wireless surround sound? soundbar and other options...

DEP14

Ok,

To be clear.  I have my own dedicated audio room.  Yes, it has surround sound set-up using my SS12's.  Though I may change it to truly dedicated 2 channel listening.  Those speakers are not going away.

My youngest is 10 now, my oldest 19 (with a 12 and 17 year old in there for good measure).  I'm updating our larger room in the basement. New couch, TV, etc.

I don't know that I need a system with towers, receiver etc.  Just a nice surround system for family movies, and something the kids can bluetooth audio etc. 

I have a samsung soundbar and sub and I could add some cheap rear to it, but reviews are not good on the rears.  I would like the rears to be at least wireless, I don't think there is anything that is wireless and battery loaded out there.

But looking for anyones experience with something like Sonos or other options (even Bose).  This does not have to be a audiophile level surround system.  Just something solid for movies, sports, and that the kids can stream to. 

Looking for anyone elses experiences.

Jeff in the D

Re: wireless surround sound? soundbar and other options...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2021, 09:25 pm »
Would the Axiom Air Force (N3) be of any use to you? It has most of the functionality you are looking for. But, probably not easily integrated (or impossible) into a home theater system.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2021, 09:54 pm »
It's déjà vu all over again. This is a perennial question with many answers. But still, there may be new answers waiting to be discovered.

Until they are, I did a "Search" here on AC for "wireless" in the Home Theater and Video Circle and came up with 110 replies.

jd3

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2021, 11:54 pm »
Hi Doug,

I went though the same thing in my living room, but I ended up selling my AVR and center and bought a Sonos Arc.  I can stream to it from Apple Music or Roon.  I tried several sound bars before going the AVR/center route, but bought the Arc on the recommendation of a friend and it’s worked out great.

John

DEP14

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2022, 01:56 pm »
Hi Doug,

I went though the same thing in my living room, but I ended up selling my AVR and center and bought a Sonos Arc.  I can stream to it from Apple Music or Roon.  I tried several sound bars before going the AVR/center route, but bought the Arc on the recommendation of a friend and it’s worked out great.

John

Thanks John, good to have a solid recommendation on the ARC. It's one of a few I'm looking at.  I keep saying, just do a mid level receiver and separates in my mind.  But with the kids and my wifes thoughts a soundbar system probably is best in this room.  I still need a cabinet even though the TV is on the wall, so I figure why not just stick a receiver in there with the kids PS4 and games...  but keeping it simple is probably the best move.