Conrad Johnson SL-21: Blown out?

Etakit

Conrad Johnson SL-21: Blown out?
« on: 30 Mar 2022, 05:14 am »
Hi all!

I'm new here and looking for some assistance as I'm somewhat of a technical newbie.

A family friend gifted me a pair of beautiful Conrad Johnson Sonographe SL-21 speakers. They've worked wonderfully until recently I made an error while rearranging the inputs to my amp. I believe I plugged the out into the in (or something... I really don't know), and as soon as I turned the amp on, one speaker made a terribly loud sound. I believe the lower, bass part of the speaker is blown out as the cone is stiff. I've disassembled the speaker and when I popped the cone back out gently the sound quality improved, but only slightly. Images attached at the bottom via imgur.

Currently any bass audio that goes to that speaker sounds ultra-saturated and pretty terrible.

Does anyone know what might have happened to the cone, and if my assessment is correct?

And if my assessment is correct, how would I go about replacing/fixing the cone?

Thank you so much for any and all help. These speakers mean a lot to me and I would love to be able to fix them.

https://imgur.com/a/DGWQJE2

Phil_S

Re: Conrad Johnson SL-21: Blown out?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2022, 11:42 pm »
A couple of options.
1. Contact Conrad Johnson for support.  Are the drivers available?  Can they get a replacement from VIFA Denmark? buy 2
2. Contact Madisound to determine if there is an equilvant driver in stock.  VIFA is not one of the brands of drivers they sell.
If either of those options work, by 2, one for each channel to keep the speakers symmetrical.

Good Luck!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2022, 12:04 am »
Conrad-Johnson doesn't even list speakers in their discontinued products section, I think you'll be looking at third party replacements.

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2022, 12:49 am »
You might try Millersound.  They are well known in the speaker repair world and list Vifa as a brand they repair.

http://www.millersound.net/speaker-brands-millersound-services.html