Set 400 review

Kw6

Set 400 review
« on: 3 Jul 2021, 06:10 pm »
Hi everyone,

Can someone post link of the review for set 400 and the valve version. I think it was reviewed on Soundstage few yrs ago and reviewer used them on Martin Logan electrostats!

Thanks 😊

WGH

Re: Set 400 review
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2021, 10:27 pm »
Are you thinking of a comparison between the SET 400 and 35 wpc Ultravalve?

The Fet Valve 400R Hybrid amp is no longer listed on the AVA site, the next amp in the lineup with tubes is the 600R Hybrid.

I have heard all three amps along with the Synergy 450 in different combinations, the SET 400 is definitely the sweet spot for AVA amps. We compared the Synergy 450 to the AVA Ultravalve Vacuum Tube Amp (35 watts per channel) on a pair of Nola KO speakers and at low volumes there was no appreciable difference. Of course, when bumping up the volume just a little, the tighter, deeper bass and unlimited headroom became obvious. I own both the SET 400 and Synergy 450, the sound is very close but the SET 400 is a little more balanced, smoother and disappears. The 600R doesn't have the warmth of the SET 400 so it may appear to have more upper midrange and treble but in reality probably doesn't, it definitely has greater headroom.

The Nola KO speakers are 90 dB, Martin Logan electrostatics are 91 dB so bass and headroom comparisons would be similar.

Just for fun I did compare my AVA SET 400 to the PS Audio Stellar M1200 monoblock amps which have 600 watts each and cost $5998 pr. I'm keeping the SET 400.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176173.msg1856501#msg1856501

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2021, 11:43 pm »
The SET amps and R series like the 600R are different animals.  I feel that the R series do have more top end energy or they use to when I reviewed the first iteration of the R amps.  I found the R amps to have more air and the SET to have a better midrange with more meat on the bones.  Neither one is better, it is just a  matter of personal tastes.  I prefer the SET amps.  The DVA mono's are even better.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2021, 03:31 am »
I found the R amps to have more air and the SET to have a better midrange with more meat on the bones.

Have you tried Jason's Hapa interconnects? The Quiescence S (Silver) work really, really well with the SET 400 - more air, more micro-detail with a deeper 3-D presentation. Very few people know how good the SET 400 actually is, the Hapa interconnects are like the AVA amp's soul mate, once they are together they never want to be apart. They will transform your Pass X250 amp too.

Kw6

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2021, 04:55 am »
All I remember was the review started out with the SET 400 and then he compared it to the hybrid on Martin Logan electrostats? I think it was Soundstage magazine and I also remember Frank pined it to this board but don't see it now and Google search no beuno!

Kw6

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2021, 04:56 am »
Does the set 400 have a yin character? Dark warm and smooth?

Kw6

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2021, 04:58 am »
Have you tried Jason's Hapa interconnects? The Quiescence S (Silver) work really, really well with the SET 400 - more air, more micro-detail with a deeper 3-D presentation. Very few people know how good the SET 400 actually is, the Hapa interconnects are like the AVA amp's soul mate, once they are together they never want to be apart. They will transform your Pass X250 amp too.

Nice! I think I will prefer SET too!🙂

Kw6

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2021, 05:03 am »
The SET amps and R series like the 600R are different animals.  I feel that the R series do have more top end energy or they use to when I reviewed the first iteration of the R amps.  I found the R amps to have more air and the SET to have a better midrange with more meat on the bones.  Neither one is better, it is just a  matter of personal tastes.  I prefer the SET amps.  The DVA mono's are even better.

Great write up!😊

Kw6

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2021, 05:13 am »
I found it under Synergy 450 and it was reviewed by Enjoy the music.com😊

Does the new Vision set 400 use the same parts? Like the double die mosfets!

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2021, 11:32 am »
The SET400 uses the same Exicon double die mosfet output stage as the Synergy450, the FetValve 400R, and the FetValve 600R.  Everything before the output stage is different on all 4 amps. 

The new M225 output stage is different in that it only has 2 double die output mosfets per amplifier board rather than 4.  This reduces output power from 200-250w (600-850 bridged) to 60-100w (180 - 250 bridged), and raises the output impedance (which decreases the damping factor).

Dan

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2021, 06:45 pm »
Dan’s response might be a bit confusing.

The M225 is a mono amplifier running true differential mode with one internal audio channel for the plus channel and another for the minus channel.

It is rated at 225W and has four double die Exicon power mosfets (2 on the plus side and 2 on the minus side).

Two M225 amps can’t be further bridged (two per channel).  If you need even more power choose a pair of our DVA M600 mono amps.

Output power is limited by how high we set the voltage on the adjustable output stages’ regulated power supplies.  It is set to provide plenty of headroom.

Frank

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2021, 07:02 pm »
Does the set 400 have a yin character? Dark warm and smooth?

No, not really. AVA electronics have never been dark or warm since I have owned them. The evolution of the AVA sound started on March 2, 2009 with changes to the Insight pre-amp and DAC by changing the AD817 op-amps to Burr Brown OPA627AP op-amps. Previously AVA electronics sounded a smidge lean, they were still a bargain and sounded better than anything at that price point but paired with speakers that had the same characteristics they were sometimes not a good matchup. The change to the OPA627AP made the pre-amp and DAC more musical and natural sounding, kind of like the difference between listening to an acoustic guitar outside and then in a living room.

The AVA natural sound has been slowly and carefully making it's way into their entire product line. The SET 400 is slightly on the warm side of neutral but not that you would notice unless you heard it compared to a strictly neutral amp like the PS Audio Stellar M1200.

Kw6

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2021, 08:21 am »
Ok thanks for everyone's clarification!😊