X4's in my problematic room?

mfinity

X4's in my problematic room?
« on: 26 Dec 2021, 03:06 am »
hi folks - new here.  It's time for some upgrades for me.  But I've got some issues that won't be resolved. 

My system & situation. 

Current System - very simple.
Parasound Halo a.21 - Amp
Cambridge 851N - Digital streaming & preamp
Revel f208's.

situation:
I live in log cabin, and the audio system is in a loft.  - see pic.  Very uneven listen space, but I love it.  My current system sounds pretty good - it has it's flaws and all components are ready for the upgrade factory. 

I really like the idea of the X4's (I don't want to run power to each speaker, but could if really necessary).    For me function and form and both very important. 

My concerns is that one of these speakers would be right next to the right wall and the other in the open.  Given that this is currently sounding pretty good at moderate volumes with box speakers, any reactions to this setup with the X4's?  What should i expect? 

Thanks!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: X4's in my problematic room?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2021, 04:50 pm »
In my experience, OB's will do much better in a space like that than a box speaker will.  I say go for it.

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2021, 05:19 pm »
I have my X5's within 3' of a left full length wall, with the right side is essentially open to entry/kitchen/hallway. They sound fantastic!

abomwell

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2021, 05:52 pm »
By adjusting toe-in you can aim the null from the speaker at the reflection point located at that close wall. That will cancel most of the wall  effect there

rooze

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2021, 06:57 pm »
Can you set up on the long wall with your chair against the railing? (It’s a little hard to tell how wide the room is from your photos).
It would also be interesting to hear dipoles up against the rail with backs firing into open space, and your chair hard up against a treated back wall.
Otherwise, as has been said, dipoles give you the best chance of getting away with an uneven/ asymmetrical room.

abomwell

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2021, 07:52 pm »
An ideal setup would be where the sound washes past you and doesn't reflect back for a long time. That would significantly reduce or eliminate comb filtering off the rear wall. So, I agree, setting up with the chair at the railing might be ideal if you could manage it.

morganc

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2021, 12:46 am »
It will work well in your space.  However with that much space, if you like bass I’d either add in some subs or buy the X-3’s.

Mr. Big

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2021, 12:56 am »
My system is up in my loft, where I sit there is no wall behind me. The family room is below, so my Sapphires see no wall until 30 feet or so. My front loft area is symmetrical equal sidewall on each side so each speaker can be set up in a mirror image fashion. I am lucky that way and Electrostatics worked great as well as the Spatials. Rooms matter a lot so set them up in the best room you can and learn your room and how to work with it.

mfinity

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2021, 10:25 pm »
It will work well in your space.  However with that much space, if you like bass I’d either add in some subs or buy the X-3’s.

Thanks,  I was hoping to avoid the power run.   But will consider it.

mfinity

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2021, 10:26 pm »
An ideal setup would be where the sound washes past you and doesn't reflect back for a long time. That would significantly reduce or eliminate comb filtering off the rear wall. So, I agree, setting up with the chair at the railing might be ideal if you could manage it.

I’ve thought about that  setup as well. But I don’t think I can swing it with the wife :)

mfinity

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2021, 10:31 pm »
Can you set up on the long wall with your chair against the railing? (It’s a little hard to tell how wide the room is from your photos).
It would also be interesting to hear dipoles up against the rail with backs firing into open space, and your chair hard up against a treated back wall.
Otherwise, as has been said, dipoles give you the best chance of getting away with an uneven/ asymmetrical room.

If I get them I will def try it but long term the have to go at the far end.   The loft floor is roughly 22x14.