High res from iTunes?

Stu Pitt

High res from iTunes?
« on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:04 am »
I have about a dozen high res titles in iTunes on my Windows 10 laptop (Lenovo E560 if that makes any difference). They’re all ALAC and either 96/24 or 192/24. I downloaded them all from HD Tracks and a few from Metallica’s website. The the file info in iTunes also confirms the resolution. So I’m confident they’re legit.

I run my laptop’s usb out to a Schiit Eitr USB-Coax because my Rega DAC’s USB is limited to 44.1/16. The DAC’s coax will do up to 192/24. I’ve checked the appropriate sample rates in iTunes, and I’ve tried direct sound, media session (WASAPI), etc.

No matter what I do, my DAC is telling me 44.1/16. Any idea why I’m not getting the high res? Is there something I’m missing? All my google-fu research tells me iTunes will output high res.

barrows

• Industry Participant
Re: High res from iTunes?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:10 am »
Apple products will downsample unless you tell them not to when using iTunes as the playback software.  This alone is a good reason to use a better playback software (Audirvana+ or ROON).
You can get your files to playback at their native rates, but you have to manually set the output sample rate, like this:

open "audio midi setup" from your applications, there you should be able to set the output sample rate, note you have to manually do this every time you change rates, otherwise it will resample.

It is much easier to just get and use a better playback software which automatically changes the output sample rate for you.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2018, 01:07 am »
Apple products will downsample unless you tell them not to when using iTunes as the playback software.  This alone is a good reason to use a better playback software (Audirvana+ or ROON).
You can get your files to playback at their native rates, but you have to manually set the output sample rate, like this:

open "audio midi setup" from your applications, there you should be able to set the output sample rate, note you have to manually do this every time you change rates, otherwise it will resample.

It is much easier to just get and use a better playback software which automatically changes the output sample rate for you.
Thanks for your reply. On my Windows 10 laptop running iTunes, I’ve gone into “preferences,” then on the bottom of that menu there’s a place to change the output sample rate, which I’ve done. It hasn’t changed the sample rate lights on my DAC. I’ve tried changing it and also changing Direct Sound, Windows Audio Session, and there may be another one. The Direct Sound et al all require me to close iTunes and reopen, which I do. The sample rate change doesn’t. No matter what I do, my DAC always tells me 44.1/16. The other sample rates did light up before for something else which I can’t recall, so I’m pretty sure it’s not my DAC being confused.

Stupid side question (once it hopefully start working right)...
If I set the sample rate to 192/24, but the file is 44/16, will it upsample? I’m not a fan of upsampling overall, but it would be interesting to see if any recording sound better.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2018, 12:20 am »

The better players will override the system MIDI settings to match the file being played. iTunes can't be bothered. I assume Windoze handles audio similarly, or at least iTunes for Windows does. It assumes all you want is AAC.