Evolution one 12 v trigger

Larsf333

Evolution one 12 v trigger
« on: 12 Jan 2022, 10:46 pm »
I am considering to upgrade my current nuprime system with at set of evolution ones.
When studying the specs, I have discovered a practical problem. The evo ones can not be turned on and off using a remote control, as the amg/sta can.
They have a 12 v trigger input, but the problem is, that neither the amg/pra preamp nor the evolution dac has a corresponding trigger output that could be used for turning on the evo ones. That is really strange.

A possible solution to the problem may be an external 12 v trigger. I have found different devices, that can be manually turned on, or eventually by a digital source.
In order to find a usable solution I need to know if the evo requires a pemanent 12 v on the trigger for keeping the evo one active, or is it just necessary with a short pulse to turn them on or off?

janvda

Re: Evolution one 12 v trigger
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2022, 02:01 pm »
Hi @Larsf333,

Typically a 12V trigger input would require a constant 12V DC to keep the power amp alive. I myself use a USB cable (5V) with step-up converter to 12V plugged to the USB-port of my minidsp SHD studio to trigger my power amp, prior to this, I used the USB port from my streamer.

Larsf333

Re: Evolution one 12 v trigger
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2022, 03:54 pm »
Hi janvda,
Thank you for the reply. Sounds very reasonable, that 12 v constant is required to keep the amplifier on.
Using usb as a trigger is a good idea, but it requires a device with usb output, and my stream-9 does not have that.
However, when inspecting the stream-9 closely, I discovered that it actually has a trigger output!
That may be used to trigger the poweramp. It would be preferred, if the preamp or dac was the trigger, but there are no trigger out on them.