BDA-3 DAC

Norco74

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1460 on: 13 May 2022, 11:40 am »
It looks like S2.45 2022-05-09 is fixing the issue. Did some extensive listening last night and didn’t encountered any drop outs and stuttering. Thanks to the Bryston team.

I am however still puzzled about the lack of communication from their helpdesk or service dept.. An area for improvement.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #1461 on: 13 May 2022, 11:44 am »
I agree! I’ve been listening to hirez for at least 12 hrs and there’s been zero issues! Chris and the gang nailed this one!👍✌🏻

christo

« Reply #1462 on: 8 Jun 2022, 08:57 am »
For the record, The 3.14 doesn’t use the scratch disc. The manual hasn’t been updated to reflect this. I was told by Chris at Bryston when troubleshooting my unit.

Thanks for the heads up. I removed my FAT32 scratch disk and music thumb drives and went back to my old faithful. I think having the two FAT32 drives plugged in was confusing the system.

The new firmware update seems to have fixed the audio drop out issues. I had a few problems with the streamer a couple of weekends ago, but it seems to have resolved on its own since then.

FWIW, I use a 1 TB SSD plugged into my 3.14 and it draws power from the unit just like a thumb drive.

Huh..  I always assumed those would draw too much power. I'll look into getting one once space becomes an issue on my current thumb drive. Thanks again!

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #1463 on: 8 Jun 2022, 11:11 am »

Thanks for the heads up. I removed my FAT32 scratch disk and music thumb drives and went back to my old faithful. I think having the two FAT32 drives plugged in was confusing the system.

The new firmware update seems to have fixed the audio drop out issues. I had a few problems with the streamer a couple of weekends ago, but it seems to have resolved on its own since then.

Huh..  I always assumed those would draw too much power. I'll look into getting one once space becomes an issue on my current thumb drive. Thanks again!

Glad I could help!
By the way... check the current draw on any modern SSD and you’ll find they’re all well under the allowable maximum of 2amps. Capacity is less of an issue.
Enjoy the music! 👍🎶🎼🇨🇦

Norco74

« Reply #1464 on: 23 Aug 2022, 02:14 am »
I just saw that a few new BDA 3.14 S/W builds have been produced in July and are now available.

I am still running build S2.45 2022-05-09 that fixed the frequent music dropout bug.

Is there anyone on this thread that have actually upgraded and tested S2.45 2022-07-28 build?

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #1465 on: 23 Aug 2022, 04:02 pm »
I just saw that a few new BDA 3.14 S/W builds have been produced in July and are now available.

I am still running build S2.45 2022-05-09 that fixed the frequent music dropout bug.

Is there anyone on this thread that have actually upgraded and tested S2.45 2022-07-28 build?

I’ve just downloaded that update and so far no new issues.
 I still have to rebuild the Bryston db when I restart the unit, even though I have the settings correct for it to be enabled. ( it used to be a non-issue! )
 The name of the source drive is still truncated to Audi from Audio SSD, but that happened a few updates back.
 I still can’t play from the favourites list I created or delete it, or delete anything on it. That issue remains.
As for just playback from my HD, no problem. I don’t use Tidal or Qobuz so I can’t comment on that area.

✌🏻🇨🇦🎶🎵🎼

Norco74

« Reply #1466 on: 24 Aug 2022, 12:57 am »
Thank you @highendfool for your account on the new build.

I could possibly have a go at it next weekend. The most important thing for me has been resolved in the May build. 

christo

« Reply #1467 on: 1 Sep 2022, 06:25 am »
The new update seems to be working fine.

An improvement I've noticed is that if I leave my tablet open on the DAC inputs page it stays active for much longer and I don't have to go back to mybryston.com to change inputs. (What I really should do is get new batteries for the remote).

Another thing that might be worth noting, I recently got a MediaLight bias lighting strip for my TV. It's powered by one of the TV's USB sockets but it has this quirk of flashing when the TV is switched off (Put on stand-by) until I manually switch it off via the lights' little remote. If I'm playing some music via the BDA-3.14 streamer (flash drive via the myBryston interface), I will get drop outs whenever the lights flash.

This is definitely not a problem of the BDA-3.14 but rather of the MediaLights and in particular Sony TVs which seem to need to constantly reestablish an HDMI handshake.

If Bryston could come up with a solution for this, I will become a Bryston fanboy for life, as this HDMI handshake issue also plagued me when I used to play music through my old blu-ray player.

I will probably get a remote control on/off power switch so I can kill the TV's power when listening to music, but if you guys have a better idea I'm all ears.

steveoat

« Reply #1468 on: 9 Sep 2022, 12:10 pm »
What is the most recent firmware for the BDA-3?  Having difficulty locating it on the website.  Also, are improvements in the BDA 3.14 firmware, especially on the DAC side (which I understand is the same DAC as the BDA-3) also being offered for the BDA-3?

alanford69

« Reply #1469 on: 20 Nov 2022, 03:49 pm »
It looks like S2.45 2022-05-09 is fixing the issue. Did some extensive listening last night and didn’t encountered any drop outs and stuttering. Thanks to the Bryston team.

I am however still puzzled about the lack of communication from their helpdesk or service dept.. An area for improvement.

Hello Norco74 can you confirm the BDA 3.14 issue with hi res files is definitely solved? I am considering buying one and I am little worried by the limited performances of the embedded Pi3 which is little outdated (the BR-20 embeds a Pi4).

I guess the issue you reported applied only to external files, is that correct? I mean, as far as I understood, no issues when playing from Qobuz even at 24/192 (hopefully)

Many thanks for any feedback!
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2022, 11:02 pm by alanford69 »

christo

« Reply #1470 on: 21 Nov 2022, 02:31 am »
I have no issues with any high res file playback so far. That side of things seems fine over here. All the major kinks AFAIK have been ironed out.

Please note, the streamer is in a Pi module and so, like every other computer in the world, you will need to power cycle it from time to time to put the wheels back on.

If you are considering getting the BDA-3.14, understand also that you will need to feed it internet via an ethernet connection to use the streamer as the OS is located online. You will also need a second ethernet connection to make certain adjustments to the system, inputs etc, especially when you first get the DAC. If your modem is close to where you want to put it, no problem. I bought a small wifi mesh system.

alanford69

« Reply #1471 on: 21 Nov 2022, 06:37 am »
You will also need a second ethernet connection to make certain adjustments to the system, inputs etc, especially when you first get the DAC. If your modem is close to where you want to put it, no problem. I bought a small wifi mesh system.

Thank you Christo, I feel more relaxed now in my choice ;-)
About the second Ethernet connection you mentioned I think it’s the one labeled “SVC Ethernet” on the rear panel, is that correct? I was wondering what the purpose of that RJ45 port was. Anyway no problem since the router is on the same rack :wink:

christo

« Reply #1472 on: 21 Nov 2022, 09:10 pm »
About the second Ethernet connection you mentioned I think it’s the one labeled “SVC Ethernet” on the rear panel, is that correct?

That's right. I think that one connects to the DAC and the other to the Pi streamer.

The streamer is very basic (which I actually like). I only use it to play my Bandcamp purchases. My mate tried to use his Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions on it but was frustrated he couldn't find his playlists; he could only cue up individual albums/tracks. I think you're meant to use something like Roon to unlock those features. I don't stream so..  :dunno:

I haven't worked out how to load internet radio stations in bRadio via a copied link yet and there are tons of settings I haven't even touched so perhaps there is a depth of functionality I haven't explored.

alanford69

« Reply #1473 on: 22 Nov 2022, 03:00 pm »
Hello, just to close the loop, in the end I decided to trade in my BP-26 for a brand new BR-20. As soon as I will get it I will share my feedback on the dedicated thread (can’t wait ! :P)
Thanks again for the info shared so far, they will be helpful anyway!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1474 on: 22 Nov 2022, 03:41 pm »
Hi Folks - the two Ethernet connections on the back have 2 different functions,

One is for service and updates etc. and the other is for everyday listening etc. You only need to use the one for everyday listening and if you need an update or service, you can move the one Ethernet cable to the other input if required.

It is not recommended that you have both connected at once.

james

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #1475 on: 30 Dec 2022, 01:39 am »
I am a big fan of there BDA-3 and AKM DAC chips in general.  I see the original post was 2015.  Is there a BDA-4 on the way?  I see the AKM production is back "on" with a flagship chip coming with 135dB s/n rating and other measurement advancements from the past flagship AK4499.  The BDA-3 uses the AK4490 chips (fantastic implementation).  DACs kinda age in "dog years" so just curious.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1476 on: 30 Dec 2022, 02:08 am »
Hi mg8 - nothing pending.

james

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #1477 on: 30 Dec 2022, 02:43 am »
Hi mg8 - nothing pending.

james

Thanks!

thebiglebowski

« Reply #1478 on: 26 Apr 2023, 01:58 pm »
I updated the firmware on my BDA-3 in 2021 and it broke so I put it away in the cupboard. Looking to try and fix it now but not sure how to recover the device.

It powers on with green power LED lit and the USB1 is currently lit red but I can't select any other inputs. The DAC has got an IP address but the web interface is not responding.

Any advice as I can't find much help on the Bryston website and they have not replied to any emails I sent over the last 2 weeks?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1479 on: 26 Apr 2023, 06:08 pm »
Ill have to setup a remote support session to fix this.
Can I have his name and email address?

Adam Tanner
Senior Technician
Bryston, Ltd.
atanner@bryston.com