Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

gwhphoto

Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #640 on: 19 Oct 2023, 07:01 pm »
OK, have my wifi extender set up, have my audiophile ethernet cable, and waiting for the BR-20 to arrive.

Thanks everyone for their responses, and I saw in the newsletter area that James recommended exactly the same set-up!

Next question:  adding streaming services.

It seems that MM has Tidal and Quboz embedded in it and I can set up those services within the BR-20/MM operating system.

But, I am a heavy classical listener.   How do  I add Apple Classical (the best classical streaming service out there), and other streamers like Idagio and Presto?   Can MM add these just like adding apps to my phone?

Or, would I need to get Roon and set up all of my streaming channels in Roon?   Do I need any hardware for  Roon that is not in the BR-20?  (remember, just streaming services for now, no connected stored music library).

If not these ideas don't work, how do I stream these channels  in high res to the BR-20?  Do I need an external device like an Ipad?  Hardwired to the BR-20 or connected via wifi?  Will I lose quality connecting that way?

Appreciate any help on these basics.

bokko

« Reply #641 on: 19 Oct 2023, 10:04 pm »
With BR-20 you can turn on airplay then connect via your iPad that would get you CD-Quality on anything you play on iPad. At least with my iPad from 2014.

Now with a USB adapter you purchase from apple that allows you adapt your TYPE B usb connector on back of BR-20 to Type A connector (standard printer cable) on that adapter with lightning pass through. Was purchased for my camera years ago so nice to serve a double duty.
Now people use this connection for Apple Music, James and others have posted about that.
Have used that successfully myself.
I now use Qobuz with my iPad Air 2 circa 2014 which is just fast enough for this or Roon Remote.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2023, 06:31 pm by bokko »

gwhphoto

« Reply #642 on: 20 Oct 2023, 08:21 pm »
OK, just picked up a 2020 ipad pro.   I can connect via usb-c on the ipad to either the usb-b ports on the BR-20, or the USB-Audio port.  I have adapter cables for either.

Or, I can stream wirelessly through my wifi network that is connected via ethernet to the BR-20 (this ipad does wifi6  so should have plenty of speed).

Apple Classical, Idagio and Presto all have apps.

My question is, since I have  to divide my apps between Manic Moose (which only embeds Tidal and Quboz) and the Ipad for the rest of the apps, am I just better off putting Tidal and Quboz on the Ipad as well and using the iPad as the streaming source instead of MM? 

Will there be reduced sound quality compared to the streaming circuits built into the BR 20?

I hope James can offer some insight here since you said he uses a similar set-up.

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #643 on: 20 Oct 2023, 08:38 pm »
I use the IPAD with all the deferent streaming apps.

Also from a performance standpoint download your favorite songs and albums on to the IPAD and then you have a solid state hard-drive direct to your BR20 as the source.

Also if you have a USB C to HDMI cable try that and see what you think of the sound vs USB.

james

gwhphoto

« Reply #644 on: 20 Oct 2023, 08:50 pm »
Thanks James!

Does the BR-20 have HDMI-in?   Mine is on the way but will not have the HDMI card.

Dan H

« Reply #645 on: 20 Oct 2023, 08:56 pm »
No HDMI inputs without the HDMI card.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #646 on: 20 Oct 2023, 11:16 pm »
Thanks James!

Does the BR-20 have HDMI-in?   Mine is on the way but will not have the HDMI card.

Its an option.

james

himitsu

« Reply #647 on: 21 Oct 2023, 07:24 pm »
Its an option.

james

HI james,

I still not be able to order the HDMI card  :cry:

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #648 on: 21 Oct 2023, 09:18 pm »
We get a few each month.

james

gwhphoto

« Reply #649 on: 22 Oct 2023, 12:21 pm »
Hi James

Can the HDMI card be installed by a local dealer (South Florida, US) or does it need to be returned to Bryston?

gwhphoto

« Reply #650 on: 22 Oct 2023, 12:33 pm »
Hi James

I am going to take your advice and download some high-res recordings to the Ipad.

Does the BR-20 process DXD files?   I see there are more and more companies offering this format, which is supposed to be the actual studio original master format.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #651 on: 22 Oct 2023, 01:21 pm »
Hi - I know it does DSD so I assume it would do DXD.
Don't get hung up on the different formats - the Mastering is the number one contributor to quality music.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #652 on: 25 Oct 2023, 11:01 am »
Chris Baldock

Let me tell you how much I’m loving the Bryston BR-20 preamp, especially the ease of streaming to it.
 When I first set it up on the long weekend in September I was listening to my old collection of CDs and vinyl. 
Once connected to the network in late September, streaming was as easy as enabling Shareport.                                       
Then I could connect my iPad to stream Spotify to it from anywhere in the house. 
It’s limited to 44k (CD quality), but maybe an HD service is in the future.

alanford69

« Reply #653 on: 25 Oct 2023, 11:34 am »
Chris Baldock

I could connect my iPad to stream Spotify to it from anywhere in the house. 
It’s limited to 44k (CD quality), but maybe an HD service is in the future.

I agree on everything but… since when Spotify is CD quality? I know they have plans for that but still no official announcements. I think he should try Qobuz to exploit the full BR-20 streaming capabilities.

bcugk

« Reply #654 on: 26 Oct 2023, 11:06 pm »
Placed my order today for a BR20 with phono  :D

A question if I may, I have a number of dvd-audio discs, what are others using for a player?

The choices seem to be a used Oppo of any flavour or Sony 800 or 1000 series player either new or used

Thanks
Derek

bokko

« Reply #655 on: 5 Nov 2023, 06:43 pm »
Derek I use a Sony UBP-X800M2 connected to HDMI 1 on my BR-20, it plays SACD, DVD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Stereo as 2ch/ stereo. (Tested).
Sure 4k Bluray audio would be fine but don't own any disks.
Just make sure to default to stereo tracks in setup menus on Sony or connect BR-20 HDMI Out to extra input on TV and change to 2 channel audio as required for disks.
One of my go to disks for years has been Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at Radio City Music hall now on Blu-ray.
Sound pretty damn great 5.1 with BR20 in Home Theater Bypass, though stereo approaches 5.1 with right system.
The Blu-Ray of Rush 2112 is pretty awesome as well if you like that band

bcugk

« Reply #656 on: 5 Nov 2023, 07:19 pm »
Thanks for the response
And yes big Rush fan most of their 40th anniversary box sets have blu-rays included

bokko

« Reply #657 on: 11 Nov 2023, 08:26 pm »
Derek noticed you mentioned you were ordering BR20 with phono.

So tested the Sony with DVD-Audio on SPDIF, I had to go in audio setup menu on Sony force digital audio to PCM (from auto) (which affects HDMI/SACD wouldn't matter to you)

Then limited to 48khz on Digital out with 96khz/192khz it made ticking sounds if disc defaults to 5.1 audio. BR20 supports PCM only not Bitstream which was cause of ticking sounds.

The above settings allowed three disks to play fine but they didn't sound right until I forced stereo audio. (of course)

The BR20 only supports PCM so audio was bitstream being send.

Jerry
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2023, 12:26 am by bokko »

bcugk

« Reply #658 on: 13 Nov 2023, 01:09 am »
Thanks again
Awaiting my build
Can’t wait
Derek

gwhphoto

« Reply #659 on: 19 Nov 2023, 06:38 pm »
OK, I am hooked up, have activated Tidal and signed to Tidal through MM

I have the BR 20 directly connected via Ethernet  cable to a wifi6 node.

I have selected a new recording with MAX quality on Tidal. According to Tidal, max quality is up to 24 bit/194 hz.

I have set the BR/MM setting to "lossless".   But, when I stream it, MM shows me a bit rate of less than 1 ups.   This is far less than I was expecting.  Also, the bit rate display on MM shows it varies between

MM shows me sample rate of 44,100:16:2. The bitrate varies constantly with the music but never gets over 1000 Kbs.

On the front of the BR20, the 44.1K light is on.  Also, the "lock" light is on.   And, I cannot adjust the volume via the pre-amp but must do so from within MM

So I am not getting anything close to 192. 

Am I missing something?   Is there some internal mystery setting on the BR20 I need to adjust?  Something on Tidal?   Should I connect my iPad directly to the BR20 with a USB C to A cable?