Name this open baffle speaker

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Name this open baffle speaker
« Reply #80 on: 2 May 2008, 11:29 pm »
Hi Jeff   That's certainly an interesting story.  I thought the bass response must be based on a nearfield plot.  I certainly agree that reliable measurements are a huge part of the story.  If I have to tweak a design after it's been optimized in my software, it's usually to correct for any off-axis problems I didn't catch.  I tried an open baffle design a year or so ago.  I forget the drivers, but I do remember that the woofer-mid cross drove me crazy.  Congrats on getting it right--dennis.   

Jeff B.

« Reply #81 on: 2 May 2008, 11:50 pm »

Jim, could these be driven with a well behaved 12w/channel 300B SET?  Would the answer change if there was a subwoofer setup that rolled off around 60hz or so?

When I offered to design the Pharos speaker for Jim it was designed from the start to be compatible with low powered SET amps (and for that matter, anything else). Not only does the Pharos have a flat frequency response and a true 95dB sensitivity, the impedance is a flat +/- .5 Ohms above the bass resonance all the way up. This is a difficult thing to accomplish in speaker design - getting flat frequency response AND flat impedance. The new speaker, although close in sensitivity and response, has an impedance that swings quite a bit and may not be a good match with some tube amps. If the tube amp doesn't mind the impedance swings then it should be OK. The minimum impedance is close to 4 ohms at about 200Hz, however, over most of the range above 450Hz it stays at 8 ohms or higher. There is an impedance peak in the upper crossover region as well. I think this is something that needs to be taken into consideration. Low powered amps like high sensitivity speakers, but often it takes more than that to get a good match.

Jeff B.

Frisco

« Reply #82 on: 3 May 2008, 01:51 am »
Getting back to the surfboard theme.......how about .....
The Pipelines
http://hawaiianwatershots.com/store/details.php?gid=229&pid=43264

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:WaikikiSurfboards.JPG

The....North Shore

Legendlime

« Reply #83 on: 3 May 2008, 02:42 am »
I like the surfboard theme. The Pipeline is kind of like the portal to the wave. The reference to Galileo, in Jeffs story above, took me back to Kaleo I mentioned earlier.

mcullinan

« Reply #84 on: 3 May 2008, 02:47 am »
Im thinkin of chiks.. Nakid chicks. Lets call them Boobies 1.2
Mike

Legendlime

« Reply #85 on: 3 May 2008, 04:07 am »
They're too phallic for boobies.  :icon_lol: They'd have to point down, I think. :oops:

Nuance

« Reply #86 on: 3 May 2008, 04:42 am »
I'll add Stargate's to the name list.  So far I like Bishop's and Portal's the best, though.

usfscaptain14

« Reply #87 on: 4 May 2008, 01:44 am »
Jim,   

When i first saw this speaker the first thing that came to mind was an old "Cathedral" I saw in S.Fransico .
I think it sounds great and High class.

Jason

funkmonkey

« Reply #88 on: 4 May 2008, 01:48 am »
How about Salk Sound - Spry 1

or EZ Drivers

or Radiance

Just a couple of ideas...

jhm731

« Reply #89 on: 4 May 2008, 01:50 am »
First thing that came to mind is Viper Clone.

wiz

« Reply #90 on: 4 May 2008, 02:13 am »
Definitely looks like a cathedral...portal's good. Gateway's good too.
But to go in a different direction, it also looks alot like a bullet. How about Caliber?
Maybe too violent???

Big Red Machine

« Reply #91 on: 4 May 2008, 02:43 am »
The sound of these is addicting.  Absolutely superb.  Tight, deep bass and room filling music without being too diffuse or inarticulate.  I was captured the instant I heard them and stayed in the room most of the day.  Truly a success as a speaker.

Okay, back to the naming game....

Kris

« Reply #92 on: 4 May 2008, 02:48 am »
How about "The MOB", Midrange Open Baffle, or OBM 1? To clarify, i mean the audio Mob tower.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #93 on: 4 May 2008, 03:12 am »
Obby or Obbie. The Obbie :thumb: Ya' know short for open baffle. :green: Does the person that comes up with the name win a free pair? :idea:

Kris

« Reply #94 on: 4 May 2008, 04:51 am »
I think the winner takes a free Salk T-shirt, and a 20% off coupon for a new Mobtowers pair.  :D

KS

« Reply #95 on: 4 May 2008, 05:32 am »
How about.....

Salk Sonic Ironing Boards

I thought about tombstones when I first saw the pics, but they do look more like surfboards.  Anybody else making surfboards in Michigan?

chainsdb

« Reply #96 on: 4 May 2008, 10:14 am »
How about the Clarity. We already have Veracity.

From Wikipedia: Clarity is the property of being clear or transparent.

Clarity can refer to one's ability to clearly visualize an object or concept, as in thought, understanding, and the "mind's eye", as well as the traditional notion of visual perception, that is, with the actual eyes. Clarity may also refer more broadly to 'perspicacity', the Zen concept of 'no mind', or other terms denoting general clear and unperplexed cognition.

As a technical term of photography and imaging, clarity refers to sharpness and image resolution.

As a technical term of some other fields, such as gemology and brewing, clarity refers to the property of transmitting light with minimal scattering.

Nuance

« Reply #97 on: 4 May 2008, 05:07 pm »
The sound of these is addicting.  Absolutely superb.  Tight, deep bass and room filling music without being too diffuse or inarticulate.  I was captured the instant I heard them and stayed in the room most of the day.  Truly a success as a speaker.

Excellent!   :thumb: 

How would you compare them to your Veracity HT3's?

nature boy

« Reply #98 on: 4 May 2008, 10:22 pm »
Jim,

Here are a few names for possible consideration.  BTW, the new
open baffle speakers are just BEAUTIFUL.   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Boundless
Nuance
Open Range

NB

Big Red Machine

« Reply #99 on: 4 May 2008, 11:09 pm »

Excellent!   :thumb: 

How would you compare them to your Veracity HT3's?

They were not in the same room as the HT3 for direct comparison, but Jim says these new ones do not go as deep or have the upper extension of the HT3.  But it appeared as if no one cared because a vast majority of folks said the room was the best sounding room at AKFest and really liked the sound of these new speakers.  I am hoping for a ribbon tweeter version. :thumb: