Hobbs NX-Studio Build

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #300 on: 29 Jul 2022, 05:00 pm »
If anyone is interested in trying out Vcap ODAMs for yourself, I have some for sale in the Accessories section here on AC.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #301 on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:31 am »
Crossovers are assembled!

Next steps is to have some MDF boards cut so i can mount the crossovers to them like i did with the Miflex crossovers.
Then I'll finish wiring them up and get them burning in  :thumb:

Only thing I don't like about the Duelund JDM caps is that they have the leads on the same side and the only way to avoid shorting the leads on the metal cylinder was to cover part of the VCap in electrical tape.

The smaller VCap bypass on the woofer actually has a clear plastic film over it, but the Sonicap isn't made of metal.

Kaiju2189

« Reply #302 on: 3 Aug 2022, 11:11 am »
Hobbs. What’s a best practice for choosing values on bypass caps.

I have always just used 0.1 values in the past. I’m see you chose 0.01 on the tweeter and 0.1 for the woofer. I’m curious how you chose those values.

Thanks for sharing some knowledge.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #303 on: 3 Aug 2022, 12:35 pm »
Hobbs. What’s a best practice for choosing values on bypass caps.

I have always just used 0.1 values in the past. I’m see you chose 0.01 on the tweeter and 0.1 for the woofer. I’m curious how you chose those values.

Thanks for sharing some knowledge.

Normally i stick to 0.1uF, but in this case, the JDM silver foil caps only come in 0.01uF 0.022uF & 0.047uF. Silver is also known for being "bright" if overused, so keeping it small is a good option in this case. Though, if paired with a "darker" sounding cap like the Jupiter copper caps, it can help to balance out the tone, especially up top.

If i had stuck to copper foil bypass caps, I would have used 0.1uF since it's tonal influence tends to be more smooth/lush.

With large caps (30uF+) most often used in the mid or bass circuit, you want to stick to values that are 1/100th of the main cap to avoid phase shift in audible ranges. So if you have a 75uF cap in the mids a 0.68uF bypass is about as big as you want to go.
A 100uF cap can be bypassed with up to 1uF.

mkrawcz

« Reply #304 on: 3 Aug 2022, 12:48 pm »
Crossovers are assembled!

Next steps is to have some MDF boards cut so i can mount the crossovers to them like i did with the Miflex crossovers.
Then I'll finish wiring them up and get them burning in  :thumb:

Only thing I don't like about the Duelund JDM caps is that they have the leads on the same side and the only way to avoid shorting the leads on the metal cylinder was to cover part of the VCap in electrical tape.

The smaller VCap bypass on the woofer actually has a clear plastic film over it, but the Sonicap isn't made of metal.
Nice work on that. Those caps will need at least 100hrs to open up enough to be listenable.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #305 on: 3 Aug 2022, 01:58 pm »
I plan to give them at least 400 hrs, but ill be sure to check in on their progress from start to finish.  :thumb:

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #306 on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:28 pm »
Thats nice, i like that.

I have Sonicaps with Miflex bypass. I was thinking maybe add 1 ODM Vcap and 1 Duelund JDM  to my Miflex for a blend.

I looked for those resistors but I think they are sold out and they were discontinued.

Anyway, thanks and keep us updated.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #307 on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:46 pm »
I found the resistors on partsconnexion. they are discontinued, but  they were still available at a decent price. They do have a newer version which is black, but im not sure what the differences are, plus they were 2x the price, even on sale.

mkrawcz

« Reply #308 on: 3 Aug 2022, 06:28 pm »
BTW Hobbs, I can’t tell from the picture, but make sure the leads of the bypass cap are not touching the case of the vcap because it’s conductive.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #309 on: 3 Aug 2022, 06:30 pm »
BTW Hobbs, I can’t tell from the picture, but make sure the leads of the bypass cap are not touching the case of the vcap because it’s conductive.

I mentioned it in the post. I used electrical tape to separate the V-caps from the bypass.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #310 on: 4 Sep 2022, 01:53 am »
I have both crossovers 98% finished, I just need to drill some holes for screws, that said, they are 100% usable and they are currently burning in.  :thumb:

My system is in a bit of chaos as I need to have my pre-amp serviced, so I'm currently just using my Sprout 100, and even fresh, they sound really good.
I've got 3 weeks of burn-in ahead of me, so I'll hold off on any judgment for the time being.

Badd99

« Reply #311 on: 3 Oct 2022, 09:53 pm »
I have both crossovers 98% finished, I just need to drill some holes for screws, that said, they are 100% usable and they are currently burning in.  :thumb:

My system is in a bit of chaos as I need to have my pre-amp serviced, so I'm currently just using my Sprout 100, and even fresh, they sound really good.
I've got 3 weeks of burn-in ahead of me, so I'll hold off on any judgment for the time being.

Updates of the vcap odam vs miflex? Surely it's plenty of hours now

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #312 on: 3 Oct 2022, 10:59 pm »
They've got about 500+ hours on them, but my system has been pulled apart so I'm running everything on the Sprout 100, so im holding off on judgement for a little longer, plus I'm out of state visiting with familyfor a few days.
Once I get back home, I'll put my normal system back together and start doing my comparison of the crossovers.

Early B.

« Reply #313 on: 4 Oct 2022, 01:53 am »
... plus I'm out of state visiting with family for a few days.

What??!! How will GR Research get any work done this week without you?

Danny Richie

« Reply #314 on: 6 Oct 2022, 08:50 pm »
What??!! How will GR Research get any work done this week without you?

He was missed.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #315 on: 6 Oct 2022, 09:55 pm »
I'm back as of today.  :D

I put another 125-ish hours on the crossovers while I was away, so they've got about 650 hours on them now.

Badd99

« Reply #316 on: 8 Oct 2022, 12:11 am »
Vcap odam with dueland silver bypass is an incredible combo. Far beats the miflex imho.

Vcap odam and dueland pure silver bypass for tweeter on my nx otica and big mid cap bundle for the mids with 0.1 vcap odam and then added the 0.01 pure silver dueland silver bypass via alligator clips to just try and was like WOW guess I have to buy more of these!

Why did you pick those resistors over the path audio? The path audio have doubled in price recently but still at $33/ea they are incredible.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #317 on: 8 Oct 2022, 01:58 am »
It’s interesting that you are using 2 bypass caps.  I don’t recall anyone doing that before.  Coincidentally I recently picked up a pair of ODAM caps for my Super 7 tweeters.  I was going to replace the Miflex bypasses but I just added them by wrapping the leads around the Sonicap leads to help burn them in a little. 

The combo sounded great.  Eventually I took out the Miflex and soldered in the ODAMs.  Now I know I haven’t put a lot of hours on them but it felt like a step back.  Like something was missing.  It sounded flatter.  So I put the Miflex back and it sounded better again.  Like there was more warmth, physicality, or body.  Using 2 bypass caps might be worth investigating.

Badd99

« Reply #318 on: 8 Oct 2022, 06:38 pm »
I found the vcap odam with pure silver dueland combo incredible even with the pair together on the large cap bundle. I tried it on a whim with the alligator clips and was like dang! Time to spend more money and order more of these LOL

I run vcap odam for high-pass filter on xlr cables (2 pure side) and compared it with a miflex copper high pass of the same value and thr vcap were quite a bit better.

The vcap need minimal 350 hrs before you can judge them. Get a jdm pure silver bypass and change it for that miflex you have and you will see what I'm talking about!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #319 on: 15 Oct 2022, 02:57 am »
I finally got around to putting my system back together so i can give the new V-Cap crossovers a proper evaluation against my original Miflex-based crossovers.

I put about 700 hours on the V-Cap ODAM crossovers and they were quite dramatic in their changes during that burn-in process, especially before ~400Hrs. Sometimes sounding really nice, other times quite hard/edgy. Most of it was done using my Sprout 100 to save my tube preamp which was also out of commission at the time.

By 500+ hrs, that sharp edge was largely gone, and the recommended burn-in time is between 400-500 according to others on the forum, and my experience would definitely recommend that time frame as well, but your milage may vary.

Gear:
Source: Surface Pro 3
DAC: Denafrips Ares II
Pre: Tsakiridis Alexander tube preamp
Amp: Battery powered GR-Research GK10 amp.
Cables: all are GR cables except for the PI audio USB cable.
No subs.

For the first 3 tracks, I started with the Miflex setup.
Warm & lush tonally, with a very fluid and inviting sound, solid imaging with a really wide soundstage, making it easy to get lost in the music instead of evaluating them like im supposed to.
Everything I remember them being.

Then I switched over to the V-Cap ODAM network for the same 3 tracks.
Precision, separation and clarity abound, everything has its place, and is solidly locked into place. (Something I noticed on the Spatial X4 as well) It's really easy to pick out a lot fine, mynute details and layering that get could easily get smoothed over.
The depth & precision of of the soundstage is what impresses me most, however it's not nearly as wide as it is deep. Tonally, it's more neutral to cool, with bass & mid-bass isnt nearly as full as the Miflex, but I wouldn't call it sterile. You are able to see deep into the soundstage and into the music itself that isn't matched by anything else I've heard before.

The next 3 tracks with both crossovers proved to be more of the above.

They both have a lot to love about them, but are tonally very different. When I originally picked put the components for my Studios, I nailed the smooth tone i wanted, and i haven't been the slight bit disappointed since I finished them about a year ago now.

I'm really impressed with everything the V-Cap ODAMs bring to the table, their precision and clarity is unmatched over anything I've heard before. The depth and layering of the soundstage is also incredible. My only real complaints are that it's a little lacking in body down low, and the soundstage isn't as wide, and that i tend to get lost in the details hiddem within the music rather than the music itself.
Another thing I noticed that was when running these a few days ago on my Sprout 100, they can be a little edgy/hard, but with my current setup that's not an issue, but I can see this may not play as nice with some systems.

And because of that, I would like to have been able to compare how they would sound with the JDM pure copper bypasses vs the JDM pure silver bypass caps I have on there currently to see if I could soften that edge just a little.

Conclusion:
All that said they are excellent, and the V-Caps are well worth upgrading to, especially if you already love what the stock Studios are doing, as they essentially turn them up to 11 in just about every category. And if you're worried about the edge being a little too much in your system, stick to copper bypass caps (Miflex or Duelund) over the pure silver variety

While the Miflex caps are still my preference for their tone and lushness, they are much more difficult to recommend due to their massive size and higher cost over the V-Caps. They will never fit inside the cabinet. But if you want a warm, enveloping & rich tone, I can't think of a better way to go, even if they aren't technically as clean/precise as the V-Caps.

Cheers!  :thumb: