Unbiased opinion about the NX-Ottica's

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Unbiased opinion about the NX-Ottica's
« on: 18 Aug 2018, 09:27 pm »
My brother Jon came over today to check out some new Tekton speakers (www.tektondesign.com/impact.html) I am currently reviewing. After checking out the Impacts, he listened to the same songs on the NX-Ottica's and this is what he had to say, thought it was worth sharing for those who might be in the fence.

Either way, no script, no nonsense, just honest feedback.

https://youtu.be/v8Si8EEVyzE

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Unbiased opinion about the NX-Ottica's
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2018, 10:56 pm »
Ron,

I also caught your opinion of the Oticas in the background.  :thumb:

Since the Tekton Impacts are billed as full range speakers, it would be interesting to hear his opinion of the Oticas with the servo subs. That way he would be comparing full range to full range.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2018, 01:36 am »
It's good to have a reference pair of speakers at that level around, but that's really not a fair apples to apples comparison. Those speakers are really different in type and class. The NX-Otica is a full open baffle design with the best of everything thrown at it.

Ron don't you have a pair of X-LS Encores? Set those up on stands well out into the room and play them with just one of your servo subs set up to play a mono signal from about 40Hz or 45Hz and down. And place the sub in the middle of the room between the speakers.

Then you'd have two boxed speakers systems to more closely compare.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2018, 01:54 am »
It's good to have a reference pair of speakers at that level around, but that's really not a fair apples to apples comparison. Those speakers are really different in type and class. The NX-Otica is a full open baffle design with the best of everything thrown at it.

Ron don't you have a pair of X-LS Encores? Set those up on stands well out into the room and play them with just one of your servo subs set up to play a mono signal from about 40Hz or 45Hz and down. And place the sub in the middle of the room between the speakers.

Then you'd have two boxed speakers systems to more closely compare.

Good idea Danny. Just worth mentioning, We weren't really planning on an A/B but Jon heard something in the upper midband on the Tektons that he wanted to see if the Otticas shared the same thing. In his words, the upper mids sounded a but strained and shouty. After listening, he wanted to to see if it existed in the Otticas which it didnt. 

However, with all due respect: I do think it is a fair comparison in the sense they are the same price. These are 2k speakers and so are the Otticas. For me, the type, technology, or design of speaker is irrelevant when linear performance is the ultimate goal.

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2018, 02:04 am »
However, with all due respect: I do think it is a fair comparison in the sense they are the same price. These are 2k speakers and so are the Otticas. For me, the type, technology, or design of speaker is irrelevant when linear performance is the ultimate goal.

That's true. But one is a turn key speaker and the other is a requires some DIY time to assemble. So it's a little bit different target audience or customer.

I wasn't recommended a A/B comparison review or anything. But the A/B comparisons are really good for grasping differences, strengths and weaknesses. Or identifying something like what you just mentioned.