Preamplifier recommendations

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Preamplifier recommendations
« on: 25 May 2022, 04:41 pm »
I’m making changes to my system and am looking for a good preamp.  My main requirements are a low output impedance for driving long cables and transparent attenuation.  Prefer to keep it under or around $1K.

Any recommendations?

mkrawcz

Re: Preamplifier recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2022, 05:24 pm »
Topping Pre90 is pretty good at 20ohms. I guess it depends on if you want the preamp to color the sound. The remote is pretty bad on it, but it’s just about the most transparent preamp I ever tried.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2022, 05:29 pm »
Find a used Dodd.  They were a great unit and underpriced when they came out.  Concerns about repair are unfounded as there are techs that have the schematics available. 

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2022, 05:36 pm »
The Schiit Freya+. It's made in the US, well reviewed, provides three options for preamplification, and fits the budget.

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1

Everything I've owned from Schiit has been well built and performed very well for the cost (e.g., Yggdrasil DAC, Bifrost DAC, and Valhalla headphone amp).

Oscillate

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2022, 08:25 pm »
...balanced or unbalanced?

Kaiju2189

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2022, 08:42 pm »
I put together an Elekit TU 8500 kit. Solid pre amp running a couple of 12au7 tubes. It is single ended only. It sounds great and an easy upgrade on caps since it is a kit. I might be concerned though with SE cables clearly depending on how long the cable runs are.

Scott

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2022, 08:53 pm »
I went from a Parasound P3 to a Schiit Freya + and i have to agree with newzooreview..it's a great preamp. The only downside, as was pointed out by a youtube reviewer, is that the sockets are set down from the chassis. If you tube roll, and like NOS tubes, you will have to lift and insert the tube from the glass not the base, which will be damaging to 40-70 year old (glue) holding together tubes. I went with tube lifters which raise the base above the chassis.

corndog71

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2022, 09:29 pm »
...balanced or unbalanced?

Unbalanced.

mkrawcz

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2022, 09:47 pm »
Another one I would recommend even though the output impedance is a little high is the Akitika PR-102 just because it sounds so damn good.  :D

corndog71

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2022, 09:52 pm »
Another one I would recommend even though the output impedance is a little high is the Akitika PR-102 just because it sounds so damn good.  :D

I was considering it but with 15’ rcas between preamp and amp it might be a no go.

I have also considered the Schiit Freya but I tried the S-version last year and had some noise issues.  I ended up returning it.  It may have been a bad unit but I never heard back about it.  They just gave me the refund.  That was disappointing as I really liked the style and trippy volume control.

newzooreview

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2022, 01:51 am »
had some noise issues.

Noise when changing the volume? It uses relays (if I recall correctly) which make a clicking sound.

Or noise coming through the speakers?

corndog71

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2022, 03:42 am »
Noise when changing the volume? It uses relays (if I recall correctly) which make a clicking sound.

Or noise coming through the speakers?

It wasn’t the volume control. That noise was fine.

Passive mode was dead quiet like my other integrated amp.  Buffer mode added a little noise from the speakers.  Active mode was enough noise to be able to hear it from 5 feet away.  They’re 97 dB speakers so they’re pretty sensitive.  Still, it was unacceptable.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2022, 04:32 am »
The PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC (GCD) has no trouble driving long cable runs. I’ve used it with 25’ runs. It has both RCA and XLR outputs. At full retail of $1,900 its well above your range. If you can take advantage of their trade in program you can get the price of a new one down to $1,300. Another option is used which would bring the price down to under $1,000. That’s how I got mine.

While the GCD is a combination DAC and preamp, if you have a DAC you like better you can use it. The GCD has four analog inputs, 3 single ended and 1 balanced.

AllanS

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2022, 05:10 am »
The PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC (GCD) has no trouble driving long cable runs. I’ve used it with 25’ runs. It has both RCA and XLR outputs. At full retail of $1,900 its well above your range. If you can take advantage of their trade in program you can get the price of a new one down to $1,300. Another option is used which would bring the price down to under $1,000. That’s how I got mine.

While the GCD is a combination DAC and preamp, if you have a DAC you like better you can use it. The GCD has four analog inputs, 3 single ended and 1 balanced.

PSA is running a May Stellar series promo.  The Gain Cell DAC is on sale for $1249.

Komoyuki

AKLegal

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2022, 07:30 pm »
It wasn’t the volume control. That noise was fine.

Passive mode was dead quiet like my other integrated amp.  Buffer mode added a little noise from the speakers.  Active mode was enough noise to be able to hear it from 5 feet away.  They’re 97 dB speakers so they’re pretty sensitive.  Still, it was unacceptable.

This is the exact experience I had with the Freya S. I sent it back for a replacement.
Instead of being sent another Freya S, I received a Freya +. The Freya + had zero noise and was fantastic. It was just a little laid back for my tastes so I sent it back to Schiit and let them know that it was sent by mistake.
Schiit then sent a replacement Freya S. Same noise issue as the first. Completely independent from the volume control. The noise (low level hiss or static) was at a constant volume depending on the gain setting you choose. There was no noise in passive mode.
The Freya S was discontinued shortly after I sent the second unit back but was recently brought back not too long ago. I have no idea if the new version of the Freya S has these issues. I have no idea if the hiatus was to deal with the noise issues.

corndog71

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2022, 07:40 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  I’m glad I’m not the only one this happened to.  Maybe I’ll try the +.

S Clark

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2022, 07:44 pm »
One last plug for the Dodd battery preamp.  This is the GR circle.  Remember that every GR speaker over the past couple of decades has been voiced and developed using Dodd gear.  They are a match from birth. 
Gary's been gone a few years now, but there are enough of his preamp out there that they come up for sale occasionally.  Look for 3-4 months and you'll find one. 

corndog71

« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2022, 08:17 pm »
Yeah, I searched but don’t see any for sale now.  And ones that have sold recently go for well over $1K.  I should’ve ordered one back when Gary was still kicking.

S Clark

« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2022, 09:33 pm »
Yeah, I searched but don’t see any for sale now.  And ones that have sold recently go for well over $1K.  I should’ve ordered one back when Gary was still kicking.
You're right.  They have gotten scarce and expensive.