Introducing the HAL MS-6 Music Server/Streamer

HAL

Re: Introducing the HAL MS-6 Music Server/Streamer
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2021, 09:27 pm »
Feedback from another HAL MS-6 owner is the system is up and running and working as his player and running MathAudio RoomEQ for room correction with his measurements from the Dayton Audio iMM-6 mic and cal data. 

Since the house curve is easily editable for the room correction, finding the one that works for your system takes a bit of time, but easily done.  There are stock bright and neutral response curves depending which works well in your room.  Those can be edited or totally user defined house curves drawn with the cursor and pointing device buttons.  The curve works with both the right and left channel measurements made with the calibrated mic. 

GentleBender

« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2021, 09:45 pm »
What DAC would you suggest to pair with the HAL MS-6? I need to put together a digital front end to pair with my Odyssey gear and am not one with endless funds. I like function over form.

HAL

« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2021, 10:00 pm »
Since I have been using AKM based DAC's for about 5 years, I have not looked around.  Both the AK4493EQ and AK4499EQ DAC's are very good in many different systems.  The XMOS U208 USB interface is one of the best ones I have tried.  The older AK4490, AK4495 and AK4497 are all very good as well.  The chips have selectable digital filters that I prefer to be able to try and see which I like.

The dspMusik 2x8 I use has 4-AK4493EQ DAC's.  The new dspNexus 2x8 uses either the AK4493EQ or AK4499EQ as they are modular.  Both have XMOS U208 USB interfaces.

There are multiple DAC's still available that use those devices.  Problem is those are limited availability due to the fire at AKM's foundry.

Another DAC I really like is the Wolfson Micro (Now Cirrus Logic) WM8741 DAC.  Those are available in multiple DAC systems.  Having the DAC filters selectable is a big plus as the Minimum Phase filter is my favorite in that DAC. 

Hope that helps.

GentleBender

« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2021, 11:28 pm »
Thank you. I will take a look around to see if I can catch any of those.

GentleBender

« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2021, 09:15 am »
I’m interested in the dspNexus 2/2 but prices and information are scarce. Where would I order one from? This is just for a simple stereo setup.

HAL

« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2021, 11:19 am »
The dspNexus 2x2 system is not available yet.  I will be selling them when available and will announce it.

The first version out will be the dspNexus 2x8 for $3000.00+shipping.   

The dspNexus 2x2 will come later with a TBA price + shipping.

HAL

« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2021, 01:02 am »
Another HAL MS-6 shipped out today. 

Looking forward to feedback from the demo.  :D

HAL

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jun 2021, 09:29 pm »
Next HAL MS-6 Music Server is packed and shipping tomorrow for a demo.   :D

HAL

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jun 2021, 03:16 pm »
The MS-6 that shipped is now installed and getting trials as a Roon Endpoint.   :D

HAL

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2021, 03:56 pm »
Another HAL MS-6 is headed to CO this week to be demoed as a Roon Core system.   The system already has an MS-6 as a Roon Endpoint. 

HAL

« Reply #30 on: 16 Aug 2021, 09:13 pm »
The HAL MS-6 now has a permanent home in CO!   :D

Pez

« Reply #31 on: 16 Aug 2021, 10:00 pm »
For the money how could one go wrong ? Knowing Hals expertise and musicianship should sound just fine.

charles

I bought one a while back. Check my review below. To summarize, this server is an incredible value with sound quality that trumps a lot of options.

HAL

« Reply #32 on: 16 Aug 2021, 11:34 pm »
Here is Pez's review of the HAL MS-6.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176302.0

HAL

« Reply #33 on: 11 Sep 2021, 11:44 pm »
The person demoing the latest MS-6 shipped, compared it to his MAC Mini both running Audirvana.

His words about the HAL MS-6 in his system:

"Certainly much quieter than the mac mini it replaces. You can really tell when listening just how low the noise floor is.  It really sounds beautiful!"

Made my day! 🙂

jmolsberg

« Reply #34 on: 19 Sep 2021, 02:16 pm »
I was the one demoing the MS-6. Actively looking to replace my ten year old mac mini with a streamer and became aware of the MS-6 thanks to this neat community. My mac mini has been rock solid and good sounding. I was actually scared to have to mess with a new technology. Some chats with Rich and Pez and I took a small leap of faith.

The MS-6 was delivered with all items needed to get up and running, including the USB driver pre installed for my Audio Mirror dac. The unit itself is quite charming and literally fits anywhere - it is tiny. I elected for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and utilize the HDMI to the TV. I have been using the mac with Audirvana /Qobuz and was able to get the same setup running with wifeys help. I probably could have done just fine without her but….

So how does the MS-6 sound? In one word, MUSICAL! Pez (Jason) of HAPA Audio wrote something to the effect that it was like inserting an R2R dac and you just know it’s right. I’ll be honest, I was skeptical, but I must agree with his sentiments, it just sounds right. It took me the weekend to get a handle on what I was hearing or not. And what I wasn’t hearing was noise. The MS-6 prioritizes the music and really does so beautifully. It continues to get better as it breaks-in. Highly recommended folks!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #35 on: 28 Oct 2021, 12:15 pm »
I wonder if I correctly understand what position this unit takes in a system. Am I correct in thinking that it can stream content from the internet via ethernet cable or wifi, and feed this signal into a USB cable to a DAC?

My main DAC is not equipped for USB input. I use a DDC to convert USB to SPDIF, but I'd like to bypass it if possible. My DAC can accept SPDIF and AES/EBU inputs. Can you reconfigure the MS-6 for either of these?

Michael

HAL

« Reply #36 on: 28 Oct 2021, 01:07 pm »
Hi Michael,
The MS-6 is as you describe in the first question.  It is designed to stream content via WiFi or Ethernet to a USB DAC, or direct playback from USB based storage.

The motherboard does not have a S/PDIF coaxial or AES-EBU style interface or a PCI slot for expansion, so a USB to S/PDIF converter would be needed.

Rich

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #37 on: 28 Oct 2021, 08:44 pm »
Rich,

Thank you.

I recently discovered my DDC has some sort of filter inside that prevents me from hearing differences between different USB cables. Do you suppose this filtering would prevent my being able to hear the difference between my Mac Mini and your device?

Michael

HAL

« Reply #38 on: 28 Oct 2021, 09:00 pm »
Michael,
You are welcome!

I have no way to tell if the DDC will have the same effect with the MS-6 for S/PDIF use.  It would have to be tried to hear what happens.

If you like, you can message me about a demo MS-6 unit for listening trials.

Rich

HAL

« Reply #39 on: 10 Feb 2022, 02:55 am »
Another HAL MS-6 system has replaced a MAC Mini 2012 music server running Audirvana for music file replay and streaming.