Amazon Music Hd

Rush2112

Amazon Music Hd
« on: 10 Nov 2021, 09:04 pm »
Just subscribed to amazon music hd . I already have a usb connection from my laptop to the usb input on the bda3 dac . Is it just as simple as play the album on the laptop and select usb on the dac and the music will come through my audio system ? Thanks

gbaby

Re: Amazon Music Hd
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2021, 10:15 pm »
Just subscribed to amazon music hd . I already have a usb connection from my laptop to the usb input on the bda3 dac . Is it just as simple as play the album on the laptop and select usb on the dac and the music will come through my audio system ? Thanks

Don't get too excited about it. I had Amazon Music HD, and when I compared the sound of it to a CD I burned as a .wav file, the .wav file blew Amazon Music HD away. There is no substitute for owning the CD and burning it yourself for playback on the BDPs. :nono:

Phil A

Rush2112

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2021, 11:15 pm »
It would be nice if qobuz was available in Canada . We have tidal available in Canada .

rotarius

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2021, 12:03 am »
I have both Amazon HD and Qobuz streaming via Denon Heos link and a Firestick.  First of all, Amazon sounds great.  Firestick displays track quality, downstream device capability and playback sample rate and it does output the rate it says it does.  I listen to mostly classical, jazz, acoustic and international stuff.  My observations:
Amazon has a bigger selection to choose from.  It always sounds fuller with more punch than Qobuz.  Qobuz sounds a bit more open and resolving in many instances but is definitely a bit lighter and brighter even compared to my Wav or Flac files. 
Many Amazon releases seem to have additional processing for their 3D tracks and sound different from the originals.  In some cases that is a welcome change but not always.  The DG releases on Amazon sound better than what they released on CD,  You fans of classical will want to get it just for that reason. 
I find myself streaming much more than playing SaCD and CD these days. People who complain of a big difference in SQ have not set it up right.

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2021, 12:13 am »
Firestick displays track quality, downstream device capability and playback sample rate and it does output the rate it says it does. 

Isn't Firestick plugged into your TV's HDMI input?  How are you getting Amazon HD audio digitally to your audio system?
So if the Amazon HD file changes from say 24/96kHz to 16/44.1kHz track, Firestick automatically changes the audio output the reflect the file sample rate change? 

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2021, 12:33 am »
   IMO, Amazon HD is for the most part CD quality, but with careful listening, comparing albums that I'm quite familiar with, Amazon HD is Master quality. Whereas the CD in comparison has lost something, possibly due to compression.

Also the connections speed makes all the difference. I'm fortunate that I have Fiber optics service. So I can use the highest connection speed or audio quality.

With my secondary computer I am using Realtek HD headphone output 96k/24 bit and Sound Meeter (a mixer app) along with Amazon HD. The sound output is exceptional on my Yamaha wireless earbuds and it certainly does not take a backseat to my main rig Bryston system. Of coarse my Bryston system with Model T's has the vibe I can feel as well as hear. :smoke:

rotarius

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2021, 01:18 am »
Isn't Firestick plugged into your TV's HDMI input?  How are you getting Amazon HD audio digitally to your audio system?
So if the Amazon HD file changes from say 24/96kHz to 16/44.1kHz track, Firestick automatically changes the audio output the reflect the file sample rate change?
Nope, I use an HDMI audio extractor capable of 24/192 pass thru and it has a coax output to the dac and HDMI output to the TV. 
When the track sample rate changes, the output sample rate changes and the display reflects that. 
FYI, the Firestick output via extractor is clearly superior to the Heos Link which was very surprising!  Amazon HD has great potential, just need the hardware offering to improve.

alinto

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2021, 04:12 am »
Which hdmi audio extractor are you using? Amazon sells a variety of them but almost all don't indicate if they support 24/192 and don;t state if they work with the fire stick.

rotarius

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2021, 04:41 am »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YNFVH8Q?ref=ppx_yo2_tab_ap_product_details&th=1
Really most of them on Amazon should work fine but most are limited to Toslink output.  I also ordered the Amazon Basics unit but it was doa so could not test the audio quality.

rotarius

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2021, 04:49 am »
This is what Firestick displays on the screen.  Note, if you have a poor connection or it needs to buffer for the first few seconds, it will drop the output to standard and the codec will say Opus.  When it switches to HD or UHD, the codec switches to Flac. 

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2021, 11:33 am »
There's a whole (old and very long) thread that deals with HDMI audio extractors - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0   There's also reviews of some of them at places like - http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/05/audiophile-review-hdmi-de-embedder.html

I don't use Amazon (HD) music.  They don't seem interested in getting involved with drivers for DACs.  As far as network issues with a Firestick, it's probably best to avoid the first generation one as later ones allow the use of an ethernet adapter - https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Ethernet-Adapter-Fire-Devices/dp/B074TC662N/ref=sxts_rp_s_a1_0?crid=1GMUDXVPDQMR8&cv_ct_cx=fire+stick+ethernet+adapter&keywords=fire+stick+ethernet+adapter&pd_rd_i=B074TC662N&pd_rd_r=9203f41c-7fb5-41d7-953a-7693e7640e47&pd_rd_w=tJhNH&pd_rd_wg=IgUkI&pf_rd_p=d57dfec8-c3f9-44ac-96fb-73a6536106ab&pf_rd_r=Z6KW3FN8GXBQZ3WVQCQH&psc=1&qid=1636630318&sprefix=firestick+ether%2Caps%2C196&sr=1-1-5985efba-8948-4f09-9122-d605505c9d1e

I have connections behind where the Firesticks are to my network and if one doesn't, there's alway ethernet to powerline adapters which are $40-50

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2021, 12:42 pm »
I have Amazon HD as well as Apple Music wired to my BR20 with USB input.

I typically use Apple Music on my IPAD PRO but when I use Amazon HD here is the readout I get on the signal path - seems like it is going through an MP3 section.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2021, 07:08 am »

Music will come through your system but it will rarely be matched to the correct sample rate as required for "bit perfect" audio.  First of all, if you are running Windows you need to download the Bryston USB driver here:

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/USB%20Drivers/

Then you can select the BDA3 as "speaker" from the Windows tray icon.

From the Amazon app start playback then click on the speaker icon to bring up the volume options and enable "exclusive mode" (caution: it might get loud!)

Now there is still a problem in Amazon's desktop application where it does not automatically switch sample rates like the iPad, as shown in James's picture.  Amazon software programmers have not quite grasped the concept of "bit perfect" audio yet, but they are getting there.  At first they didn't even have exclusive mode and guess what (gbaby)?  There was no high-res or even proper CD quality, but now there is.  The remaining issue is the DAC will receive whatever sample rate Windows has set for the device (e.g. 44/16).  You can manually change the port settings in Windows Control Panel to match the music being played but that is a pain every time the track quality varies.  You can just set it to the highest rate 192/24 and let Windows upsample everything to that rate for now.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2021, 07:22 am »
I typically use Apple Music on my IPAD PRO but when I use Amazon HD here is the readout I get on the signal path - seems like it is going through an MP3 section.

That can't be right (MP3 at 192/24)!  I don't know where it's getting that device name from.

Amazon programmers... <sigh>
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2021, 05:27 pm by Stefan_DR3 »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2021, 12:59 pm »
Hi

Yes I was able to get it to say the correct sample and Bit rate but it upsamples everything to 192/24

james

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2021, 05:18 pm »
edit: sorry it's not the device name like I thought.

But iPad/iPhone direct to DAC should support sample rate switching.  As far as I know it's just the Windows desktop app that doesn't switch sample rates automatically.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2021, 06:04 pm »
Hi Srefan

The IPAD works fine with Apple Music but the IPAD with Amazon HD upsamples everything to 192/24.  I believe Amazon HD looks for the highest sample and BIT rate of your DAC and locks on that regardless of the file coming in.

james

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2021, 06:46 pm »
Ah, that makes sense  :duh: So the iOS app is basically doing the same thing as their Windows app.

There is a long discussion going on the Amazon support forum about "Exclusive Mode" issues and it seems Amazon programmers are yet to fully grasp the concept!

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/topic/0TO4P000000t6eCWAQ/music-hd

jonbee

« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2021, 01:14 am »
Don't get too excited about it. I had Amazon Music HD, and when I compared the sound of it to a CD I burned as a .wav file, the .wav file blew Amazon Music HD away. There is no substitute for owning the CD and burning it yourself for playback on the BDPs. :nono:
I generally agree. HD is better sounding than the basic, but not as good as an uncompressed file from a cd rip, or Tidal.
I think it is very good "radio" quality, though, and I listen a lot to it while surfing around.