Ultra DAC question

mosalmo

Ultra DAC question
« on: 28 Oct 2021, 04:39 pm »
Hi all I have an ultra DAC playing bits from a Marantz 5004 cd player. The Marantz will play MP3s and I have a selection of high bit rate MP3s. Does that DAC handle those OK or do I need to play them through a separate RCA output from the Marantz directly to the Insight pre-amp.  Thanks.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Ultra DAC question
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2021, 08:21 pm »
I own an Ultra DAC but I am not sure.  Call Frank.

trebejo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2021, 09:29 pm »
I'm curious about this one too. I've been using an Ultra DAC for quite a while and I've never had to think about higher bit rate content (they play just fine as they come out of my computer without conversion). I kinda assumed that the software figured that out (bit of a loose metaphor, I guess). Your scenario is a bit different.

Did you get a chance to plug it in and experiment? It should not break anything to try it.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2021, 10:03 pm »
It depends upon what the CD player output is. It should be fine. If It works now, it should be fine otherwise, you'll simply hear nothing. I have JRiver on my computer which has a few 24bit 192khz recordings and the SPDIF converter will work with the 16bit 44khz input... except when I use the Audioquest Jitterbug. Go figure.   :scratch:

retnuh

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2021, 10:18 pm »
I’d assume the digital outs are sending PCM data in which case your CD 5004 would need to decode the mp3s in order to send a PCM data stream which your ultra dac would process just fine.