Is the Eton midrange retired in Song3 Encore?

maplemusic

Is the Eton midrange retired in Song3 Encore?
« on: 28 Jan 2022, 08:20 pm »
Jim

I see that Song3 Encore and Beats use the same drivers ( are they not? ) except for the bigger woofer in Encores and the smaller one in Beats? Does it mean that the Eton midrange offered in the earlier generation retired?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Is the Eton midrange retired in Song3 Encore?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2022, 11:33 pm »
I believe that unit was dropped by the retailer.  But Jim can confirm or deny. 

JDoyle

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2022, 03:42 pm »
The Eton Arcosia is still featured on its website’s homepage, whether it’s available to Jim, IDK.
I think it’s a wonderful sounding midrange, but I think it’s the appearance of it that might make purchasers desire the AT midrange instead.
It’s that “Elephant on Tiptoes” look with the light cone and black mounting ring.
It makes it appear smaller than the tweeter above it.
I may eventually pull it and spray the ring silver (Jim told me how to do this), but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I do love my Encores tho!

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2022, 05:01 pm »
Jim

I see that Song3 Encore and Beats use the same drivers ( are they not? ) except for the bigger woofer in Encores and the smaller one in Beats? Does it mean that the Eton midrange offered in the earlier generation retired?

Here's the story...

Sometime last May, I contacted the US Distibutor asking about the availability of these drivers.  They were out of stock at the time and had emailed Eton to get an update as to when they might get a new supply.  After repeated emails, they never received an answer.  No problem, I thought, I'll just do what I have often done these days.  I looked for a European dealer with stock.  I found a few that listed the driver on their web site, but they were all backordered.  So then I went on eBay and found a dealer in Slovenia who indicated they had them in stock.  I paid for a pair and waited.  About July, I inquired as to why I hadn't seen them yet.  I was told they were backordered and would be available October 1st.  So I waited.  Finally, in December I asked for a received a refund. The bottom line is that this driver is simply not available.

Since we had used the AT mid successfully in the Song3 BeAT's, it was an easy replacement.  And I actually prefer the AT driver myself.  I find it a bit smoother sounding and more "musical."  So we finally decided to simply make a running change and switch to the AT driver from here on out.  It is a bit harder to work with, but the results are worth the effort.  As a plus, we now have one less driver to worry about with the supply chain issues plagueing the industry these days.

- Jim

maplemusic

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2022, 07:12 pm »
I guess its not been easy to keep the business running for many small business owners particularly in the audio industry - first with tariffs, then covid and now the supply chain issues and inflation :duh:. Any who you may want to update the product page which still mentions Eton at few places.

Scott586

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2022, 12:07 am »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2022, 07:14 am by Scott586 »