SoundScape 10/12 (HT4) design finalized

Big Red Machine

Re: HT4 (SoundScape 10/12) design finalized
« Reply #140 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:41 pm »
The adjustment can be done by the user on the fly, or at the factory?

You can pop the rear magnetic grill off and stuff the cavity of the mid if you wish/need.  I'm not smart enough to say when the need arises.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: HT4 (SoundScape 10/12) design finalized
« Reply #141 on: 18 Mar 2010, 04:27 pm »
You can pop the rear magnetic grill off and stuff the cavity of the mid if you wish/need.  I'm not smart enough to say when the need arises.

There is no "correct" amount of fill, so it's not something that Jim should set at the factory. He's been running them with no fill--just acoustic lining on the inner walls.  I've been using a little fill.  It's strictly a matter of taste, location, and room size. 

Nuance

Re: SoundScape 10/12 (HT4) design finalized
« Reply #142 on: 18 Mar 2010, 04:38 pm »
Will there be an active version of the SoundScape released, or instead perhaps a version that includes a multiple filter PEQ to be used to adjust the bass driver's frequency in-room?

jsalk

« Reply #143 on: 18 Mar 2010, 05:46 pm »
martyo -

Jim, are there set(base) prices for the 10" and 12" MDF? Thanks

We will introduce the SoundScape 10's in MDF and a standard finish for $9999.  We will then evaluate after about 60 days or so to see if we can hold that price.  I hope we can, but we don't have any build experience to date, so it is hard to predict.

The SoundScape 12" in MDF and a standard finish will start at $13,999 to start.  Again, we will review in 60 days or so, but this price is more likely to hold.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #144 on: 18 Mar 2010, 05:56 pm »
Nuance -

Will there be an active version of the SoundScape released, or instead perhaps a version that includes a multiple filter PEQ to be used to adjust the bass driver's frequency in-room?

We could certainly do a version with DEQX at any time.  That is not an issue and we could do it now.

As for a dedicated active version, that is a little trickier.  There are some very nice active amps with built-in programmable DSP.  Using them would eliminate the need for six channels of outboard amplification.  But there are two issues with this approach. 

First, if you have your favorite brand of amp, you are out of luck since the amps would be built into the speakers.  Second, since it is DSP based, there is a bit of time delay involved.  So you would have to use the same type of active set-ups in all home theater speakers (for 2-channel music reproduction this would not be an issue) so the delays were the same on all channels.

On the flip side, these units are programmable.  So, in theory, you could measure them in the room, develop filters to correct for room modes and upload a new "crossover".  In fact, one manufacturer even has an Ethernet connection so we could log on to the amp remotely and make changes.  Isn't technology wonderful!

The bottom line is that we are custom builders.  If someone wanted to pursue either of these approaches, we'd be happy to work with them and make it a reality.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2010, 07:36 pm by jsalk »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #145 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:27 pm »
Jim

Will the bamboo cabinets be bamboo ply or solid wood sheet? 

jsalk

« Reply #146 on: 18 Mar 2010, 09:05 pm »
jtwrace -

Jim

Will the bamboo cabinets be bamboo ply or solid wood sheet?

Bamboo plywood.  I don't think there is such a thing as solid bamboo hardwood.  There is 3-ply and single ply.  Single ply is just 3/4" strips glued together.  The 3-play is more stable and the end grain looks kind of cool.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #147 on: 18 Mar 2010, 09:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Jim.  Yes, technology certainly is wonderful; ever changing it seems.

Personally I would never go fully active (Dennis' work is better IMO), but I would want to use DEQX to apply EQ to the lower frequencies.  I was just curious, and think its amazing you would (do) offer it.  Its just another reason to buy Salk products.  :)

gthomas

« Reply #148 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:32 pm »
 Jim this may have been asked, but what is the lower extension of the woofers in the SS-10 vs. the SS-12?

Jeff B.

« Reply #149 on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:35 pm »
The ultimate -3dB point is very close between the two. The SS-12 has an F3 of 18Hz and the SS-10 is about 19Hz. The difference is in the sensitivity with the Soundscape 12 being almost 3dB more sensitive (Dennis can correct me if he was able to level the crossover out differently than this, but I think this is how it should work out based on the modeling). Then the 12" has a bit more cone area too, so it will be able to reach a slightly higher max SPL. I doubt too many people will ever push things to the point of noticing this though  :wink:

Jeff B.

Jim this may have been asked, but what is the lower extension of the woofers in the SS-10 vs. the SS-12?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #150 on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:43 pm »
What is the sensitivity of the SS-12 and SS-10 ? I dont believe i ever saw it?

vintagebob

« Reply #151 on: 23 Apr 2010, 11:27 pm »
What is the sensitivity of the SS-12 and SS-10 ? I dont believe i ever saw it?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78682.msg749931#msg749931

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #152 on: 24 Apr 2010, 02:19 am »
The ultimate -3dB point is very close between the two. The SS-12 has an F3 of 18Hz and the SS-10 is about 19Hz. The difference is in the sensitivity with the Soundscape 12 being almost 3dB more sensitive (Dennis can correct me if he was able to level the crossover out differently than this, but I think this is how it should work out based on the modeling). Then the 12" has a bit more cone area too, so it will be able to reach a slightly higher max SPL. I doubt too many people will ever push things to the point of noticing this though  :wink:

Jeff B.

The difference in sensitivity between the SS10 and 12 with the Accuton ended up pretty much exactly at 3 db, just as you predicted--maybe a shade less.  The SS12 is probably an honest 87.5 dB, and the 10 a smidge under 85. 

honesthoff

« Reply #153 on: 8 May 2010, 05:57 am »
Jim and Dennis,

I was very intrigued by the FAL, Raal combo you had experimented with, and saddened that I did not work out.  Is there a chance you will be experimenting with this pair again in some other configuration?  They are some of the finest drivers I have ever heard.

jsalk

« Reply #154 on: 8 May 2010, 12:39 pm »
Jim and Dennis,

I was very intrigued by the FAL, Raal combo you had experimented with, and saddened that I did not work out.  Is there a chance you will be experimenting with this pair again in some other configuration?  They are some of the finest drivers I have ever heard.

There was a mechanical issue with the FAL and despite their best efforts, they were not able to resolve it.  My conclusion was that the driver was just not appropriate for an open baffle design.  Although a little on the "polite" side (not quite as detailed as we would have liked), the driver sounded simply wonderful on 97% of the music played on it.  But it would "buzz" on tones in the 1100Hz region on the other 3%. Sax solos, piano solos and female vocals would excite this fault making the music unlistenable.  FAL worked on the issue for over a year and tried re-designing the driver a couple of times.  They gave it their best effort, but were never able to eliminate the problem.

We still have some FAL drivers and may experiment with a sealed cabinet for them.  The additional damping may eliminate the problem.  But that is a future experiment.  For this project, it simply did not work out.

- Jim