NX-STUDIO Speakers Fresh from the Workshop

Frank M

NX-STUDIO Speakers Fresh from the Workshop
« on: 26 Apr 2022, 12:40 pm »

After nearly one year in the making my NX-Studio speakers made their debut in my upgraded listening room.  Warmed up the tubes; picked a 1957 recording of Red Garland, Coltrane and Byrd at their peak; spun up the turntable; dropped the stylus in the groove and sat back.
Damnedest thing after many decades of listening to these guys, the speakers and the electronics were now gone.  It was just me and them. 
If it's this good on day one, I expect it to be truly amazing six months from now.  My only regret is that my hearing now is not what it was when I started this journey back in the early '60s.  No matter, you make do.

Some details for those who might be interested.  The NX-Studios were assembled from Jay's flatpack using the techniques that Peter so painstakingly layed out in his videos.  Hickory veneer was applied to all exterior surfaces, again thanks to Peter for teaching an old dog many new tricks.  (Who knew a file could be used so effectively in veneering.)  I made sanding blocks, a la Peter, and prepped the veneer without any power tools.  The finish was hand rubbed shellac, 7 coats of a very light cut.  All interior surfaces have No-Rez applied, with or without the foam layer, as appropriate. (For example, foam was removed to attach the crossovers on to the bottom.) Polyfil was placed in the woofer cavity before buttoning up the enclosures.

My system:
Conrad-Johnson PV-12 preamp
Conrad-Johnson Premier 11A amp
VPI Scout II with Grado Statement Sonata II cartridge
2 - Rythmik F-12G subwoofers (GR Research paper cone driver and 370PEQ amp)
AQ Columbia interconnects, Cardas turntable cable
Steel shot filled speaker stands with Isoacoustics GAIA isolation footers
GR Research speaker cables
GR Research power cable
Dedicated AC power

Thanks to many posters here and a special thanks to Danny for a first class design and Peter for his terrific woodworking lectures (the devil is in the details - I watched the full-up veneering video several times - really) for making this journey great.
Be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Frank
St. Augustine FL

Jaytor

Re: NX-STUDIO Speakers Fresh from the Workshop
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2022, 01:30 pm »
Beautiful job!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2022, 01:39 pm »
Frank, those look fantastic. I love the look of the lighter veneer with the black top and waveguide. Awesome job.  :thumb: Your thoughts on break in are absolutely correct in that they will amaze you now, but will knock your socks off in a few hundred hours. Mine did the same so just be patient. Pat yourself on the back and now you can sit back and enjoy the music. Just remember ibuprofen if your face muscles get sore from smiling so much. :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2022, 02:33 pm »
Very nice build!  Danny's designs are really first rate.  The NX-Studios are exceptional.  Enjoy.

kenreau

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2022, 08:39 pm »
those look fantastic, well done

Kenreau

kickngas

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2022, 09:43 pm »
Beautiful work. Enjoy!

Kaiju2189

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2022, 10:08 pm »
Sharp. Excellent work! I spoke with Danny today about my room. These are on a very short list of options.

Looks like the subs are sealed. I’m looking at sealed subs in my room as well. Curious how they blend with the studios or really just your overall thoughts on dynamics.

Keep us posted as they break in and you spend some more time with them.

spacemanspliff

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2022, 10:56 pm »
Nice build. I have the older X-LS encores which have similar internals to the old Skiing Ninja mod.  Does anyone here do assembly? I would love to hear this tweeter.

Frank M

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2022, 11:05 am »
Sharp. Excellent work! I spoke with Danny today about my room. These are on a very short list of options.

Looks like the subs are sealed. I’m looking at sealed subs in my room as well. Curious how they blend with the studios or really just your overall thoughts on dynamics.

Keep us posted as they break in and you spend some more time with them.

Thanks for the kind words. 
My listening room is small  11x14 with 10 foot ceilings.  The floors are Hickory on top of concrete.  I've added rugs and drapes over large windows and that has resulted in a "quiet" room.  My starting point with the subs was based on Rythmik's set-up recommendations and so far I like the sound.  I suspect musical tastes have a lot to do with how you position and set-up the subs. I wanted a seamless integration for jazz, classical and big band music and I'd say this set-up is close to that goal.

BTW, I do have a home theater set-up with all the digital goodies and ported subs that weigh at least 2 tons... well they seem that heavy when i have to move them.  The NX-Studios are in a room that is in a galaxy far, far away from that.

Frank

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2022, 01:35 am »
Well done, Frank. They really look nice. And sound nice to boot. I’ll bet you’re proud to have them in your home.

Frank M

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2022, 10:05 am »
Well done, Frank. They really look nice. And sound nice to boot. I’ll bet you’re proud to have them in your home.

Thank you Peter!

Sharing your knowledge and experience made all the difference in the final product. 

Frank