Cable Supports

Don_S

Cable Supports
« on: 4 Oct 2021, 10:50 pm »
Any good recommendations for cable supports to keep a long pair of interconnects off carpet? I can make some from walnut to match my speakers and audio rack but to make a dozen or so would be a lot of work with small pieces of wood. I would rather go cheap, cheerful, and painless.

Doublej

Re: Cable Supports
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2021, 12:14 am »
Some of things I have seen used as cable lifters:

Upside down paper, plastic, and foam cups
Clothes pins glued to coasters
Wood blocks used for crafts (search Amazon)
Hockey pucks
Pipe Insulation or swimming noodles cut into sections.
Large Binder Clips

Some of these only work well if you are just laying the cable on the item. If you need to hold the cable in place as well as elevate it, then you may need to make a groove in the item or thread the cable through the elevator (as is the case with a binder clip and is a option with pipe insulation).

Audiophile cable risers are $10-$20 each so you may want to reconsider making your own. It might be worth paying someone (one of the GR Research cabinet suppliers?) to make you a set out of your desired wood.

The Cardas website has the material and dimension used for their multi blocks.

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2021, 12:37 am »
I ordered this set of 10 supports. They haven't arrived yet, so I can't comment on them. They were cheaper than other options I could find. About $7 each.

https://audiophilevibrationcontrol.com/product/cable-elevators/

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:15 am »

Craig B

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:40 am »

Those look a lot like my childhood Lincoln Logs.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2021, 02:29 am »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2021, 03:06 am »
Don

I've been using these for several years. Due to the design they can hold three cables each.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334154446244?hash=item4dcd2835a4:g:~aMAAOSwo0NhCYgD

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:20 pm »
You guys remember these I made way back when. Still in use and now they have slits in the upper corners for my Fidelium speaker cables.

Made from bowl blanks and tongue oil.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:27 pm »
Those look a lot like my childhood Lincoln Logs.
You mean you don't play with yours anymore??
Seriously, how are these not functional?

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2021, 02:16 pm »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2021, 11:22 am »
I found a set of bed risers for a dollar or two at a thrift shop, works a treat.

viggen

« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2021, 05:56 pm »

Doublej

« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2021, 10:33 pm »
Nursery pots, dirt cheap...yuk yuk yuk. Amazon has a 75 pack for $6.

https://www.amazon.com/Augshy-Starting-Succulent-Seedling-Transplanting/dp/B083KBLBZQ/

navi

« Reply #14 on: 9 Oct 2021, 12:43 pm »
Any good recommendations for cable supports to keep a long pair of interconnects off carpet? I can make some from walnut to match my speakers and audio rack but to make a dozen or so would be a lot of work with small pieces of wood. I would rather go cheap, cheerful, and painless.

DUPLO (Plastic), Lego (Plastic), bridge supports on Thomas train sets (these are wood).

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 9 Oct 2021, 01:10 pm »
The late Pierre Sprey of Mapleshade said it was the poly fibers in most carpet holding a static charge that was the reason to use cable lifters.  Thus they needed to be some distance off the floor, I seem to remember 18" as the figure, please don't quote my failing memory.  He also maintained the lifts can't be plastic or metal, wood is suitable.  I've used cable lifters cause they're cheap and make vacuuming easier, but I've never really heard a repeatable difference.  I wonder if going with something over a foot and a half of rise would make a dramatic difference in sound quality.

Doublej

« Reply #16 on: 9 Oct 2021, 01:54 pm »
 I had a friend (RIP) who treated his cables with Nordost Eco Anti-Static spray. The cheaper version of this is Endust Electronics Anti-Static cleaner. YMMV

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2021, 10:47 pm »
I made 10 of these. I used a backsplash board from the same source as the 1 7/8 walnut butcher block. I am undecided on whether or not to stain them. I ran out of the oil I used on the stands. I do not consider the stands to be adequate isolation. I use footers or pads under equipment depending on what it is.