Anyone Switch from Klipsch Heritage/Ohm Walsh to Spatial?

bygrace

Hi all. I’m new to the forum and am seriously considering M4 Sapphires. I was curious if anyone here has switched from Klipsch Heritage or Ohm Walsh speakers to Spatials. I currently have Cornwall IVs, but am very intrigued by open baffle (and omnidirectional) speakers. I haven’t had an opportunity to listen to either type so any specific experience you have and reasons why you switched to Spatials would be greatly appreciated!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Anyone Switch from Klipsch Heritage/Ohm Walsh to Spatial?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2022, 03:54 am »
I switched from the Forte III's to the X3's.  They are very different speakers indeed.  I'm definitely glad I moved to the X3's, you can see a detailed analysis of their sound in my recent review - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179575.0

rockyboris

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2022, 04:24 am »
I am sure you saw the Gutenberg video on YouTube, he touched on that very subject. I have a pair of Heresy 4’s in my closet. Never heard the Cornwallis. With the Heresy’s they would play some music great, but a lot of music wouldn’t sound good. What I would say about the M4’s is they sound as good as the recordings, whether it’s rock, jazz, female vocals or classical.

geerock

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2022, 02:05 pm »
 #bygrace
Those Cornwall IV's are a very nice speaker.  And you are talking to a guy who has both Spatial X5's, and Cornwall IV's.  I haven't owned a box speaker for almost 30 years until Don Sachs mentioned the Cornwalls last fall and he told me about some mods that really brought them to another level.  Not that they aren't a very nice speaker right out of the box,  but a little dampening on the horn and enclosure, and minor work on the crossover and they really sing.  To this day I have trouble choosing which set I like better.  The bass is different between the two, with open baffle a bit more natural on some recordings which some people may not be used to.  Also the X5's can be more 3D soundstage and immersive at times, but it may be because of the room they are in.  Both those speakers are a great value and perform way above their cost level.  You may want to look into the mods for the Cornwalls as total it comes to a bit of time and a few hundred bucks for parts.  Then again, the Spatials OB design concept is fun to listen to also although I think you will miss the upper register horn in the Klipsch if you go to the M series.  If you are wanting to try Spatials I would go to the X series with the Beyma AMT or you may feel you've lost something in the upper registers.  The X5's to me are very immersive.
 Tough call.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2022, 04:19 pm »
If I had Cornwall 4's, I'd be quite content. That said, if I were curious about Spatial's, I wouldn't be opposed giving them an audition. Bottom line for me though is that I wouldn't sell the Cornwall's to finance a purchase of the Spatial's. I'd keep both for what would be a very interesting change of pace. FWIW, I have Heresy 3's and Ohm 1000's. They're in different rooms and systems, but I like what both bring to the table.

rooze

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2022, 05:18 pm »
Switched from Khorns to X3s a couple months back. For my tastes, Khorns are superior and I was too hasty in selling them. If you have the room the Khorns do things other speakers cannot do. My understanding is that Cornwall IV are a good substitute if you can’t fit Khorns in your space. Or La Scalas.

If you’re considering Spatial Audio and Klipsch, be sure to try and get a listen to both before pulling the trigger, they’re very different in how they present themselves.

abomwell

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2022, 06:27 pm »
Switched from Khorns to X3s a couple months back. For my tastes, Khorns are superior and I was too hasty in selling them. If you have the room the Khorns do things other speakers cannot do. My understanding is that Cornwall IV are a good substitute if you can’t fit Khorns in your space. Or La Scalas.

If you’re considering Spatial Audio and Klipsch, be sure to try and get a listen to both before pulling the trigger, they’re very different in how they present themselves.

That's interesting.  I used to own Khorns back in the early 70's and liked them a lot. I had to sell them due to a move where they wouldn't fit. After owning over 20 other speakers since then, 6 years ago I got the hots to hear and probably buy them again since I had fond memories of them. I lived in VA and the only place to audition a pair was in Chicago. I splurged (the trip was a birthday present to myself) and flew to Chicago to hear them. I was terribly disappointed in what I heard! I really wanted to like them but,  for my taste, they sounded too bright. In all fairness the room the dealer had them set up didn't do them any favors. With a properly treated room and some DSP I'm sure I could have made them cook but it was too much a risk to purchase them based on that audition. I'd really love to hear them again in a properly set up environment.

rooze

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2022, 08:10 pm »
That's interesting.  I used to own Khorns back in the early 70's and liked them a lot. I had to sell them due to a move where they wouldn't fit. After owning over 20 other speakers since then, 6 years ago I got the hots to hear and probably buy them again since I had fond memories of them. I lived in VA and the only place to audition a pair was in Chicago. I splurged (the trip was a birthday present to myself) and flew to Chicago to hear them. I was terribly disappointed in what I heard! I really wanted to like them but,  for my taste, they sounded too bright. In all fairness the room the dealer had them set up didn't do them any favors. With a properly treated room and some DSP I'm sure I could have made them cook but it was too much a risk to purchase them based on that audition. I'd really love to hear them again in a properly set up environment.
There are probably few other speakers as room-dependent as Khorns, for obvious reasons. The newer models with sealed sides remove some of the room placement issues, but they're still a big speaker and need some space. I gave up on mine too soon. There are a few mods out there that purportedly address some of their weaknesses without costing too much. I should've probably gone down that route. I think I could've ended with a speaker system far superior to the X3 and for less money.
I struggled far more with the X3's and put a lot more effort into trying to get them to sound right in my (problematic) room. I gave up after around 6 weeks or so. I'd probably look at Khorns again if another pair came along.

abomwell

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2022, 08:26 pm »
Khorns are also amplifier dependent. See John Atkinson's measurements in the Khorn Stereophile review.

rooze

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2022, 08:28 pm »
Khorns are also amplifier dependent. See John Atkinson's measurements in the Khorn review.
Good point. I tried three amps, the best match for me was an Art Audio Carissa with 845 tubes.

abomwell

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2022, 08:43 pm »
I struggled far more with the X3's and put a lot more effort into trying to get them to sound right in my (problematic) room. I gave up after around 6 weeks or so. I'd probably look at Khorns again if another pair came along.

Well, someone will end up with your X3's and, based on its phenomenal batting average, likely love them. And they are already broken in.

I was a manufacturer's representive for the largest band and orchestral instrument manufacturer in America. In my role I worked with hundreds of musicians over the years helping them find the right instrument for them. It was interesting how 10 trumpet players, for example, would love a particular model, and the 11th would find it unplayable! That's just the way it goes.

rooze

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2022, 08:47 pm »
Well, someone will end up with your X3's and, based on their phenomenal batting average, likely love them. And they are already broken in.

I was a manufacturer's representive for the largest band and orchestral instrument manufacturer in America. In my role I worked with hundreds of musicians over the years helping them find the right instrument for them. It was interesting how 10 trumpet players, for example, would love a particular model, and the 11th would find it unplayable!

That's just the way it goes.
Absolutely. I've already found them a good new home.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2022, 08:58 pm »
There are probably few other speakers as room-dependent as Khorns, for obvious reasons. The newer models with sealed sides remove some of the room placement issues, but they're still a big speaker and need some space. I gave up on mine too soon. There are a few mods out there that purportedly address some of their weaknesses without costing too much. I should've probably gone down that route. I think I could've ended with a speaker system far superior to the X3 and for less money.

What was the issue with the X3's in your room?

bygrace

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2022, 03:59 pm »
Thanks so much for all the great feedback. This is very helpful! :thumb: