossing my T's now. I'm quit familiar with peel n stick some I'm certain it won't be an issue. Thanks and I appreciate your input. There have been many helpful folks here so far.

Why not just order another sheet or 2 of NoRez?  Seems like a pretty simple solution.

That is exactly my next move but one sheet will do it.

IMHO 5 sheets of NoRez should be included with this combo and I’m one sheet short of what I need.
Currently GR Research sells a 4pk for 218.8 that is 2592 sq. in. of NoRez
218.8/2592=.09^ per sq. in. this equates to approx. $58 per sheet
In essence I am squabbling over that. 58 bucks. In the scheme of things, I would have gladly paid the extra for a complete kit which will be my next move to ask Danny to ship me another sheet but I digress

CUTSHEETS

Klipsch RP-6000F
36.37 h x 13.77 d x 6.1w actual minus 3.25” perimeter edge
36.37 x 13.77 x 2 = 1002^ right and left side cut from 4-6.875 x 24
13.77 x 6.1 x 2 = 168^ top and bottom cut from 2 -6.1” x 24” rips
36.37 x 6.1 x2 = 444^ front and back cut from  2-6.1” x 24” rips
                            1614 sq in
Subtraction for components
16 x 6.1 = 98^ tuned port and post terminal
9.5 x 4.5 = 43^ Network/Crossover
32 x 6.1 =  195 speaker array
                  336 sq in subtraction for components
1614 – 336 = 1278  x 2 = 2556 sq in surface to cover via NoRez a pair of RP-6000F No Compromise

Klipsch RP-600C
18.68 w x 11.96 d x 4.7 h actual minus 3.25” perimeter edge
18.68 x 11.96 = 447^ top and bottom cut 5.98 x 18.68 x4
18.68 x 4.7 = 88 back only from scrapes see cutsheet
11.96 x 4.7 x 2 = 112 right & left sides cut 5.98 x 4.7 x4
                         647 sq in total interior surface
12 x 4.7 = 56 tuned port and post terminal
9.5 x 4.5 =43^ Network/Crossover
                 100^
647 – 100 = 547 sq in surface to cover via NoRez for a RP-600C with No Compromise

2566 + 547 = 3113 sq. in. total NoRez needed for both kits FTW
3113/648=4.8 sheets
648x4= 2592
3113-2592=521
521/27=19.3^
19.3x27= 521
Short one piece of NoRez 19.3” x 27” to be exact. The math doesn't lie

I think the RP-6000F Kit need 4 sheets 3 is just way too little and I have proved that with the math.

When the kit shorts us, understand you are asking a neophyte to comprehend what an expert knows instinctively.
When and where to compromise by shorting them exactly what is needed makes a daunting task even more complicated.
Put exactly what is need in the package, maybe a little extra. Provide a cut sheet, brief explanation of the parts labels IE help identifying resistors and the schematic should be a bare minimum. IMHO

When people can see and read good explanation maybe it would go a long way at helping those on the fence taking the leap.
It might also be a good idea to have a Thread dedicated to each Kit you offer so people have a place to go which is everything they are looking for
Right now it's jumbled mess dedicated threads would aggregate the post in an orderly fashion.
It would also go a long way to knowing what's hot and what's not. 

I think I've come up with a good solution for the network location on the 6000F and a way to simplify the Minus IN I'll be sharing that soon.

corndog71

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2022, 04:01 am »
Look at this pic.  This is what I’m talking about.  Note how not every inch of surface is covered.  There are braces.  This is why you won’t see exact measured cut pieces.  And it’s not necessary.

owcraftsman

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2022, 07:36 pm »
Look at this pic.  This is what I’m talking about.  Note how not every inch of surface is covered.  There are braces.  This is why you won’t see exact measured cut pieces.  And it’s not necessary.

You are absolutely right corndog albeit minimal the 6000F has bracing too. Still without the one more sheet of NoRez I just ordered I would have to compromise on where not to put it.
The whole idea for me is to upgrade the speakers. The 5/8" walls with huge cabinets needs all the help I can give it.  :thumb:

Those two braces in the middle look like a good place to mount the new network. BTW how the heck did you take that pic  :popcorn:

corndog71

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2022, 04:35 am »
Those two braces in the middle look like a good place to mount the new network. BTW how the heck did you take that pic  :popcorn:

Wasn’t me.  It’s from the link you posted above.