SoundScape 10/12 (HT4) design finalized

mritschdorff

Re: SoundScape 10/12 (HT4) design finalized
« Reply #120 on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:18 pm »
I will just get ready for all the used HT2-TL's that will come on the market once the Soundscapes are out.  :)

Very smart strategy - it won't be long before they start appearing on the "market." I too, am considering creative ways on how to finance the Soundscapes. :drool:

srb

« Reply #121 on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:30 pm »
I will just get ready for all the used HT2-TL's that will come on the market once the Soundscapes are out.

Many who bought the HT2-TL either had a smaller room, couldn't afford the extra 50% cost of the HT3, or both.

Now that a $10K+ model is out, I wouldn't expect a lot of people to be selling their HT2-TLs and spending an additional $7K+ to acquire them.

Steve

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #122 on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:37 pm »
I will just get ready for all the used HT2-TL's that will come on the market once the Soundscapes are out.  :)

Hmmmm, that's an idea. As to how to finance ? Wonder if I could get a gov't grant to make an acoustic study comparing & contrasting the STs vs the HT2-TLs ? Yeah, that's it. Now don't any of you steal my idea to finance your SoundScapes !

Congrats Jim, Dennis, & all on realization of the dream. Wish I could have made it to Ore last fall to hear them. Any chance you & Mary might make the extended trip again this fall Jim ?  :eyebrows:

Don't spoil my delusion Steve.  :(

srb

« Reply #123 on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:48 pm »
Don't spoil my delusion Steve.  :(

No, I'm just saying that there will only be so many hitting the used market, so be prepared to pounce!

Steve

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #124 on: 16 Mar 2010, 06:31 pm »
Since I got my salk speakers though, i find myself spending more time listening to music than watching movies.  Also the HT2-TLs provide a very strong center image along with nice bass for movies, so I don't feel that I'm missing all that much for casual movie watching.

I completely agree. I wish I had known what my habits were going to be when I first purchased my SongTower's. I probably said something like 80%/20%  music/movies. However, it's more like 95%/5% now. Part of me wishes I could go back and just purchase HT3's and call it a day. But I know I wouldn't have been happy, as I've always wanted a 5.1 setup. Now I realize that I don't often use 3 of those speakers (but I do use the Subwoofer for music).

Of course, my wife tells me AFTER I've purchased, that *I* was the one who limited myself $$$ wise... so I probably COULD have had a full 5.1 HT* setup. Of course, she just wanted to stop hearing me talk about speakers, so she was probably willing to part with any amount of $$ to shut me up.

Now I can stop thinking about the HT3's and start thinking about the SoundScape's.... I'm pretty sure a pair of these would fit very well in my basement!

Nuance

« Reply #125 on: 16 Mar 2010, 08:40 pm »
I am officially taking HT2-TL donations for anyone looking to move up to the SoundScapes.  :D

taoggniklat

« Reply #126 on: 16 Mar 2010, 08:47 pm »
I am officially taking HT2-TL donations for anyone looking to move up to the SoundScapes.  :D

get in line  :p

OgOgilby

« Reply #127 on: 16 Mar 2010, 09:16 pm »

How 'bout some Rocket 750's instead - I have 4 of them, but I only have 2 HT2 TL's :wink:

Wish I was in financial position to upgrade to the HT4's but that's life. If I win the lottery I'll take you up on the HT2-TL donation Brandon!

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #128 on: 16 Mar 2010, 09:20 pm »
Nuance I have a pair just right for you !
Harrison

writeface

« Reply #129 on: 16 Mar 2010, 09:23 pm »
and just purchase HT3's and call it a day.

After buying HT3 last month I proclaimed to a friend of mine.. this is the end of the road for me! :-)

pjg66

« Reply #130 on: 17 Mar 2010, 01:53 am »
Jim,
Congratulations on your new flagship speaker.  Judging from the reactions, it's bound to be a great success.  And with high-end pricing the way it is these days, $10K or so for the basic model sounds like a bargain.

Though perhaps you were intending it to be primarily for two channel music, if one were thinking about using it for multichannel, what Salk speakers would you recommend for center and surrounds?  Or do you plan to eventually add such speakers to the Soundscape line?

You seem to be doing something incredibly right, given the intense loyalty of your customers.

Happy listening.

Paul G.

Nuance

« Reply #131 on: 17 Mar 2010, 05:55 am »
Nuance I have a pair just right for you !
Harrison

Oh baby!  :lol: :)

jsalk

« Reply #132 on: 17 Mar 2010, 03:18 pm »
Any chance you & Mary might make the extended trip again this fall Jim ?  :eyebrows:

About the closest we will probalby get this year is Rocky Mountain Audiofest.  You might want to check that out as it is a fun event.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #133 on: 17 Mar 2010, 03:26 pm »
Paul -

Jim,
Congratulations on your new flagship speaker.  Judging from the reactions, it's bound to be a great success.  And with high-end pricing the way it is these days, $10K or so for the basic model sounds like a bargain.

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. Obviously we are biased, but we are very confident that there will be nothing even remotely close to this price that will perform at this level.

Though perhaps you were intending it to be primarily for two channel music, if one were thinking about using it for multichannel, what Salk speakers would you recommend for center and surrounds?  Or do you plan to eventually add such speakers to the Soundscape line?

We already have a center channel (large) design underway.  If you can imagine turning the woofer cabinet on its side and placing the top section on top in the middle, that is what we have in mind.

As for surrounds, we will obviously have to attack that as well.  but first we need to get a few pairs of these out the door.  Our intention is to ship the first 12" model by the end of the month and a 10" model shortly after.  We will take pictures of these first pairs and post them on our web site along with a description of the design.

- Jim

hikinokie

« Reply #134 on: 18 Mar 2010, 10:01 am »
Wow! That sounds like a MONSTER center channel! :o

Mudslide

« Reply #135 on: 18 Mar 2010, 12:45 pm »
Paul -

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. Obviously we are biased, but we are very confident that there will be nothing even remotely close to this price that will perform at this level.

We already have a center channel (large) design underway.  If you can imagine turning the woofer cabinet on its side and placing the top section on top in the middle, that is what we have in mind.

As for surrounds, we will obviously have to attack that as well.  but first we need to get a few pairs of these out the door.  Our intention is to ship the first 12" model by the end of the month and a 10" model shortly after.  We will take pictures of these first pairs and post them on our web site along with a description of the design.

- Jim

Jim,

Will both the SS10 and 12 cabinets be made of MDF/veneer or are you carrying forward with bamboo?

jsalk

« Reply #136 on: 18 Mar 2010, 12:58 pm »
Jim,

Will both the SS10 and 12 cabinets be made of MDF/veneer or are you carrying forward with bamboo?

We will be willing to do either.  The bamboo adds quite a bit of cost, especially with the 12" version as it takes one person one week just to sand the cabinets.  It is like sanding concrete. That is why the 12" bamboo version will be $18,999.  We don't expect there will be much demand for bamboo cabinets, but would be happy to build for anyhone who would prefer them.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #137 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:04 pm »
Wow! That sounds like a MONSTER center channel! :o

Yes, position it correctly the first time as you would probalby not want to move it too often.

One of our associates, Sam, is building this center and will be using it with a pair of SoundScape 12's.  So he'll end up with three SoundScape 12's across the front of his home theater.

- Jim

martyo

« Reply #138 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:25 pm »
We will be willing to do either.  The bamboo adds quite a bit of cost, especially with the 12" version as it takes one person one week just to sand the cabinets.  It is like sanding concrete. That is why the 12" bamboo version will be $18,999.  We don't expect there will be much demand for bamboo cabinets, but would be happy to build for anyhone who would prefer them.

- Jim
Jim, are there set(base) prices for the 10" and 12" MDF? Thanks

ctviggen

Re: HT4 (SoundScape 10/12) design finalized
« Reply #139 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:30 pm »
Yup--that's the one.  It's not really a 3" driver--more like a 4".  But that means it can dig low enough to mate with the big HT4 woofs using my preferred 2nd order crossovers, and it's small enough to provide near-perfect dispersion over the narrow range (300 Hz-1900 Hz) it's used.  And yes, it's open to the back.  That's a bedrock aspect of the HT4 design.  But the rear wave opening can be adjusted from 100% all the way down to zippo.  Sealed.

The adjustment can be done by the user on the fly, or at the factory?