M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface

Wayne1

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
Re: M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface
« Reply #161 on: 9 Jul 2010, 05:46 am »
Just had a chance for a quick listen, but a -6db attenuator on each end is sounding good.
Is a 6dB at each end of the cable better sounding than if both 6dB are put at one end?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #162 on: 10 Jul 2010, 01:52 am »
Is a 6dB at each end of the cable better sounding than if both 6dB are put at one end?

Didn't try (2) 6db at the same end or any combinations with the 10 db attenuator that I have.  I am working out-of-town but will try them out on Sunday.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #163 on: 11 Jul 2010, 11:10 am »
Another user is very positive about the sonic benefits of these attenuators http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/446375/usb-24-192khz-m2tech-hiface/1440#post_6771760

Although numbers are small, it looks like all who have tried it so far are positive, except for one who bought a cheap Jaycar attenuator!

I don't understand why more are not experimenting with it after 30 downloads of the track?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #164 on: 13 Jul 2010, 08:56 pm »
Built the 5VDC regulated battery power supply for the powered USB bus cable.  The cable has two USB ports at the output end. 

The problem seems to be the powered USB port once it is plugged into the laptop has DC power.  I do not want to attach the battery supply, as it will parallel the two DC supplies.

I have another 5VDC powered USB2 hub.  Will try that instead.

Here is a picture of try #1:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #165 on: 13 Jul 2010, 10:58 pm »
I got to hear the hi-face at Mike's place the other day, both with and without the attenuator.  Without the attenuator, it sounded OK, but not great (consistent with my previous impression during a home demo in my system), but the attenuators took it in to the realm of very, very good. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #166 on: 13 Jul 2010, 11:00 pm »
Oh, and he showed us some scope shots, and between his battery power supply for it and the attenuator, it was MUCH cleaner from a squarewave/overshoot/ringing standpoint.  It's always nice when the data matches the listening impressions.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #167 on: 13 Jul 2010, 11:09 pm »
Hal:
I believe I have the same 2 port powered USB hub. I simply pried the hub apart (came apart easily) and unhooked the incoming 5VDC wire from the USB cable. Put some heat shrink or tape around it and snap back together. Your hub is now powered from external supply only.
Chris H.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #168 on: 13 Jul 2010, 11:21 pm »
You know you can probably do this a lot simpler & cheaper by just getting a USB extension cable & stripping some of the insulation off to expose the red 5V wire & black ground wire. Do this near the end that you will be plugging into your Hiface. Cut the red wire & connect your external 5V to the red wire end that goes to your Hiface device. strip, but don't cut, the black ground wire & connect your external ground to this.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #169 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:05 am »
Since I already have the 15' USB 2 port cable, it is easier to modify it as BPT points out.  Went ahead and disabled the 5VDC USB supply by removing the +5VDC socket from the connector which was very easy.  Will install some heat shrink on that and try the linear supply.

The question is if the cables NEC chip is a USB2 capable device.  The driver does say hi speed!

Just checked and the HiFace uses 100mA from the USB port according to the driver measurement.   

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #170 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:09 am »
Any noticeable sound improvement? What amount?

PeteG

« Reply #171 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:47 am »
I ordered two BNC 6db attenuators, I'll see how it goes.

mgalusha

« Reply #172 on: 14 Jul 2010, 02:04 am »
Oh, and he showed us some scope shots, and between his battery power supply for it and the attenuator, it was MUCH cleaner from a squarewave/overshoot/ringing standpoint.  It's always nice when the data matches the listening impressions.

Actually that is John Kenny's battery powered hiFace and the output is considerably better looking on the scope.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #173 on: 14 Jul 2010, 02:36 am »
It is running with the regulated battery DC supply and the powered USB hub!

Will listen over the next few days and compare to the HiFace with the BNC/Attenuator setup.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #174 on: 14 Jul 2010, 09:42 am »
Aha another victim falls for my cunning trap,  muwhahahaha!  :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #175 on: 16 Jul 2010, 10:43 pm »
Well, I think I have found a setup that gives the same effect, but is easier to implement.

I have the RCA version HiFace conneced directly to the DAC with an RCA(m) to RCA(m) adaptor from Radio Shack.  I used a 15' USB cable and it sounds as good as the BNC setup with the 10dB pad.  This is with my DAC, so not sure how this will react with other systems.

The second stage is a powered two port USB hub that I will run off a regulated battery supply.  This should do a nice job of isolating the PC power noise and put the power right at the HiFace.

Will get the connectors at Radio Shack tomorrow to start the project.  I already have the USB cable, battery and 5VDC regulator. :)

interesting, i agree. I just got a hiface yesterday and as i said in my discless review (maybe i posted my review in the wrong section, hm), using the long usb and RS rca adapter sounded much, much better than the Neotech coax cable...

mgalusha

« Reply #176 on: 20 Jul 2010, 01:52 pm »
Looks like Mapleshade is offering a hiFace in a maple enclosure for $189.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #177 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:16 pm »
How did it go?

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #178 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:17 pm »
It is running with the regulated battery DC supply and the powered USB hub!

Will listen over the next few days and compare to the HiFace with the BNC/Attenuator setup.
Any impressions?

wushuliu

« Reply #179 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:55 pm »
Looks like Mapleshade is offering a hiFace in a maple enclosure for $189.

I got the new catalog yesterday, it mentioned theirs is also cryo'd...