Can I run strapped tube amp into M3TMs?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Can I run strapped tube amp into M3TMs?
« on: 17 Jun 2018, 04:18 am »
My amps are M3 Triode Masters.  I just bought a couple of Conrad Johnson MV75A1 amps, which when strapped put out 150 watts into 8 ohms.  I seem to recall that running a strapped amp into low Ohm speakers is a danger - not running into higher Ohms.  But I am not sure.  These amps arrive in a week or so and I really want to see what that kind of tube power will do with my speakers.   Is there any danger to my gear running these into 16 Ohm speakers?

JackD

Re: Can I run strapped tube amp into M3TMs?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2018, 05:26 am »
There shouldn't be any problem at all with 16 ohm speakers.  If your concerned contact the guys at CJ and ask.  I would try my Rogue ST-100 with my TM's but they are in the Family Room so big tube amps are not a good fit which is why I stick with Class D in that environment.  BTW have you given up on the Mivera or just experimenting?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2018, 05:35 am »
16 ohms is nominal. I would suggest you direct your concerns to CJ for their input.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2018, 04:41 pm »
Mivera still my main amp - I love it.  I have always wanted an MV75 since owning an MV45 I bought new many years ago.  These are from the original owner with boxes, so it will be as close to a new pair as I can find. Will probably become shelf art.  I found the owners manual for the MV75 on line and it says I can use 16 ohm speakers when strapped, but I will get less than 150 watts.