3 Body Problem, Netflix

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
3 Body Problem, Netflix
« on: 22 Mar 2024, 11:42 am »
A new thread for the very different Netflix version of 3 Body Problem.  I'm somewhere in episode three as I had to stop to make the last showing of Dune 2 at our local theater.  Absolutely brilliant so far.  They've gone far afield of the books in several areas, the characters know each other before the events and they're the same people, as much as possible, through the time shifts.  The writing, the casting, plot lines, the acting, the pacing, all just crackerjack so far.  I'll be binging this until this season is done.

WGH

Re: 3 Body Problem, Netflix
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2024, 03:19 pm »
I'm 1-1/2 episodes into the series. So far, so good. The writers somehow managed to squeeze a lot of the complicated plot into each episode making the series faster paced than the 30 episode Chinese adaptation and the books. The Chinese version has better character development but the acting is stilted compared to the Western acting style. Fans should watch both series, the Chinese adaptation is a faithful representation of the books.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2024, 05:59 pm »
I just began watching this. I am just finishing episode 2. It's very intriguing. The Mandarin is very clear and easy to understand.    :popcorn:

kmmd

• My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2024, 08:46 pm »
The wife and I are finishing episode 4. Oh my.  Yes the Mandarin is quite clear

garyalex

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2024, 11:50 pm »
I'm 1-1/2 episodes into the series. So far, so good. The writers somehow managed to squeeze a lot of the complicated plot into each episode making the series faster paced than the 30 episode Chinese adaptation and the books. The Chinese version has better character development but the acting is stilted compared to the Western acting style. Fans should watch both series, the Chinese adaptation is a faithful representation of the books.

I liked both but preferred the Chinese version.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2024, 11:48 am »
I suppose it helps to have read the book or be familiar with the storyline. I watched the first episode and wondered, "What's going on?" It wasn't compelling enough for me to continue watching the series.

garyalex

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2024, 04:37 pm »
I can understand how this series could be confusing without the benefit of having read the books, especially when the VR game is introduced.  Once the purpose of the game is clear I think it becomes wonderful and amazing.  That applies to the rest of the series as well.

Boybees

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2024, 07:18 pm »
As a long-time science fiction reader, I found the three books in the series to be the best new science fiction I'd read in many years. The author's imagination is staggering.

qdrone

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2024, 05:47 pm »
I liked it,hoping Netflix doesn't bail on series. Seems they are being quite frugal these days.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2024, 10:57 pm »
I really liked first season and hoping there will be more to come.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2024, 08:33 pm »
I watched the first two episodes. After this thread, I ordered the book which I'll read before continuing the series.

garyalex

« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2024, 11:15 pm »
You're in for a hell of a ride.  Enjoy it.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2024, 10:33 am »
I watched the first two episodes. After this thread, I ordered the book which I'll read before continuing the series.

Similar here.  I finished season one and will likely get the book series before more seasons are released.  I'm the outlier on this issue, I think you should see the movie before reading the book(s).  Reading the book first usually ruins the movie for me.  There are exceptions, The Ring trilogy is one.  I'm thinking 3 Body might be another with the detailed physics mentioned in book reviews.