Unexpected HD short life

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Unexpected HD short life
« on: 13 Sep 2020, 10:38 pm »
It was a Seagate Barracuda sata 500gb firmware KC45 7200rpm lasted only 7 / 8 years, 200gb used.

It simple dont start, I have two questions:
- 5400rpm disks will last longer? 
- How I reset the use clock counter?

WGH

Re: Unexpected HD short life
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2020, 04:19 am »
If it don't start you can't fix it. Sometime you can put the hdd in a plastic bag in the freezer for a few hours, then while still freezing cold plug it in for data recovery but this procedure will not resurrect a dead drive.

I think you mean "Used Reserved Block Count" not "use clock counter"?

How to Fix S.M.A.R.T. 0xB2 Error: Used Reserved Block Count
https://recoveryutility.com/fix-used-reserved-block-count-smart-error

You can also do a Low Level Format and pick the zero fill erase option

The most common reasons to Zero Fill a SATA or ATA (IDE) hard drive are:

to remove a virus that cannot be removed without destroying the boot sector.
    to change from one operating system to another and wish to remove everything from the drive.
    to erase confidential information for privacy reasons.
    to scan for bad sectors that can be detected and replaced with good spare sectors when writing to the sectors.

Seagate has a tool: https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/how-do-i-low-level-format-a-sata-or-ata-ide-hard-drive-203931en/

Other tools: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=seagate+low+level+format

But again, if it doesn't spin up then it's a door stop. As for rpm vs. longevity I haven't a clue.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2020, 05:31 am »
There is the option tô just change the control board around  $20.

I dont need recover data as I have backup in DVD, I will lost only the FF favorités always a pitá.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2020, 03:01 pm »
Let us know how it works out.

How did you diagnose the hdd to find out the control board is bad instead of a mechanical problem?

I would buy a new 1TB drive for $35.99 instead of putting $20 into an 8 year old dead drive.
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-3-5-Inch/dp/B07QHK5MXF/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3UHUH8DWD42TK&dchild=1&keywords=seagate+barracuda+1tb&qid=1600095584&sprefix=seagate%2Caps%2C233&sr=8-3

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2020, 10:51 pm »
I had some resolutions:
- No more Seagate, will move tô other brand.
- no more 7200rpm too  fast  short life

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2020, 11:24 pm »
On Google I found usualy the control pcb are damaged due heat.

In my case I believe the pcb are fine as some time ago the  HD show a hi spl treble noise - Scraping head.

jpm

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2020, 11:53 pm »
The inclination to boycott a manufacturer as the result of a disappointing experience is totally understandable.  Most, if not all, hard drive manufacturers have had a run of drives whose reliability seems to underperform - going back 15 to 20 years, the IBM "Deathstar" was the range to hate. IBM sold their drive business to Hitachi (HGST) and reliability ranks very highly these days.

One great source of information to reference before buying new drives is published by Backblaze.  This is one of the best ways to reduce the risk of buying a drive from a "troubled" line.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2020/   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2020, 12:22 am »
Thanks very Interesting.
Any opinion on the brand Western Digital?

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:25 am »
Any opinion on the brand Western Digital?

Like the stock market, past hard drive performance is no guarantee of future performance.

To find out if a Western Digital hard drive made today would last until 2030 and beyond would require the use of a 1982 DeLorean DMC-12 with a flux capacitor.

Search for Enterprise Class Hard Drives if concerned about longevity but expect to pay double verses a consumer drive's cost. Check out the guarantees, some are 10 years.

"HGST was the most reliable of the hard drive providers and had an annual failure of only 1 percent. Toshiba had an annual failure rate of nearly 3.5 percent, Seagate ranked in at slightly more than that but still under 4 percent, and Western Digital topped the charts at just under 7 percent."
https://platinumdatarecovery.com/blog/which-hard-drive-brand-is-the-most-reliable

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2020, 08:38 am »
Thanks  :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2020, 09:10 am »
WD is what I use for portable 2.5" 5400 RPM drives (My Passport), external powered 3.5" 7200 RPM hard drives (My Book), and NAS drives (Red 5400 RPM). I use these for storage.

For SATA OS drives in non-Macs, like the Intel NUC, I've switched to Samsung 860 EVO. The other SSD I'd consider is the Crucial MX500. If I wanted a HDD for internal use with OS and apps, or high reliability, I'd opt for the WD Gold Enterprise.

Most people also find WD's quieter in general in comparison to relative Seagate models. For example, I keep my Red inside a DS119J a meter away and I hear it only at startup when it spins up. At its normal spinning speed, its barely there and even if I hear it, it's not annoying at all. I've had other drives that were quite irritating. 5400 RPM from WD is my recommendation if silence is required.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:41 pm »
I have great news today  :thumb:
I have just put the HD a half hour in the sun and installed again in the PC and it started running again, all files are there, any explanation welcomed?

It save me some cash and lots of trouble as there is no 5400rpm I can could see in this country due the sanitary crisis only the current 7200rpm.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2020, 06:38 pm »
I have great news today  :thumb:
I have just put the HD a half hour in the sun and installed again in the PC and it started running again, all files are there, any explanation welcomed?

It save me some cash and lots of trouble as there is no 5400rpm I can could see in this country due the sanitary crisis only the current 7200rpm.

If I were you, I'd back up all that data to a new drive immediately.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2020, 11:58 pm »
Iam suspecting this HD have no defect, this evening I get the same amber steady 1 & 3 error codes on the front panel on this Optiplex 990 2012/2020 and after I power off the PS button for about 10 seconds the erros lights gone and the HD started to life.

The Dell service manual are complete misleading and appoint to memory errors or CR2032 BIOS battery error, a shame.

OBS.: The Dell manual appoint only to memory chip error the battery suggestion was a comment I see on a forum by a member.

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2020, 12:06 am »
Have you replaced the CR2032 battery? They do wear out and when they do the computer won't start or other weird things happen because the BIOS looses information. The battery is only a couple of dollars and available everywhere.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2020, 12:14 am »
I not able to find a quality 2032 lately so far, but will looking again.
I dont see need for a new one since the current Bios file are operational, it was replaced about 1 year ago.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2020, 02:20 am by FullRangeMan »

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2020, 12:34 am »
7-8 years is a very long life for a hard disk (a startup disk anyway). That's impressive, not poor IMO.  I have had very good luck with Seagates.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2020, 01:13 am »
Current HD state, time life 19508 hours.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2020, 11:38 pm »
Inspecting the memory Cards as error code suggested found that all the four memory slots are very loose in the mother board.

Seems the slots open, no grip, incredible.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2020, 08:00 pm »
I was ready to buy a new expensive mother board as the memory slots are all solded in the board, not replaceable, so the Good Lord bless me allowing me to find a real honest TI senior man with 40 years of experience and he fix my slots and cleaned the cabinet inside for just 10% of the previous budget  8)

I was stunned to see he working, knew all about the problem and the implications, really amazing, this man worth his weight in gold.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2020, 09:26 pm by FullRangeMan »