Let's talk best bang for the buck: Integrated Amps

nunhgrader

Let's talk best bang for the buck: Integrated Amps
« on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:10 am »
I'm wide open on this one! In fact, I'd love to "hear" your experiences with integrated (new model or old). I am thinking about starting a small, minimal system using a tubed integrated (or a hybrid but, not opposed to solid state either) with relatively high sensitivity speakers. I spin cds, dvd-a's, and sacds (no vinyl - yet). I would love to get a sub 1k recommendation as well as a 2k-3k recommendation. I am also eager to read about anyone's upmarket integrated experiences (even though I cannot afford that yet).

I'm all ears and any suggestion / experience you've had will help shape my next decision.

Thank you in advance!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Let's talk best bang for the buck: Integrated Amps
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:21 am »
nunhgrader ...
"I am also eager to read about anyone's upmarket integrated experiences (even though I cannot afford that yet)."

Try this thread.....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=49214.0

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:23 am »
How do you feel about something used, but with a 5yr warranty...
Red wine signature 30.2 (may see an upgraded signature 30) integrated 

keep an eye here
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65000.msg594138#msg594138

An all around excellent amplifier for around $1000-$1200

-Tony

Meicheng

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:31 am »
In the "value" category, I have a Chinese Yaqin MC-10L which is a EL34 tube integrated.  A Canadian guy sells them on that auction site, already quality-checked (whatever that means).  For about $500 its a nice tube amp.  The tube amps sold by Parts Express and Musical Paradise are also supposed to be good value integrated tube amps for not much money. 

nunhgrader

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2009, 08:34 am »
Thanks for the reply lonewolfny42!

I'm reading this now :)

Thanks TRADERXFAN - I never knew about that thread - need to start investigating these circles more :)

Thank you Meicheng - I will look into that amp as well. Not that I wouldn't consider a Chinese brand but, I never really thought about their merchandise. I read alot about China making better and better quality...

ZLS

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2009, 09:46 am »
+1 on the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2
For a more inexpensive alternative try the Rega Brio 3.  I purchased one used and had it modified (total cost $1100) and it kicks ass. 
Sam Kim modifies vintage tube equipment, and there is a range of prices.  He does excellent work. 

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2009, 12:42 pm »
I know everybody seems to think the JoLida gear is a little pedestrian but the factory modified Jolida 102b is a screaming deal and performs considerably better than you might think. I absolutely love mine.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:06 pm »
I had a Sugden integrated for 10+ years, very good little amps.  Hand built, British, lots of PRAT.

The A28B I had can likely be had for around $400-$500 if you can find one.  45wpc A/B.

An older A21 would work too, and is Class A for all 25wpc.  The SE version is quite expensive though, so a regular series is likely what you want to hunt down.

lcrim

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2009, 02:02 pm »
I presently have three inexpensive integrated amps and I'm very partial to the configuration.  Just an observation, I found that until I stopped using preamps and thereby lowered the amount of gain and also power supply noise, I couldn't really hear the music properly.
The integrateds I own have a passive attenuator and not an actual preamp section.  The cost of a preamp with gain that is actually quiet is generally beyond my means. 
I've had a Decware Select for many years and was the first piece of equipment that showed me that quality wasn't necessarily linked to cost.  A great little EL84 machine that while it requires higher efficiency speakers still sounds terrific.
This past year, though being broke and unemployed, I managed to sell some equipment and buy the Miniwatt Integrated and the Dayens Ampino, a solid state integrated of 25 watts @ 8 ohms that is a little jewel.  The Miniwatt is a good deall less than $300 new and again requires efficient speakers but is already a legend. 
Shop around, read reviews to get the flavor of the equipment and see what you can come up with.  As stated above, find some inexpensive higher efficiency speakers to broaden the suitability of the lower power amps.  That is my best advice.

K Shep

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2009, 02:22 pm »
I sat in front of a pair of Paradigm Signature 2's powered by a VTL IT-85 integrated, yesterday.  The VTL may be found on the used market between $2-3k.  The IT-85 is a killer integrated amp.

chadh

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2009, 02:28 pm »
I think the Peachtree Nova goes for around $1100 new, or (a little) cheaper used on audiogon.  For that, you get a tubed pre-amp, with pre-amp outs and a whole host of inputs, plus an 80w/channel solid-state amp. In addition you get what is (by all accounts) an excellent DAC which accepts digital inputs of all sorts, including USB, and a pretty good headphone amp.  Did Stereophile make this their "product of the year"?  I know somebody did.

For half the price, you can pick up a used Peachtree Decco with a less stunning DAC, a less stunning headphone amp and an amp that puts out just 50w/channel.

Given the sheer array of features of these products, and the acclaim for the quality of the sound they deliver, it's hard to imagine you could find better bang for the buck.  Which is not to say that the specific qualities they possess match your personal sonic requirements best.  You're obviously the only one who can determine that.

Chad

2gumby2

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:04 pm »
How about the Outlaw Audio RS2150? It's gotten some nice reviews and seems to be very well built.  http://www.outlawaudio.com/

twitch54

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2009, 04:14 pm »
I know everybody seems to think the JoLida gear is a little pedestrian but the factory modified Jolida 102b is a screaming deal and performs considerably better than you might think. I absolutely love mine.

I'll second Scott's choice , my 302B performs flawlessly in my secondary system as well.

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2009, 04:28 pm »

Hey Twitch,
That's some pretty tasty mouthwash you've got there  :thumb:  :green:

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:36 pm »
That's some pretty tasty mouthwash you've got there  :thumb:  :green:

Thanks Scott....with the 'Christmas Post card' developing outside today ( were getting a little dusting...1 to 2 ft) I think I'll be enjoying a bit of that with the holiday tunes later on today !.... aa

K Shep

« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:46 pm »
I think the Peachtree Nova goes for around $1100 new, or (a little) cheaper used on audiogon.

Great recommendation!  I have heard the Nova drive book shelf speakers, era D4's, very well.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:58 pm »
Go one step further in bang-for the-buck sweepstakes: think receivers.

I bought a Pioneer SX-A9-J fully dual mono receiver (right down to twin toroids) and MM/MC facilities, a 'straight path' option for best sound...all for USD$699.00.  Pioneer I think disco'ed the item recently...but it's a fine deal (remote, too)  :thumb:

It's got preamp out jacks, so you can use an amp of choice later on as budget permits (that's how I use it now...with mono tube amps)

Lotsa' receivers from the 70's and 80's out there that are really quite good, too (especially if they've been updated)

John

bunnyma357

« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:07 pm »
I have two low cost tube integrated amps, both around $500  -  The Yaqin MC-10L that was mentioned earlier, and an Onix (Melody rebranded) SP3. Both are nice, but I think the Onix/Melody is a little better built and more refined sounding. Even though I went with the more basic Yaqin, if I were to do it over I think I would have gone with the MC-100B which has more features and power that I think are worth the extra cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAQIN-MC-100B-PushPull-Stereo-Integrated-Tube-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ130347989752QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item1e59587af8#ht_5560wt_848

The SP3's come up used pretty often, usually with upgraded tubes for around $500. You might also look at other Melody/Onix amps as well.

Jim C

toobluvr

« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:46 pm »
For the $2k category.......Audiomat!

At list, possibly not "best bang", but surely worth considering at used prices.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1266119897&/Audiomat-Solfege-Reference-

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1265234588&/Audiomat-Arpege-Reference-swee

EL-34 or KT-88, take your pick.

Halographic and sublimely musical, if that's your thing.  Do the reseach for glowing praise.  Never a bad word said about this stuff.  Not seen often on the used market...tells you lots.  I gotta believe it will kick booty on most of the recs you see here.

If I had an easy to drive speaker with smallish drivers, I'd probably be all over one of these.  Just relax into the music and forget about the gear.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2009, 08:03 pm »
if i wanted new, w/power, it would be hard to beat the yaqin mc-100b, imo - ~$500 shipped, or ~$600 shipped air:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260525118478

these are also awailable in black or brass finish.  i have seen one in the flesh; they are remarkable in appearance and have excellent build quality.  i never hooked it up, cuz my present system requires only ~5wpc for my main drivers, but i have heard these sound killer, and it got a killer recommendation from enjoythemusic.com, even at $1300:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazine/equipment/0108/markhill_audio_mc100b.htm

and, it has a real preamp in it, (which can be bypassed), not yust a passive wolume pot.

for cheaper new gear, i'd consider these el84 amps (passive wolume pots, afaik):

<$300 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270503344383

~$160 shipped (i owned this amp; it is a really nice sounding amp):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260524502173

another option for more money is a used manley stingray.  at ~$1500, these are fine sounding amps, & wery flexible if you get one w/the tape loop, sub outs, and signal processor loop.

last (but not least) is find a wintage fisher/scott/pilot/stromberg-carlson integrated amp & get it modded/refurb'd.  for ~$500-$1k, you will have something that sonically competes w/the best new gear around, imo.

doug s.