How to demagnetize S&B Tx-102 ?

klamka

How to demagnetize S&B Tx-102 ?
« on: 27 Feb 2008, 08:28 pm »
For last couple of years I was playing my DIY TVC on 6+ settings . Today I wanted to check how it would sound on unity gain and the sound became somewhat confused and sort of out of phase sounding .I like the unit, it makes rather pleasant noises but I recall now that when I took it to a friend with modest passive pre (resistors or good POts) we didn't noticed much of a difference  (system was pretty good ) .The S&B TVC is a mark I version .  Additionally I bypassed TVC and run the interconnects straight to amps from phono pre .It sounded like it is louder with more bass and dynamics than trough 6+ settings . Something is not kosher . Phono pre is Hagerman Cornet 2 with oversized output cap (from 1uF to 2 uF) and amps have 250k imput impedance cables are 1 meter on each side. I bought the TVC used , maybe they are magnetized ?? Regards, L

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: How to demagnetize S&B Tx-102 ?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2008, 05:37 pm »
Hello!

Sorry for the late reply..... I need to check the forum more often!  It does sound like somethings up for sure.... The chance of the being magnetized is extremely rare - I've never seen a case of that. Also the fact that the sound is a lot quieter in +6mode than straight to your amps from the phono stage is indicating that the phono stage is having trouble driving +6db mode - keep in mind +6db mode is 4x (ball park) harder to drive than the more typical unity gain mode. For a source with lots of grunt no problem but maybe the stage is having a harder time with it. Few questions:

- How was the sound before you made the switch to unity gain mode and were you using the same source then?

-The sound being confused and out of phase in unity gain mode is strange - had you ever used that mode before? How long have you had the TVC unit?

Feel free to call (604) 538-9812 to review the setup on the phone - often a phone call can answer lots of questions in one go.

Thansk!

John

klamka

Re: How to demagnetize S&B Tx-102 ?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2008, 02:52 pm »
Sorry John
It's all alright .I don't know what was the cause of my confusion with unity connection . I "did it again" and it works like a charm . I smoke way too much hookah recently -I guess :oops:
Regards , L