Anyone Else Hanging Tough With Their M3 Turbo S?

James Edward

Anyone Else Hanging Tough With Their M3 Turbo S?
« on: 20 Apr 2022, 09:49 pm »
I’ve had mine now for nearly four years- there was a brief period when I considered selling, and auditioned a few other speakers, but they really couldn’t top the full bodied midrange the M3 Turbo S provides. Then there’s the nearly unlimited dynamic range- these will really play loud and clean.
I saw another post here with someone looking to buy a pair of the vintage models like these- no replies as of yet…
Anyone else out there still really enjoying these? I’m glad I did not sell when the urge struck.

James Edward

Re: Anyone Else Hanging Tough With Their M3 Turbo S?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2022, 09:51 pm »
I guess I should add that I’ve not auditioned newer model Spatials, which may very well be leaps and bounds better. This is just a tribute thread to the M3 T S.

gnatster

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2022, 10:28 pm »
Still enjoying mine, purchased new in January 2016. No desire to part with them.

jseymour

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2022, 11:25 pm »
Purchased the M3 Turbo S in 2016 and did the Triode Master upgrade in 2017. I still very much enjoy them. When the current X series is replaced or updated I will start to think about replacing them with another set of Spatial speakers.  Nothing against current Spatial Audio Labs product.  I am upgrading my preamp and amp first.  And when I do replace the M3TMs they stay in the family  :D.  I will give them to one of my sons.

ric

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2022, 01:53 pm »
Yes, when I decided to upgrade a few crossover parts with Jupiter caps and Path resistors I pretty much committed to keeping them. Since then, I have worked on tweek upgrades and minor room treatments as a way of fine tuning the system. I do realize that the newer models offer cleaner, more precise bass and imaging, but to what degree with the upgrades I've done I do not know.
It is not my goal to have the latest greatest (see my piece on the money onion) and I am very happy with the sound I am getting--I am not hearing any weaknesses in my system. If any of you can solder, consider replacing the cheaper stock resistor with a Path resistor, and/or trying out Tweek Geeks QSA duplex outlets.
Happy listening!

catluck

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2022, 02:51 pm »
James Edward I get your engagement with the M3 turbos. I had the M1 platform and LOVED it. Did all the upgrades as well. And, yes, I found the midrange supremely musical and dynamic as you note.  That horn compression tweet spewed brass into the room like no woman's business.  But I couldn't resist the upgrade bug reading about the Sapphires. My issue with the Turbos was the nearly absent bass (compared to the Sapphires) and absence of  high-end detail/air.  The Sapphires are simply a different product altogether.  Not to "down" the Turbos. I loved them and kept them for 3 years.  In fact, I would say the Sapphires don't have the tonal density of the Turbos (in the midrange). But the Sapphires other sonic attributes conspire to make them a far more musical speak IMO. And I know that my opinion is worth nothing. Hell, it's barely even interesting to me.  But, if you have a chance, give a listen to the Sapphires and see what you think. Take care and enjoy. 

aniwolfe

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2022, 02:59 pm »
I do realize that the newer models offer cleaner, more precise bass and imaging, but to what degree with the upgrades I've done I do not know.

I did compare the M3 Triodemasters to the X2's in my listening room and decided the X2's were a huge upgrade in listening pleasure. Now that doesn't mean it's "better" to everyone, but to me I heard a more refined instrument sound with a much more believable soundstage compared to the older M3 series. So to answer your question, IMHO the degree is HUGE!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2022, 04:55 pm »
I did compare the M3 Triodemasters to the X2's in my listening room and decided the X2's were a huge upgrade in listening pleasure. Now that doesn't mean it's "better" to everyone, but to me I heard a more refined instrument sound with a much more believable soundstage compared to the older M3 series. So to answer your question, IMHO the degree is HUGE!

I had a similar experience with the X3's.  IMO, if you have a prior generation Spatial speaker, consider making the change to current versions.  Clayton has really created something special with this latest generation.

undertowogt1

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2022, 06:01 pm »
I am still Rocking my M3 T. I did redo the entire cross over. Ive upgraded all the electronics and the X O sit outside the speaker now. If I do ever upgrade it will be another Spatial Product but my M3T will go upstairs to a secondary system for sure.

James Edward

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2022, 09:34 pm »
James Edward I get your engagement with the M3 turbos. I had the M1 platform and LOVED it. Did all the upgrades as well. And, yes, I found the midrange supremely musical and dynamic as you note.  That horn compression tweet spewed brass into the room like no woman's business.  But I couldn't resist the upgrade bug reading about the Sapphires. My issue with the Turbos was the nearly absent bass (compared to the Sapphires) and absence of  high-end detail/air.  The Sapphires are simply a different product altogether.  Not to "down" the Turbos. I loved them and kept them for 3 years.  In fact, I would say the Sapphires don't have the tonal density of the Turbos (in the midrange). But the Sapphires other sonic attributes conspire to make them a far more musical speak IMO. And I know that my opinion is worth nothing. Hell, it's barely even interesting to me.  But, if you have a chance, give a listen to the Sapphires and see what you think. Take care and enjoy.
This reply is spot on with my findings… I added a sub- the Hsu ULS15 MK2, as I also found the bass a little shy- while keeping the M3’s running full range- as I said, dynamics is no issue with them. I later added the TAKET Batpro2 supertweeter for  more ‘air’.
I have had nothing but issues with bass in my room over the years- many speakers have come and gone. The combination of a sealed Hsu sub and the M3 T S is a winner.

ric

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2022, 01:44 pm »
James, I think if you replace the stock resistor with a Path Audio resistor (if you haven't) you will find much more air as well! I haven't had any problem with bass as others have mentioned, but I do use two subs (older Hsu). It did take a question of bass balance--even moving the speakers towards the corners by an inch made a difference.

James Edward

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2022, 11:47 pm »
James, I think if you replace the stock resistor with a Path Audio resistor (if you haven't) you will find much more air as well! I haven't had any problem with bass as others have mentioned, but I do use two subs (older Hsu). It did take a question of bass balance--even moving the speakers towards the corners by an inch made a difference.
Tell me more- instructions for replacement would be welcome in a PM- let me know. Thanks.

jachinboazicus

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2022, 03:54 pm »
Purchased the M3 Turbo S in 2016 and did the Triode Master upgrade in 2017. I still very much enjoy them. When the current X series is replaced or updated I will start to think about replacing them with another set of Spatial speakers.  Nothing against current Spatial Audio Labs product.  I am upgrading my preamp and amp first.  And when I do replace the M3TMs they stay in the family  :D.  I will give them to one of my sons.

Same experience, almost the same timing. I have run mine with a 1974 Marantz 4300 and more recently with a couple of Schiit Vidar's monoblocked via a MiniDSP SHD with DIRAC room correction.

The TM's definitely have more 'holographic' feel whereas the TS' had balls and a full mid range. The TM's are noticeably brighter. Part of me wishes I still had the TS' to compare.