VR33 vs Magnepan 1.7

Austin08

Re: VR33 vs Magnepan 1.7
« Reply #20 on: 28 Sep 2015, 01:10 pm »
JackD210,

I agree with what you said. My comment on "bass and soundstage" reply directly to Henry. At my house, the MG 3.7i put out a full wall of sound and its bass is impressive enough for me. Anyway, my MG and all the VR models that I have heard are at higher level and much more expensive than what OP is asking so I did not want to make any suggestion or comment.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2015, 06:26 pm »
I think it's quite obvious to anyone with a trace of gray matter,  so I'm not gonna waste my time explaining it to a troll.

..troll?   Check my post history my friend..VR5 owner and been posting here for years.  I've only seen posts from you recently...who exactly is the troll?...ha

simoon

« Reply #22 on: 28 Sep 2015, 08:24 pm »
..troll?   Check my post history my friend..VR5 owner and been posting here for years.  I've only seen posts from you recently...who exactly is the troll?...ha

And you don't understand why judging something as subjective as speaker sound quality, without hearing one of the speakers being judged, is ridiculous? Especially taking into consideration the extremely high reputations both speakers have?

To the OP.

Having heard both speakers, a seemingly necessary prerequisite for stating that one of them will 'blow the other away', I can say that they both have advantages and disadvantages over the other.

One thing that the Maggies do better, is detail. If you think you might want more detail than your VR33's, then give the Maggies a listen.

But you really need to hear them for yourself in order to judge whether the positives you will gain, are a good trade off for the positives you may lose.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2015, 09:44 pm »
..Henry looks as if we've been taken to school.  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to audition a pair of Magnepan 1.7s and report back...over and out  :thumb:

sunnydaze

« Reply #24 on: 28 Sep 2015, 10:00 pm »

I have almost 600 posts under my current nom de plume.  Before that, I had 1842 posts under my alter ego toobluvr (look about an inch to the left and you will see this)  starting in 2004.  Your posts start in 2006.  So I've been around longer than you, and I exceed your post count.   

Oh for 2 .........time to get your eyes checked, my friend?      :lol:

Not that any of this matters as these things correlate not a bit w/ troll like behaviour.   Whereas dumb questions with self-evident answers, aimed at stirring the pot, do.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 28 Sep 2015, 10:34 pm »
..you have very few posts here old buddy...that's what I was referring to.  You can stop insulting me now.  Just for the record I was an honors graduate BSEE back in the day and still have functioning gray matter.  I've been eyeball deep in this hobby since 1969 and know a bit about all things electrical, not that that will matter much.  Regarding my initial post that drew the insults, of course anyone making comparisons between components probably should auditioned both.  My push back was due to the tone of your reply to Henry.

This will be my last hurrah regarding this subject.  Happy listening!

sunnydaze

« Reply #26 on: 29 Sep 2015, 01:44 pm »
....... My push back was due to the tone of your reply to Henry.

Huh?!    :scratch: :o

Member htradtx said a speaker he had never heard !! would get blown away by another speaker.  I simply said that's a ridiculous statement.  And it is!  Nothing wrong with my tone.

Then you asked why it's ridiculous.  I replied that anyone with any common sense at all needs no explanation, and is acting like a troll with the question.  Insulting?  I don't think so.  Just stating a trueism.  Directed specifically at you?  Probably.......if the shoe fits..........

Anyways.....This is my last comment here, I won't  :deadhorse:.  Peace.  Out.

PS:    I'm sure your VR5s are wonderful, and congratulations on your honors degree!     :thumb:

htradtk

« Reply #27 on: 29 Sep 2015, 10:56 pm »
Let's put this to rest!! No matter what speaker you own, "good for you", may they bring you all many hours of listening enjoyment! Born with Cerebral Palsy (no pity party please), I'm used to the criticism! I am very fortunate to have two wonderful parents who raised me into the man I am. Work a full time job (Department of Defense), can't say much about it, would have to kill you. Lol. I'm just so glad that I came across the VSA line and able to afford a wonderful sounding speaker like the VR-5 Anniversary MKII! And for customer service, stellar! How many CEO's out there send out personnel E-mails to their customers? Congrats Albert, you are the best! Also, this forum is the best! Love reading the post from such posters as Gavin, Jack, Robert, Joe and to all the other great posters out there! Your knowledge is the best. May I wish Albert and VSA much success on their VR-55 model (it's high on my list!) and any future model! Happy Listening to all.

Henry

OldFaithful

« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2015, 03:45 pm »
Keep in mind that the VR 33's retail for what $3750? .. While the 1.7's retail is $2000...... For an additional $1750 I'd add a REL Sub and MyeAudio stands and with those additions I'd rather have the Maggie setup vs the VR 33's .. IF .. I had the room that the Maggies need.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #29 on: 30 Sep 2015, 06:59 pm »
Keep in mind that the VR 33's retail for what $3750? .. While the 1.7's retail is $2000...... For an additional $1750 I'd add a REL Sub and MyeAudio stands and with those additions I'd rather have the Maggie setup vs the VR 33's .. IF .. I had the room that the Maggies need.

I guess the natural question OldFaithful is, have you heard the VR33's?  If so, when and where? 

SundayNiagara

« Reply #30 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:26 pm »
I guess the natural question OldFaithful is, have you heard the VR33's?  If so, when and where?

There aren't any dealers.

OldFaithful

« Reply #31 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:59 pm »
No I've not heard that particular model. But I have heard other models over the years and like them .. a lot. For example the VR 4 Sr Mk II's are great speakers .. which I have have heard at length at HigherFi (south of Minneapolis) and preferred my system of Maggie 3.6's with custom crossovers/Mye Stands/Rel Storm II/Audio Research and Pass amps... compared to the system that Chris Moon was using to play the VR 4's .. Don't get me wrong I liked those speakers but for $12K .. I preferred my speakers that at the time retailed for about $8.5K (3.6R's..MyeStands..Crossovers..Sub) I'd like to hear the VR33's or the Customs - I'm sure they both are high value loudspeakers and sound just great. The other benefit for me is my dedicated listening room - 26' x 15' with 9' ceilings - perfect for Maggies..with the 3.6R's pulled out 7' from the wall and zero WAF in play :)

mdconnelly

« Reply #32 on: 30 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm »
... my dedicated listening room - 26' x 15' with 9' ceilings - perfect for Maggies..with the 3.6R's pulled out 7' from the wall and zero WAF in play :)

Now that's something to envy  :thumb:   

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #33 on: 1 Oct 2015, 04:15 am »
No I've not heard that particular model. But I have heard other models over the years and like them .. a lot. For example the VR 4 Sr Mk II's are great speakers .. which I have have heard at length at HigherFi (south of Minneapolis) and preferred my system of Maggie 3.6's with custom crossovers/Mye Stands/Rel Storm II/Audio Research and Pass amps... compared to the system that Chris Moon was using to play the VR 4's .. Don't get me wrong I liked those speakers but for $12K .. I preferred my speakers that at the time retailed for about $8.5K (3.6R's..MyeStands..Crossovers..Sub) I'd like to hear the VR33's or the Customs - I'm sure they both are high value loudspeakers and sound just great. The other benefit for me is my dedicated listening room - 26' x 15' with 9' ceilings - perfect for Maggies..with the 3.6R's pulled out 7' from the wall and zero WAF in play :)

My problem with the Maggie's and the stats,,, when I look over my shoulder to the left, then to the right, the soundstage collapses.  Guess I'm just a VSA and a dynamic cone guy.  The classic vr4jr's @$4k "trumps" ribbons and stats, to my ears.  Ribbons much too polite for my needs. 

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 1 Oct 2015, 08:09 pm »
I've spent considerable time in the sweet spot (very small sweet spot I might add) of the CLXs and although the detail was off the charts the soundstage depth was pretty much nil.  I really wanted to like them but alas Albert and company win again..  :thumb:

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #35 on: 1 Oct 2015, 09:10 pm »
I remember hearing the Requests back in the day.  Stepped into the room and thought I had just arrived in heaven.  Then I stepped two feet to the side and realized I was in hell!  Ok, I was a big fan of the Quads but they too were very room and listening position dependent!  Albert VS really takes the best qualities of the stats and ribbons and builds one helluva dynamic sound system. I'll be sure to check the Maggie room out at rmaf tomorrow!

SundayNiagara

« Reply #36 on: 2 Oct 2015, 07:23 pm »
I've spent considerable time in the sweet spot (very small sweet spot I might add) of the CLXs and although the detail was off the charts the soundstage depth was pretty much nil.  I really wanted to like them but alas Albert and company win again..  :thumb:

Remember Pearson's Rule Of Thirds. Chances are, the CLXs weren't given enough room to breathe.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #37 on: 2 Oct 2015, 07:27 pm »
I remember hearing the Requests back in the day.  Stepped into the room and thought I had just arrived in heaven.  Then I stepped two feet to the side and realized I was in hell!  Ok, I was a big fan of the Quads but they too were very room and listening position dependent!  Albert VS really takes the best qualities of the stats and ribbons and builds one helluva dynamic sound system. I'll be sure to check the Maggie room out at rmaf tomorrow!

There is no speaker on the planet that does the midrange better than ESL63 & later Quads. How many time have  you seen these words in a review? "Quadlike midrange?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #38 on: 2 Oct 2015, 09:48 pm »
The Rule of Thirds from Jazz Audio:
"Pearson suggests following his “Rule of Thirds,” which divides the listening room into thirds along the width and the length: place the speakers at the one-third mark away from the rear wall and one each at the one-third mark into the room from the sidewall".

I don't think the side walls are that big a deal with the Magnepans - it's basically start with them close together and move them apart until the soundstage starts to fall apart into two separate speakers and then adjust toe-in from there.
This will give you a real good starting point:
http://www.magnepan.com/manual_17#SpeakerPlacement

I've never heard the VR33s so can't comment on their sound but I do know the 1.7s can sound tremendous with the right equipment, set up and room size. 

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 3 Oct 2015, 02:45 pm »

Remember Pearson's Rule Of Thirds. Chances are, the CLXs weren't given enough room to breathe.

..nope SN, they were well out into a controlled room