Can Spatial audio do classic rock well ?

Mike in NJ

Can Spatial audio do classic rock well ?
« on: 28 Jan 2022, 10:57 pm »
Looking to see what hi-efficiency speaker will do well with classic rock ?
I’m looking down the road at: Spatial audio, Pure Audio Project or Klipsch Forte 4’s
Thanks

deadhead

Re: Can Spatial audio do classic rock well ?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2022, 11:17 pm »
I have a pair of X3s hooked up to an Art Audio 300B amp (10wpc) being fed by an Oppo 205 (Transport) through a Weiss DAC.  With the right recordings the sound is absolutely stunning.  Listening to Pink Floyd "Wish you were here" right now and it's exceptional.  This is a trial of the Amp and Dac but without question it's the best I've heard these sound.

RonN5

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2022, 11:29 pm »
I have a pair of Spatial M3 Sapphires...they can do EVERYTHING well, you should hear Steppenwolf on them.  The Spatials do a great job of making music come alive.

DaveWin88

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2022, 11:46 pm »
Have the M6's here. Very limited rock tunes at the moment, but let me tell you, the newer Satriani sounds unreal on the Spatials. The bass is excellent on these newer recordings. Like deadhead says. if the recordings are good, you will be rewarded. There are very very few? limitations to what the Spatials can do well.

westyjeff

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2022, 12:42 am »
I have M3 Hologram, I’m using a Vincent K35 EL34 tube amp and Hypex NC1200 mono blocks, both work very well presenting classic rock with the M3. I highly recommend these speakers if you can get them away from your walls!

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2022, 03:12 am »
I’m looking down the road at: Spatial audio, Pure Audio Project or Klipsch Forte 4’s
Thanks
I've listened to Dire Straits on my X5s many times and they sound unbelievable, as their recordings tend to be pretty good. 

Side note: I considered Pure Audio Project, but I didn't like the idea of receiving the speaker in separate parts, which came from different vendors and I had to put it together myself.  Kinda cool to build it yourself, in a way, but I felt the speaker manufacturer should ensure quality control inspections on a fully constructed speaker, then ship it to the customer.  The customer becomes the quality control inspector with Pure Audio Project because you have to put it together yourself.  Then, I thought about resale with that kind of speaker setup?  I spoke to Clayton and he was great to work with and I felt more comfortable with his product.  Ze'ev, of Pure Audio Project, was a very nice guy as well, but I chose Spatial Audio and haven't regretted my decision.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2022, 06:31 am »
Thanks

They all play classic rock well.  The Forte's have a very percussive, forward sound and are a bit unruly with their stock crossover.  If I only listened to rock and I had a better quality room, I might have kept my Forte's.  But given that I listen to a wide variety of music and I have an imperfect room, I'm glad I moved to the X3's.

geerock

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2022, 03:02 pm »
Thanks
Mike
I have the X5's and also recently last fall auditioned the Klipsch Forte's and the Cornwalls.  The Cornwalls are a big step up from the Fortes even in stock mode and for a few hundred bucks more than the Forte's I found a pair of B stock Cornwalls.  Theres a couple mods out there that are quick and fairly simple for both damping the box and horn, and for some easy crossover mods.  The difference is obvious and immediate and brings the Cornwalls up in another category over the Fortes.  I havent owned a box speaker in over 30 years but these things really perform when driving them with tubes.  Just an FYI.

Tangram

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2022, 06:48 pm »
No experience with horns but I have been horn-curious for a long time. Taking the room out of the equation (because you don't mention your room; would be helpful), if you are 100% rock (classic or otherwise, doesn't really matter) then I would go with the Klipsch. Very hard to beat the dynamics.

If, however, you are looking for a speaker that will be with you for a very long time, remember, music tastes change. Young guys that listen exclusively to rock music often find their way to jazz as they get older. I haven't heard a speaker that does a better job with jazz music from the 50s or 60s as well as my M3 Sapphires.

Mike in NJ

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2022, 03:51 am »
I used to own Cornwall 2’s and Cornscallas. Had Forte 3’s before. I sold them all for different reasons. I heard that both the Cornwall 4 and Forte 4  are more refined than the previous models. Always loved the quick dynamics of Klipsch speakers. Just wanted to try out open baffles.
My listening room is in my basement. It is 14’ wide and 26’ deep. The ceilings are 7’ high. There is a support column in the middle that limits how far I can sit from the front wall. The back of my chair is 12’ from the front wall, as it rests against the support column. So I’m 12’ from the front wall. It’s 14’ wide. And I have 14’ deep of empty space behind me. (The other side of the basement) The walls are studs on top of the cinder block wall, with half inch sheet rock. The ceiling is a drop ceiling, with 2’ foot square ceiling tiles. I have 3 Martin Logan Dynamo 11 subwoofers. (2 in the front corners and one to the side in rear)