Maggie Covers?

Saturn94

Maggie Covers?
« on: 22 Aug 2022, 10:04 pm »
Anyone try these covers for Maggies, particularly to protect from pets?

https://www.digitaldeckcovers.com/magnepan-lrs-speakers

I wonder if the vinyl cover would discourage cats from damaging Maggies?

While we currently don’t have any cats, it’s a possibility in the future.

Many, many years ago we had 3 cats.  When I purchased an SVS cylinder sub (it was covered in a car carpet like material) I was worried about it being an attractive scratching post.  Interestingly, none of the cats paid any attention to it.  They didn’t even jump on top of it.

Please, no jokes about harming cats!  :nono:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Maggie Covers?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2022, 10:40 pm »
When I had a cat I gave the speakers a spray with some sort of cat repellant I got at a pet store and he never went near the speakers.
Had a dog use one as a fire hydrant, that was bad.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2022, 11:07 pm »
I lost several dust covers to kitties, including a pair of Maggie 1.7s that they particularly liked to climb.  With my current kitty I bought some motion activated air canisters that hit her with a blast of air if she got too close.  Seems to have worked.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2022, 03:11 pm »
I initially had MMG's and covered those in drum liners (large garbage bags for those industrial sized cans) and that worked until I bought the 1.6's.

I sold my 1.6QR's as my 2 younger cats were climbing them.  The older cat never even looked at them.

Still have the 3 cats.  Perhaps in the future when they are gone (and the dog my wife is pining for arrives) I will revisit this.

I have a thick vinyl cover on my pool table - not vertical of course - and the cats still walk on that - so it certainly won't discourage them by itself - perhaps the vertical nature will.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2022, 05:49 pm »
I've said this before and everyone probably thought I was kidding but I'm not:
I'm told that other animals are terrified of the smell of tiger urine. 
I wonder why that might be?

If you have a real problem and there's a zoo nearby I'd buddy up to one of the zookeepers in the big cat area and ask them for some soiled bedding.  One whiff and they'll probably steer clear for life.

brooklyn

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2022, 05:58 pm »
We had cats over the years, the only time I had a problem was many years ago with my
MG2B’s. When I walked into the listening room, there was a cat sitting atop one of the
speakers. The rest of the cats couldn’t care less.

Now we have a dog which I never had any problems with but I always keep the original
plastic packing bags on the .7’s when not in use.. just in case a problem should occur and
to keep the dust off of them..

EWN

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2022, 10:02 pm »
I have and currently use 3 dust covers from Digital Deck Covers, not LRS.  I went with black vinyl and they are the absolute best quality and fit perfectly.  Hand made to order and fast shipping.  I can't recommend them enough.