Newbie needs help

choqueiro

Newbie needs help
« on: 2 Feb 2022, 08:07 pm »
So here we are. In “AudioCircle”. It’s an honor and a pleasure. I don’t lie you if I tell that I’m a little bit frightened. My knowledge in audio is very little and here there a lot of people with a lot of experience. Let’s hope you can help me!!

My name is Juan. I´m from Spain. I’m 42 years old. Father of three children of 3, 5 and 7 years old (I´m never bored.... hahaha). I work on a real estate company. We make buildings and sell the homes. Sorry for my horrible english. Let’s hope you understand me.

As long as I can remember, I have enjoyed music. I also liked machines and electronic components, so it´s not uncommon that I have finished here.

Many months searching webs, forums, shows, videos, "expert" opinions, "commercial" opinions, sellers with "interests", sellers "without any interest"... Hi-Fi world is a long trip, a difficult trip with "shine" products and (at least) a five digit price... A jungle for rich men?? A paradise for the new economies?? Another "economic bubble"??... If you are a person like me, with little knowledge, it’s easy to be scared...

I'm looking to set up an hi-fi system. I don’t want “marketing brands”, I don’t want “marketing” devices. I want the true sound experience. I want a system to die for. I want the best. And if I’m looking for the best, “AuioCircle” is a reference and an essential stop. My intention is, if it’s possible, to know as many opinions and have a reliable and true orientation.

What I´m lookig for: dynamic sound, holographic and intimate experience (the speakers disappear and you are in the live concert), warm sound (I´m not closed to neutral fidelity but I don´t want fatigue and "in your face sound"), deep bass (but I don´t want independent subs) and good speakers at low level volumes (very high efficiency/sensitive speakers).

It is clear that it´s absolutely necessary to hear the speakers "in person". The problem: I live in a region with no specific audio commerces. Consequently, the comments and suggestions of people from “AudioCircle” are really important to me (expert and trustful advices).

Let´s talk about my room. It´s a big space of 41 square meters. The speakers are at 4 meters between each other and they are at 0,5 meters from the wall. The sofa is at 3,5 meters from the speakers aprox. This is my actual room. No specific treatment. Is a rented home so I´m not going (I can´t) make any change. In two years I´ll go to a new home. The dimensions of the new "audio space" will be similar or even bigger.

Music preferences (right now I´m really eclectic and I like a lot of music genres): soul, jazz, classics and a lot of rock (that´s the reason of looking to deep bass capable speakers).

Devices: I will choose the Power Amp + Pre + DAC + turntable after choosing the speakers. All new. (In principle I prefer valves).

I’m not going to deceive you. I’ve been through different stages since I started learning more about this world: cones, horns, vintage speakers and lately electrostatics (planars in general). My last stop: Open Baffles. I’m really impressed!! I fall in love inmediatly. The promise of a magic holographic experience and that the speakers could “disappear” as no other design, is like touching heaven to me, because this is the most important virtue I’m looking for.

Some questions:

1) To “your ears” are open baffle designs the best way to achieve a deep holographic experience in which the speakers literally disappear?? Beyond electrostatics and omnidirectionals??

2) Is my personal sensation or “classical” audiophiles don’t consider open baffles a reliable design in the high-end stage?? Snobbishness??

3) What is the general opinion about the Spatial Audio X3 Premium?? Did anyone heard them?? Is the top range of Spatial Audio?? We can expect something new from Spatial beyond the X3 Premium??

4) NX-Otica’s vs Spatial?? Are the Otica’s the new king?.

5) I don’t want DIY designs. I know that open baffles is a design that have more potential than any other designs to the DIY but I’m not ready to construct anything. Many brands out there: Spatial Sudio, Pure Audio Project, Tri-Art, Fikus Electric, Diesis Audio, Soundkaos, Kyron Audio… Which brand/model is the best open baffle actually in your opinion??

6) Does premium brands have sense in open baffle speakers?? Are they worthy in your opinion?? Any recommendation in this premium segment??

7) Is there any other speaker/technology that would you recommend me instead of open baffles according to my needs and musical tastes?? The one that you will have for your own home?? I want the best in terms of sound. I want speakers to die for (haha).

Thanks in advance to everyone for your interest and sorry if some of the questions are not properly of this Spatial Audio thread.

Mr. Big

Re: Newbie needs help
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2022, 02:53 pm »
Hi Juan, There is so much information here already for you to answer your own questions. Many posts from real owners, the only thing you would have to do if figure out the model you want, they are all really good. I had Quad Electrostatic speakers for years and I am happy with the Spatial M3 Sapphires. They made the music come alive with dynamics and deep detailed bass that is the foundation of all music reproduction.

ric

Re: Newbie needs help
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2022, 02:57 pm »
Hola! I am reading that you "want the best" and don't want to be duped (deceived) by someone selling their product, just to sell their product.
Number one
1) the best is an illusion. What is best today will be good tomorrow (and something else will be the new best), so get what is good, not best.
2) What is your budget? Are you willing to buy used equipment or does everything need to be new? In this mega buck hobby, what can you afford? the sky is the limit.
3) What is your medium of choice, streaming, cd's, vinyl, tape?
4) Once you have gotten recommended components (amp, speakers, sub, streamer, DAC, speaker wire, power cables, interconnects) that is only part of the equation. Room acoustics, and system synergy (how they work together) are very important, AND! your ears need to develop in order to determine what good sound is! Just buying good equipment does not necessarily mean you will have good sound!

I am biased in your direction since I am an owner of an older Spatial Audio product (M3 Turbo S) and I have nothing but good things to say about open baffle SA speakers. My opinion would be to contact Clayton at Spatial Audio and find out what HE recommends, given your room size and sound preferences. He knows what amps sound good with his speakers, as do many other members here, and I would also recommend tube amps. I'm sure many others will have opinions! good luck with your quest!