What I've been missing...

hairofthedawg

What I've been missing...
« on: 26 Feb 2003, 07:55 pm »
I received my roompack and extra seams today and installed them as soon as I got home.   Bill said they were light and easy to pack and he was definitely right!  Installation will be a snap if you have the right kind of walls.  I don't and the supplied push pins wouldn't go into my walls so right now they are held up by tacky looking tape which is why you won't see any pictures for awhile.

As far as appearance, they're noticeable but the lighter color blends in well with the color of my room.  They'd actually be attractive if I can find another method to attach them aside from the tape and hide those in the windows behind some curtains.

I got a room pack and 4 extra seams.  The room pack has 4 corners which were attached per the instructions on the web page and Bill's suggestions, 2 echo busters, one installed in the middle of the forward wall and one on the left side wall.  I have no right wall. and 4 seams.   I installed  one seam on each of the front windows, you can see my room in my gallery, one in each front corner one on each side wall and two in the rear of the room, one on the rear wall and another in an indentation in the ceiling near the rear wall.

The main problems in my room "were" boomy bass at certain frequencies and balance.  I was also concerned about the soundstage, but really didn't know enough about how a good one sounded to know what I was missing.

What I was missing...and I thought I had a pretty detailed system...

The first thing I notice was the the lower notes of the bass guitar had a lot more detail.  This surprised me as I expected some improvement with the boominess, but not with detail.  I hear a lot more individual notes compared to what I thought were merely sustained notes.  Most of the improvement was at the lower frequencies, mid and upper bass stayed pretty much the same.  It helped a lot with the balance of my system, although it didn't fix it completely.  Before I used maybe a quarter inch of balance control vs. using maybe a sixteenth now.  I've listened to two of my favorites so far, "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too" by the New Radicals on CD and "The Making of Stars and Stripes" on DVD by the Beach Boys.  On the New Radicals CD there were parts on a couple of songs where the music seemed to come from beside and behind me.  I thought it sounded cool if a little strange.  I no longer hear it.  There were also a lot of songs that had fingers on strings sounds.  There are now a lot more and they're clearer.  A lot more drumsticks and very, very clear piano. The most amazing thing I heard was on the Beach Boys DVD.  They were doing "Warmth of the Sun" and Willie Nelson was singing the lead.  The boys were doing 5 part harmony around a single microphone and they were there!  I know which guy does which part and I could hear them as they were arranged around the mike.  There's just a lot more music there!

Bill has already suggested what I think is the remedy for the remaining balance problem and I agree that I need a couple of floorstanders to help make my room more of a rectangle than a room with 3 corners and a large open space behind it.    

This has probably been the most cost effective purchase of mine so far.  Customer service was fantastic.  I sent Bill photos and descriptions of my room and received room specific advice very quickly.

I'm a happy customer!

cheers,

Dick

edit:  Probably best to ask Bill any questions unless you don't mind waiting for a response.  I'll respond eventually, but can't guarantee it will be prompt for awhile.