Crossover assembly 101

rockdrummer

Re: Crossover assembly 101
« Reply #140 on: 12 Feb 2017, 02:22 pm »
I wasn't quite clear enough there. It is the yellowish rough coating. Not the red coating.

Stuart

« Reply #141 on: 12 Feb 2017, 04:51 pm »
That yellowish coating is in fact the solid copper wire that make up the coil. The other leads are silver because the have been coated in solder. Go ahead and solder together as required!

Danny Richie

« Reply #142 on: 12 Feb 2017, 06:07 pm »
You can always clean it up with a little steel wool or sand paper.

dennismiller55

« Reply #143 on: 23 Sep 2018, 04:17 pm »
I am building the X-LS speakers.  This my very first speaker build.  I have almost finished the crossovers.   What is the recommended procedure for test crossovers before burying them in the enclosure?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #144 on: 23 Sep 2018, 06:24 pm »
I am building the X-LS speakers.  This my very first speaker build.  I have almost finished the crossovers.   What is the recommended procedure for test crossovers before burying them in the enclosure?

I use pigtails with alligator clips. I use a total of six pairs (positive & negative). Two of the pairs are cheap speaker wire connected to the amp at one end however you want. The other end has alligator clips and connects to the input wires of the crossovers. The other 4 pairs of pigtails have alligator clips on both ends. They connect the individual drivers to their respective circuits on the crossover boards.

Connect everything up, making sure nothing is touching something it shouldn't, then turn the amp on and play something. Don't get crazy trying to get the drivers to play loud, you might damage something. Listen closely and make sure the drivers are playing properly.

Mike

dennismiller55

« Reply #145 on: 23 Sep 2018, 06:35 pm »
Thanks.  That's not to complicated.  I was thinking I would have to buy a microphone and use some software like REW or ARTA. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #146 on: 23 Sep 2018, 07:05 pm »
Not for testing the crossover network. That would be for setting up the room once they are built.

Danny Richie

« Reply #147 on: 23 Sep 2018, 08:29 pm »

I'm not sure why your wiring is underneath the board. That makes it a little hard to confirm everything. If you would have kept the wiring up top then I could look at the pictures of what you've done and confirm all is fine or not. 

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #148 on: 23 Sep 2018, 09:30 pm »
Nice......been trying to get Dennis to try one of your designs for a while Danny.
Hope they turn out great and give hrs of enjoyment Dennis.

dennismiller55

« Reply #149 on: 23 Sep 2018, 10:33 pm »
I'm not sure why your wiring is underneath the board. That makes it a little hard to confirm everything. If you would have kept the wiring up top then I could look at the pictures of what you've done and confirm all is fine or not.

Well, I thought I would pass the wires underneath then back up to provide some form of strain relief.  In hindsight, I now see that once the crossover is installed and the enclosure sealed there never is any strain on the wire connections.

I have not solder any of the conncetions yet.  Let me see what I can do to put the wire back on top. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #150 on: 23 Sep 2018, 10:39 pm »
Well, I thought I would pass the wires underneath then back up to provide some form of strain relief.  In hindsight, I now see that once the crossover is installed and the enclosure sealed there never is any strain on the wire connections.

I have not solder any of the conncetions yet.  Let me see what I can do to put the wire back on top.

Posts pics afterward and we'll give you a thumbs up if all is good.

dennismiller55

« Reply #151 on: 27 Sep 2018, 03:16 pm »
I moved the wires to the top:

Danny Richie

« Reply #152 on: 27 Sep 2018, 03:47 pm »
Looks correct.  :thumb:

See some of the examples at the first of this thread. Wiring is connected in such a way as to allow the supplied heat shrink to be used on the high purity OFC wire. Sealing the ends will keep the Copper from oxidizing over time and keep it all sounding good.

dennismiller55

« Reply #153 on: 30 Sep 2018, 11:32 pm »
I really appreciate the help on my first build.  I order a second kit of the X-LS.  Taking Danny's recommendations from the above post.  Here is the next crossovers build that i was able hide the high purity OFC wire in heatshrink. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #154 on: 1 Oct 2018, 04:44 pm »
Nicely done.

newbie5011

« Reply #155 on: 15 Aug 2019, 05:21 am »
I am a newbie (first timer)....  just rcvd neo N2X kit with electronics included as a gift. I have absolutely NO IDEA how to assemble and configure the crossover for it. Can someone plz me where i can find a link w/assembly instructions for both the speaker cabinet and the crossover? Plz help!

newbie5011

« Reply #156 on: 15 Aug 2019, 05:41 am »
I meant the NEO 2X.

Danny Richie

« Reply #157 on: 15 Aug 2019, 05:31 pm »
I am a newbie (first timer)....  just rcvd neo N2X kit with electronics included as a gift. I have absolutely NO IDEA how to assemble and configure the crossover for it. Can someone plz me where i can find a link w/assembly instructions for both the speaker cabinet and the crossover? Plz help!

Visit the first page of this thread and it will show you how to twist the parts together.

You also should have received a wiring diagram that will show you what parts to twist together to complete the circuit. It is a bit like connecting the dots.

If necessary give me a call and I'll walk you through it.

You'll also need to keep in mind how to orient the coils.

Danny Richie

« Reply #158 on: 22 Aug 2019, 03:48 pm »

How are you doing on those?

mikeeastman

« Reply #159 on: 22 Aug 2019, 04:39 pm »
I’m about to replace my sonicap platinum by pass caps, on my x-overs with some MIFlex copper ones and I want to make sure I’m doing it correctly. I have 2 matched pairs, I' putting  one match pair  on the tweeter circuits and the other matched pair on the Mids, is this correct?