Cheap and good Power Surge Protector????

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Cheap and good Power Surge Protector????
« Reply #20 on: 3 Aug 2016, 08:58 pm »
Plugs with wire clamps are always an improvement over molded plugs, Shunyata tested this with their dynamic transient current test...
Possibly one of the dumbest tests ever.
Calling something a virtue (radio frequency response of an AC power line) that audiophiles buy a power conditioner (filter) to reduce.

Also, few folks have 20A receptacles for the 20A plugs. Installing a decent plug will definitely make for an overall improvement in sound.
The only reason for a 20A receptacle is if you have molded 20A plugs. As a the internal receptacle parts are designed for 20A. The only difference is the plug slot.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 4 Aug 2016, 12:36 pm »
Plugs with wire clamps are always an improvement over molded plugs, Shunyata tested this with their dynamic transient current test... 
They are a mass marketing audiophile company. 

Also, few folks have 20A receptacles for the 20A plugs. Installing a decent plug will definitely make for an overall improvement in sound.

Yes, I know.  This is exactly why I recommended a 15A model above when you said to get a 20A and cut the end off.  Sorry but that's insanity.

SS, Replacing a plug is very easy, I'm sure Sonny can handle it ;)
...and totally unnecessary.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #22 on: 4 Aug 2016, 01:36 pm »
Had a lightning strike a few days ago. Took out a Tripp Lite surge protector. It happened during a listening session. Surprisingly no harm to my audio gear. Did lose 2 tv's that were on surge protectors we purchased from Dish.
The Tripp protector worked. Rated for 3840 joules. My insurance guy is going to recommend the Tripp units for his clients.
I do have a Tripp Lite power conditioner in front of the surge protectors. Still passing electric but cannot say it does much else..

Sonny

« Reply #23 on: 4 Aug 2016, 02:44 pm »
Thanks all for the comments. I am going to go with the Tripp Lite for now, mainly due to price and I read a review on the Supra and it said that it did affect the sound.

Have any of you using the Tripp Lite notice any changes with and without it in?

Thanks

jpm

« Reply #24 on: 4 Aug 2016, 04:14 pm »
Scout around on eBay for the Tripp Lites - I was able to find a box of 6 brand new Isobar Ultra 4 (4 outlet) models for $120 shipped in 2014 when I decided it was time to take a slightly more serious approach to power protection. I use them for TV and ancillary electronics so can't comment on any sound impact.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #25 on: 4 Aug 2016, 04:27 pm »
Sonny.
Personally I have not found them to have any effect on sq..
Your setup is probably more revealing than mine though..

Early B.

« Reply #26 on: 4 Aug 2016, 04:48 pm »
I put a TrippLite Isobar on my wife's system and it sounds absolutely dreadful. I only keep it there because my wife doesn't care and won't notice. As Dave indicated, a used SurgeX (which I have on my main system) is far superior in function and in sound quality, and won't cost much more than a new TrippLite.

Wayner

« Reply #27 on: 4 Aug 2016, 05:23 pm »
Thanks all for the comments. I am going to go with the Tripp Lite for now, mainly due to price and I read a review on the Supra and it said that it did affect the sound.

Have any of you using the Tripp Lite notice any changes with and without it in?

Thanks

No. I also have an Emotiva CMX-2 DC offset filter ahead of the Tripp-lites. Sounds Great. I also listen in near field, so I can pretty much hear everything.

Sonny

« Reply #28 on: 7 Aug 2016, 04:18 am »
Wayner, you noticeable effect on the sound with the Tripp lite that you can hear?

werd

« Reply #29 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:31 pm »

srb

« Reply #30 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:55 pm »
If you're not going to get something like the Surge-X and instead do go with an MOV-based surge protector, the MOV lifespan is cumulative and the Tripp Lite Isobar Ultra will give you 3840 joules worth of supression compared to the Belkin's 885 joules.

Steve

Sonny

« Reply #31 on: 4 Dec 2016, 06:15 pm »
So,

I chose the SurgeX, the 4 outlet version and have been using it with good results.  No noticeable degradation of sonics and here in Gig Harbor, WA, we've had a few storms this fall/winter resulting in power outages.  All have been working wonderfully except one thing.  I have built and used my DIY Pass XONO phono stage for a number of years now, and since it's been plugged into the SurgeX, when left overnight, the fuse  has gone bad TWICE!  This has never happened before even when left on for days/weeks directly connected to the wall or normal, non MOV, power strip.  I have no reason to believe anything but there might be something going on between the XONO's power supply and the SurgeX?

Thoughts?

Thanks

werd

« Reply #32 on: 4 Dec 2016, 07:10 pm »
If you're not going to get something like the Surge-X and instead do go with an MOV-based surge protector, the MOV lifespan is cumulative and the Tripp Lite Isobar Ultra will give you 3840 joules worth of supression compared to the Belkin's 885 joules.

Steve

Yeah I would probably do that one first.

deadhead

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2017, 02:44 pm »
I'm biased since I live in NJ.  I went to visit ZeroSurge yesterday and picked up model 8R15W.  The nicest people to deal with!  The thing is built like a tank and they stand behind their products.  It's been plugged in for a day.  I can say there's any noticeable difference in sound good or bad.  I'm happy to have my equipment protected.

sts9fan

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2017, 03:08 pm »
Are not ZeroSurge. Brickwall and SurgeX all ZeroSurge's IP or licence? I went with Zero Surge because its the same guts but cheaper. 

bacobits1

« Reply #35 on: 29 Jun 2017, 03:11 pm »
I have the BrickWall line filter for the last 10 years and never looked back at all the BS that went on for years about some expensive line filters. Been there done that. As in the Surge X it never restricted as in degradation to the sound.

AQ has a $10k surge filter whatever called the Niagara?  :scratch:
Geeeze stupidity!

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #36 on: 29 Jun 2017, 05:05 pm »
Yes, ZeroSurge, Brickwall and SurgeX all use the same (IP) technology.
I think that the differences are in the add-on features.

Doublej

« Reply #37 on: 29 Jun 2017, 11:20 pm »
I wonder if we could get ZeroSurge to offer an Audio Circle special?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #38 on: 29 Jun 2017, 11:29 pm »
just bought a SurgeX used on ebay for under $100.  6 receptacles, 8 amps. Some of the two receptacles have gone for $50

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #39 on: 30 Jun 2017, 05:44 am »
I bought a new Surge X for $150 on ebay about 9 mos. ago. There are a lot of used ones there for cheaper.