On-the-fly Phase Invert/Change?

icefox

« on: 12 Oct 2004, 09:07 am »
Hi,

I would like to know if the device shown in http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/bridge/index.htm would allow on-the-fly change of phase.

The problem I want to solve is, when listening to LP, some lable sound best in inverted phase e.g. Decca, RCA, DDG while some label sound better in +ve phase.

Thus, I want the ability to change the phase of the system on-the-fly. Ideally, a phase button in the pre amp would do. However, nowadays, not many pre come with this function. Thus I would like to know if your phase inverter could fill that gap.

I would like to understand if this device come with its own sonic character.

Thanks

iCefoX

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2004, 10:32 am »
The phase inverter could be used to make an on the fly phase change if you wired it into a set of tape loops or the EPL loop on an EC series preamp.  Tape or EPL outputs on the preamp to the inputs on the phase inverter, inverted outputs on the inverter to the tape or EPL inputs on the preamp.  Then engaging the EPL or tape monitor switch would invert the phase of whatever signal you have selected.  Of course you could not use the Phase Inverter for this function at the same time as using it for any other function.

The phase inverter does have very clean and fast active circuits to provide the necessary phase reversal function.  Whether these circuits would be more audible than the effects of playback at the "wrong" phase is going to be up to the capabilities of the rest of the system and your own sensitivities.

Another useful function is to use the inverter to invert the signal to only one channel of your power amp, and then wire that speaker out of phase too, putting the speakers back into phase.  This will reduce crosstalk and common power demands on the amplifier power supply and in many cases give you a nicer and more dynamic soundstage.

Frank Van Alstine