Recomendations

Mag42ed

Recomendations
« on: 10 Aug 2012, 01:54 pm »
Hello, I am looking for recommendations on how I can improve my system. I have a Virtue Audio 2.2, Keces DAC MKll, King Rex Pre Amp and thinking of adding a Grant Fidelity MKll tube processor. Also, for speakers I am using ADS L310s with a Mini Vee 8" subwoofer. I love the sound,but want recommendations on whether I should consider adding or removing any of these components to improve the sound even more.

Randy

Re: Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:27 pm »
You might want to think about trying the Nirvana speaker cables. I am finding them to be excellent.

srb

Re: Recomendations For Improving Sound
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:50 pm »
I'm not a big fan of external tube proccessors/buffers used in addition to a preamp (versus a preamp with a tube stage) as they soften and dull the sound to mask other potential system problems while adding an extra pair of interconnects and some amount of additional circuit noise.

If you aren't already bypassing the two.2's volume control, you might consider trying that and eliminate the signal going through a second potentiometer which might make a bit of an improvement.  (Page 10 of the Virtue one.2/two.2 Owners Manual) http://www.wihifi.com/virtuemanual/Virtue%20ONE.2%20TWO.2%20User%20Manual.pdf

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2012, 12:10 am »
I did all that and found that eliminating the volume knob on the 2.2 (by changing jumpers like Steve mentioned) and using a tubed pre-amp/DAC was the best sound I could achieve. The 2.2 sounds excellent before you change the jumpers and jumps in sound quality when its removed. It just sounds better that way as a straight up power amp.

Currently I use a Grant 09 DAC/pre and the 2.2.....clean and perfect tone for me with the tube in the DAC and the Pre. I really enjoy it even after trying various other amps.

jb26

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:40 am »
Assuming you have a computer ahead of the kit, I found changing software and file types a massive improvement. On a PC jrmc17 is vastly superior to iTunes.

I also re-ripped to lossless, and bought iTunes match to upgrade the poor quality mp3s I had to 256 AAC. 

The total spend was about $70 plus hours re-ripping.

Mag42ed

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:30 pm »
I did bypass the POT and configured the 2.2 to cut out the low freq from the main speakers. I will also try to upgrade the quality of my files and get myself a battery supply. I'm still looking into changing out my cables. As far as my speakers go , guess I'll stick with my ADS L300s. My brother is driving Klipsch corner horns with his 1.2, they sound great! Thanks for all the great advice.

passingthrough

• "An audiophile and his money are soon parted."
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2012, 10:47 pm »
Similar to eclein, I use a One.2 with the Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11 with a vintage Sylvania tube as both the DAC and Pre, and find it to be an excellent combination.  Now my old Grant Fidelity B-283 is on the sidelines waiting a new home.

I have used some ADS L710's with this setup also although usually it powers NEAR 10M monitors for nearfield listening at my desk.

Incidentally, the TubeDac-11 has a non-tube out also which is great for hooking up a tube headphone amp if that's your thing.