Need help... equivalent to AV123/Onix Mini Strata for insurance purposes???

djdube525

Given Danny was the original designer, I thought I'd ask here...

We had an "incident" at our home (someone drove a Ford Crown Victoria through our office and into our media room - long story) that will involve insurance (hopefully) replacing my damaged AV123/Onix Mini Strata speakers. The catch... insurance needs something comparable. It was such a unique speaker, I'm not sure where to even begin.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/stratamini/stratamini.html

Any advice to "guide" the insurance folks?

« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2018, 12:57 am by djdube525 »

djdube525

Nick V

Just as far as driver array, and physical design, you might be able to convince them that the Philharmonic 3 from Philharmonic Audio is the closest replacement.

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/phil3.html

Doublej

What is your objective? Is it to determine the cost of replacing it with something comparable, determining the value of what was lost, or something else?

Perhaps something in the Golden Ear Triton series?

https://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series

djdube525

What is your objective? Is it to determine the cost of replacing it with something comparable, determining the value of what was lost, or something else?

Perhaps something in the Golden Ear Triton series?

https://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series

Well - we had always wanted to move to something a little smaller as it was encroaching on our screen. But we do need a replacement as one speaker was damaged when the car broke through.

Tend to lean towards more warmth, but open/airy speakers. Overly clean/analytical begin to be a bit painful after 30min/hour...

I had thought of switching to possibly switching to monitors (smaller-ish room... 8' ceilings... roughly 12x12).

-DD

Doublej

My data points are now old but if someone asked me for warm speakers I would tell them to audition Martin Logan ESL series or Spendors.

I am not sure if either brand would fit your size requirements.

Based on listening to the Linkwitz Plutos, I think the LXMini might fit your needs but then you'll need a 4 channel amplifier and a minidisp.

I am sure there are many others...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
djdube525,
Have you thought about Danny's N2X style speakers?  Have the Neo3 planar tweeter and cone woofer in a sealed cabinet.  Add a sub or pair and you would have a something in the range you might be looking for.  For more full range maybe N3's.

Just a thought.

djdube525

FWIW... more "data points"... room constraint photos/layout. The mini's come in at about 47" tall... would be nice to get something smaller height wise... possibly monitors.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
The N3s are fantastic in my HT system (with a sub)

Another option would be the Skinny 6 ( http://gr-research.com/skinny6s.aspx ). They are 41" tall without a base (41-3/4" - 42-1/2" with a base). While that is not a whole lot shorter than the Minis, the Skinny 6 is only 4-1/2" wide and 13" deep. They need a sub but then any speaker will need a sub for movies. 

The Flat 5 is the matching center channel ( http://gr-research.com/flat5.aspx )

Something to consider is that any monitor on a stand will take up as much real estate as a corresponding floor stander.

Mike

djdube525

And I should know this but I have 1000s of things running through my mind. Is there a way to purchase a built & shipped N3 (or the skinny)? Not overly inclined to build from a kit with everything else going on at the moment. Co-ordinating repairs, making claims, cataloging damaged goods etc etc...".

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
And I should know this but I have 1000s of things running through my mind. Is there a way to purchase a built & shipped N3 (or the skinny)? Not overly inclined to build from a kit with everything else going on at the moment. Co-ordinating repairs, making claims, cataloging damaged goods etc etc...".

Yes,

Someone like me can build it for you or you might be able to find a local cabinet or furniture maker to build and finish the cabinet then you just have to build the crossover networks and install the drivers

Mike

Danny Richie

I thought I'd hang back on this thread for a few days and let our customers recommend speakers of equal value for your insurance claim.

As per your application though. You have some limitations that really hurt performance.

Your right speaker is right up against the wall with zero wall treatment. It doesn't matter what speaker you place in that fashion the effect will be the same. The off axis response will reflect right off of the wall and combine with the on axis response with a slight delay. That time delay will cause an out of phase cancellation that will cause a huge hole in the response. And by a huge hole I mean a 15db dipped out area. You will also likely have them in two or more spots. So the response will be all over the place.

You also have a walled in area behind the speakers with no bass traps or damping material to absorb low frequency energy. So it would be real easy to get real boomy bass especially from anything rear ported.

So keep in mind that the room is part of the system and you'll really need to pick speakers for that space and do some work to the space to make it more ideal.

As for speakers I would go with Mike Lundy's recommendation for our Skinny 6's and a Flat 5. They are the only speakers that I have designed for applications like that.

First of all they use a 3" wide band driver. The important value in that is a limited off axis response compared to a tweeter. So side wall reflections in the upper octaves will be more limited than designs using a tweeter. Secondly they will hit -3db ranges in the 60Hz to 80Hz range and will really minimize any room boom from the walled in space behind them. You can then adjust the ranges below that with a separate sub woofer. That is one of those applications where adjust-ability down low will be very important. Also the rear firing drive on these help make the space sound much bigger and open. This really helps in small spaces. And the narrow baffle will allow you to pull them in as far as the edges of the screen and get them out from the side wall on the left and away from the side wall on the right. This will minimize side wall interaction too.

The matching Flat 5 is also perfect for the the top of your equipment rack. And the three of them will match and sound fantastic. I am using them in my personal system, and love them.

On top of that I still highly recommend wall treatment to the wall on the right side and behind the speakers.

And if you don't want to build or can't build a kit then I'll work with you to have some cabinets made and get them assembled.

Captainhemo

Yet another option would be either the X LS Encores in monitor form or even  a floor stander  like the ones you  built  a while back Mike.  These could be paired with the matching Encore CS center  channel speaker.   
this set up might be  a bit warmer sounding than the N3tl's/N3S center combo

As many of us know, don't let the cheap  kit prices onthese  fool you, add  the Sonicap/Mils & tube connector upgrades and  you'll likely be shocked  at the level of performance  you  end up with

Or, better  yet,  see  above  :beer:

jay

Doublej

I don't if Danny's Carnegie Acoustics line would fit the bill. They are finished speakers, not kits.

Danny Richie

I don't if Danny's Carnegie Acoustics line would fit the bill. They are finished speakers, not kits.

That's a real good recommendation on a finished speaker. If he can get them away from the wall a little bit and treat the wall reflection then it can be made to work pretty well.

Captainhemo

Front vented  N3Tl's  might  work as well, back to  a  kit but  the  front  venting  would be a plus

jay

Folsom

In that cramped space I'd go with Danley Synergy horns. They may be over budget, but they'd be the best fit. They're not tall, and they are VERY controlled directivity. Aside from that, probably any speaker recommendation so far has been decent if you follow my next steps...

What if you rotate all your gear and sofa 90* clockwise in the room? The door leading to it, if it can open out from it that might help. Even if not, you'd get a lot more side room for the speaker, and maybe some front to back. The couch wouldn't be far from the screen.

But if you're already repairing the room, why not fur that door out to the hallway? You could make it a pocket door, or swing inside. Then you could move the couch back more with everything rotates 90*.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
djdube525,
Have you thought about Danny's N2X style speakers?  Have the Neo3 planar tweeter and cone woofer in a sealed cabinet.  Add a sub or pair and you would have a something in the range you might be looking for.  For more full range maybe N3's.

Just a thought.
There's a lot to be said for using the Neo3 tweeter.  Of all the recs so far, I like this one best.  Also, the N2x is a small package.