Hobbs NX-Studio Build

mkrawcz

Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #280 on: 20 Oct 2021, 04:01 pm »
His pair is the best sounding stand mounted speakers that I have ever heard.
Danny, try upgrading your NX-Treme crossovers. :D

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #281 on: 20 Oct 2021, 04:27 pm »
Congratulations Hobbs, you'll enjoy your maxed out NX-Studios for years.

Suggestion to Danny & Hobbs. This set with external crossovers is the perfect opportunity to demonstrate the effects of Good, Better, Best crossover parts. Hobbs has built the Best version. I expect know the basic kit parts are Good. Something in between as a Better level. I would love to see GR demo this at 2022 LSAF and/or Ron could do a video on New Record Day YouTube channel discussing the quality differences heard as parts get better and better.

Thanks! That was my plan! and having heard them in a couple different places now I'm really happy with them.

I've already told Ron that he has my permission to borrow them at any time.

and I definitely plan to build out a couple different crossovers for them. Starting with the el cheap-o crossovers.
I do plan to build a pair of stock crossovers in the near future as well, though they will need 400 hours to sound their best.
And I'll probably do a VCap/Duelund combo as well sometime later.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #282 on: 20 Oct 2021, 04:32 pm »
Danny, try upgrading your NX-Treme crossovers. :D

NX-Otica comes first since they still have the base level crossover and the original BG Neo3 tweeter.
I'm Curious what he ends up doing with them.

mkrawcz

« Reply #283 on: 20 Oct 2021, 04:59 pm »
NX-Otica comes first since they still have the base level crossover and the original BG Neo3 tweeter.
Going off what I experienced with the fact that I did the same thing with my NX-Otica crossover that I did with my Studios, you are in for a treat.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #284 on: 21 Oct 2021, 12:16 am »

What would a “better” crossover look like on the oticas? Something above and beyond the listed options?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #285 on: 21 Oct 2021, 12:43 am »
What would a “better” crossover look like on the oticas? Something above and beyond the listed options?

I mean at this point most anything would be an upgrade. Since its got none of the upgrades currently except Mills resistors.  :P

But IMO, using Miflex copper caps and Path Audio resistors for the tweeter, bypassing the sonicap & cap bundle in the mids with a miflex bypass caps, as well as foil inductors for the mids and tweeter, would make them really something special.

As for the lower woofers? Maybe just the bypass the main cap, but it's low enough I think its likely fine as is with just a basic sonicap bypass.

Beyond that, it's hard to say.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #286 on: 15 Jul 2022, 12:50 am »
It's been quite a while since I revived this thread, and they've been serving me well, every bit as beautiful and rich as they've been since the start!

However, I've finally started acquiring some parts, so I can build the 3rd crossover and do some direct comparisons between the V-CAP ODAMs & the Miflex!

The parts are as follows:

Duelund CAST Graphite resistors
V-Cap ODAM + Duelund JDM 0.01uF Silver bypass (Tweeter)
Sonicap + VCap ODAM 0.1uF bypass (woofer)
Foil Inductors.

Needless to say, I'm quite excited!  :thumb:

mkrawcz

« Reply #287 on: 15 Jul 2022, 12:57 am »
This is exactly my setup except I have the Path Audio resistors. The Duelund bypass caps make it really great IMO.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #288 on: 15 Jul 2022, 01:08 am »
Hobbs, you and I spoke a while back about the V-cap on tweeters as I've heard more than one person using the vcap odam with deudland silver bypass. Needless to say I'm interested to hear your thoughts on their performance.  :popcorn:

RonP

« Reply #289 on: 15 Jul 2022, 01:18 pm »
Hell Yes!

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #290 on: 18 Jul 2022, 10:08 pm »
Hobbs,
I wanted to reach out and thank you, for building various crossovers for the Studio's. I also enjoy experiementing to push the envlope further with R&D on anything I do. Huge thumbs up :thumb:
I have no doubt Danny appreciates your efforts too.  After all it's for the love of music right?

« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2022, 06:33 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

mkrawcz

« Reply #291 on: 18 Jul 2022, 10:21 pm »
I ended up building a new set of crossovers for my Studios, mostly just to hear what the Jantzen Silver Z cap is like. The answer is really good.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #292 on: 18 Jul 2022, 10:34 pm »
Hobbs,
I wanted to reach out and thank you, for building various crossovers for the Studio's. I also enjoy experiementing to push the envlope further with R&D on anything I do. Huge thumbs up :thumb:
I have no doubt Danny appreciates your efforts too.  After all it's for the love of music right?

The mod's, I made on Studio's with the acoustic panel's up top on the ramp, have me, very pleased with the result's. I'll say this, I won't be putting the NoRez back ontop of the ramp. My objective is always about the sound, regardless of the appearances. In this case, the sound and the appearance has reached my objective.  :thumb: 

What’s the material used for your acoustic panel on the ramp/sides/tweeter? Looks nice

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #293 on: 19 Jul 2022, 10:41 pm »
What’s the material used for your acoustic panel on the ramp/sides/tweeter? Looks nice

P.M. me, and I'll be more than happy to provide the details.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #294 on: 20 Jul 2022, 02:45 am »

« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2022, 06:32 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #295 on: 20 Jul 2022, 03:55 pm »
My apologies Hobbs,
I should have started another thread instead of chimming in on another topic.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #296 on: 20 Jul 2022, 05:22 pm »
No worries!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #297 on: 29 Jul 2022, 02:11 am »
Finally got all of the parts and the layout has been finalized! :thumb:

Now to design the boards to put them all on. :wink:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #298 on: 29 Jul 2022, 03:19 am »

:popcorn:

mkrawcz

« Reply #299 on: 29 Jul 2022, 02:02 pm »

Now to design the boards to put them all on. :wink:
Definitely interested in your experience with these caps compared to the Miflex stuff. My guess is you will like these better on certain music and maybe like the Miflex better on other music.