LGK or X-Bravo

doc100

LGK or X-Bravo
« on: 24 May 2022, 06:07 am »
I want a setup for near field listening in a computer setup. Not too pricey, that money will be going to a better setup further down the road for another room, but I need a desktop now so I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of an LGK vs X-Bravo in terms of sound?

Thanks in advance

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: LGK or X-Bravo
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2022, 02:12 pm »
LGK is better for ultra-nearfield listening because it is single driver so there's never any discontinuity in the signal.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2022, 03:49 pm »
LGK is better for ultra-nearfield listening because it is single driver so there's never any discontinuity in the signal.

👍 +1 on the LGK for desktop listening. The sound quality is amazing and an added bonus is the smaller driver in the LGK makes for a narrower cabinet which takes up much less desk space.

These are the original LGK 1.0s. The 2.0 cabinet is a little different

doc100

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2022, 04:56 am »
Thanks for the responses both of you.

As a followup question, anyone know anyone who sells LGK flatpacks who's based in Canada? (By forum rules I can't search yet) Shipping from the US is crazy expensive at the moment and GR Research use UPS who will charge a fortune for brokerage fees, then show up to the door with a piece of paper to go pick it up somewhere else without even trying to deliver it. Anything I can do do get those fees down is a benefit.

I emailed captainhemo, they don't sell either.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2022, 10:12 pm »
Thanks for the responses both of you.

As a followup question, anyone know anyone who sells LGK flatpacks who's based in Canada? (By forum rules I can't search yet) Shipping from the US is crazy expensive at the moment and GR Research use UPS who will charge a fortune for brokerage fees, then show up to the door with a piece of paper to go pick it up somewhere else without even trying to deliver it. Anything I can do do get those fees down is a benefit.

I emailed captainhemo, they don't sell either.

Actually we have negotiated a really low rate with UPS on their expedited service. The rates are great and it includes brokerage fees.

The LGK 2.0's will blow you away with the sound quality, but output levels are limited. For nearfield applications they're great.

The X-Bravo will match the sound plus a little better clarity up top, lower bass extension, and much higher SPL capability. But, it is a much larger speaker.

doc100

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2022, 06:47 am »
That's good to know. It's a bit ridiculous what they charge otherwise, was just under CA$50 on a CA$100 item I bought last year.

Thanks for the info on the differences. Will size them up over the weekend.

Drew Drop

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2022, 06:42 pm »
Kinda of on the same subject as far as speakers. I'm thinking of getting the bravos or encores and then getting the LGK and using only one as a center channel for a small desktop movie watching type thing. What do all think? Waste of time? I was figuring it would be a fun way to get my feet wet with all this DIY stuff.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2022, 06:10 pm »
Kinda of on the same subject as far as speakers. I'm thinking of getting the bravos or encores and then getting the LGK and using only one as a center channel for a small desktop movie watching type thing. What do all think? Waste of time? I was figuring it would be a fun way to get my feet wet with all this DIY stuff.

Great idea.

doc100

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2022, 01:41 pm »
Hi Danny,

re:
Actually we have negotiated a really low rate with UPS on their expedited service. The rates are great and it includes brokerage fees.

I have a shipment, order 226216, that's coming into Canada via UPS, value USD$628.80 + USD$176.16 shipping.

No taxes on the invoice so those should be 12% of $628.80, or USD$75.46 or about CA$99.

Got an email from UPS where they want "import fees" for $114.81 CAD.

Import fees are due on this shipment. Select Pay Now to pay online and expedite the delivery of your package. Save the $5 ICOD fee with an online payment.*

Doesn't seem like brokerage fees are really being covered on the shipment, or at least UPS are being UPS and masking some fees. Do you know if that's an error or if there's anything that can be done on that?

Edit: I called UPS just now and they're saying the difference is brokerage fees and to contact you about it. Breakdown they provided:

GST: $40.84
PST: $57.17
Brokerage: $16.80.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2022, 03:41 pm »
Hi Danny,

re:
I have a shipment, order 226216, that's coming into Canada via UPS, value USD$628.80 + USD$176.16 shipping.

No taxes on the invoice so those should be 12% of $628.80, or USD$75.46 or about CA$99.

Got an email from UPS where they want "import fees" for $114.81 CAD.

Doesn't seem like brokerage fees are really being covered on the shipment, or at least UPS are being UPS and masking some fees. Do you know if that's an error or if there's anything that can be done on that?

Edit: I called UPS just now and they're saying the difference is brokerage fees and to contact you about it. Breakdown they provided:

GST: $40.84
PST: $57.17
Brokerage: $16.80.

Okay, I am checking into this.

Next time send this via email to get a faster response.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2022, 03:48 pm »
All of this has been forwarded over to our UPS rep in detail.

doc100

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2022, 04:19 pm »
Thanks Danny

la80vette

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2022, 08:01 pm »
LGK 2.0's are AMAZING. Don't expect a lot of bass but the bass you get is so detailed and cohesive. Oh, and the "burn in" thing,.... that's real.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2022, 03:46 pm »

I'm going to present a slightly different view on this. I'm not against desktop 3.0 but there are some limitations to at least be aware of. My experience has been that micro surround setups are not worth the hassle. A center channel under a desktop monitor with bookshelf speakers only 12 to 15 inch away on each side, doesn't give the physical separation /distinction that can help surround channels be beneficial. In addition to adding a 3rd speaker, you also need multi channel amplification and processing. I've experimented with this in past years, and I wouldn't recommend for a desktop setup.  Yes on at least a 3.1 for TV/ couch viewing,  but not for a nearfield desktop. You won't dislike it, but you also probably wont be impressed.   

By all means, spend some extra on those 2.0 speakers. You will enjoy them and 2.0 is always easy to repurpose later, but I've never been impressed by or experienced effective nearfield surround. Rear channels can have some benefit for gaming purposes but 3.0 nearfield doesn't add a lot. It has nothing to do with quality of speakers mentioned, the limitations are related to close proximities speaker to speaker and speaker to viewer.
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2022, 02:47 am by E-Zee »