Rewired my M4 TM with Jena Labs wire

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Rewired my M4 TM with Jena Labs wire
« on: 24 May 2020, 06:36 pm »
All my interconnects and speaker connections are with Jena Labs, including power cables, so
I decided to rewire my M4’s with Jena Labs 18 ga. wiring. Previous wiring were stock
and lately Duelund. I was never happy  with the latter, kind of opaque sounding. Since the change yesterday I have noticed more air around instruments and a more smooth presentation, even without much  break in. I
think it mostly has to do with the synergy of having the same connection characteristic throughout.

Manolo

Re: Rewired my M4 TM with Jena Labs wire
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2020, 06:40 pm »

[img]https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=209435

Manolo

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2020, 07:34 pm »

Photo

ric

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2020, 01:24 pm »
I plan to rewire my M3's, but what really makes a difference is upgrading crossover parts. If you really want to get the best out of the speakers, try upgrading the resistor with a path audio from HiFi Collective. If you can solder--you can always put the old one back in. Good luck!

Manolo

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2020, 03:41 pm »
There are 2 resistors in the cross over. Could not read their values. Everything is tightly glued together.  Would a meter measurement be ok? And would I have to disconnect at least one end of the resistors? Than u.

ric

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2020, 01:23 pm »
I'm certainly no expert, but if you can identify the resistor(s) and can read what value they are (my M3TS' are 30ohm) then what I did was cut the wires to the resistors leaving enough wire to reattach them and leave them in place if possible, take pictures and write things down helped me. When I talked to Chris at Jupiter caps (he does not have the resistors) he suggested replacing one thing at a time, so for me, I replaced the 6.8uf cap first, liked what I heard, replaced the 68uf cap, liked what I heard and finally replaced the resistor. I ended up putting the crossovers outside of the speaker because the Jupiter caps were gigantic--and so is the sound!