That nice SET presence in my AVA fetvalves

dvb

« on: 7 Jul 2004, 02:25 am »
A while ago I wondered about getting that SET "presence" in my AVA gear.

Wow, tonight was one of those nights when it bloomed in spades.  It may be that I am using new speakers -- Klipsch RB5-II monitors -- fairly high sensitivity at  96 -- and pulled out into the room.

I have also been playing with the little Zen Decware SE84C, so I have a bit of a sense of the SET sound.

Anyway, the T7SL/500ex combo just kept me stuck in my chair with a smile on my face  for side after side.   Whoever I put on the turntable, they were in my room!

PS -- there hasn't been much action on this site for a while.  I hope everyone  is well.

Dan Kolton

« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2004, 01:58 pm »
dvb,

Please tell me the definition of SET presence.

rickweed

SET Presence
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2004, 04:59 pm »
Ok, DVB, I'll bite too - what is SET Presence?  Since I have basically the same foundation components as you do, I am interested in whatever you have to say.  I am very cautious about doing anything to alter Frank's equipment because I, at least for now, tend to take his point of view that tweaks can make things sound different, but not necessarily better or more realistic.  In the end, of course, it's our own ears that tell us what is right.  Still, you have my curiosity.  Another thing is that I may soon have to get into vinyl.  I thought of getting a tuner first, but I keep hearing the praises of vinyl, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.  Either way, it will be fun, as it always is, to get something new added to the system.  Good listening to you DVB.

Rick

dvb

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2004, 01:04 am »
I am by no means an expert , and no electronics whiz.. Just a hobbyist who loves music, but here goes. . .

SET = Single Ended Triode  and seems to represent a kind of sub-culture in Audio.   Amps based on SET tubes like the 2A3, putting out just 3.5W per side, usually operating only in Class A,  are thought by many to give a sense that the performers are present right there in the room with you -- a dimensionality and wholeness to the stereo image that many feel is lost with push/pull,  solid state, and higher power.   Hence, SET presence.

The down side is that these "flea power" amps require very efficient/sensitive speakers, and the highs and bass may be sacrificed for the very "present" midrange.   Complex orchestral works may have to be foregone in favour of smaller works, like jazz.  

Anyway, the point of my original post was that I felt the AVA gear was giving me that sense that the musicians were present in my living room, in a way that many would think was only possible with a low powered SET amp.  

The AVA gear, of course uses tubes, and it may be that, with their high power,  it is able to operate in Class A for a lot of listening.  I'll leave that for the engineers to answer.

Dan Kolton

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2004, 02:10 pm »
dvb,
Thanks for the definition (pun intended).  I've certainly felt that my AVA Transcendence gear coupled with a pair of old B&W 801s with "Frank modified" crossovers give excellent "presense", as long as the source material is good.

dvb

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2004, 07:46 pm »
Yeah, that sense of holographic presence is pretty nice.  I have heard some very expensive SS gear that provided a sense of soundstage depth, but it was as if it appeared in 2D, projected onto inviisible, rather than a 3D image.

Cut-Throat

Efficient Speakers are the key.
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2004, 08:57 pm »
I have the T7 ECR and EX550 EXR and enjoy them very much. I also have a pair of Klispch Belles and a couple of SET amplifiers that I built from Welborne Kits. A pair of 45 Monoblocks (1.8 watts per channel) and a Pair of 2A3 Monoblocks (3.5 watts per channel). The Belles are 104 db and these amps can drive them to very good levels. I use my T7 ECR Preamp and T-DAC R version with the SET Monoblocks.

There is 'magic' in SET for me.