Audio Alto R101FR

P3GA

Audio Alto R101FR
« on: 7 Nov 2020, 01:21 am »
This speaker has me intrigued: Anyone have first-hand experience? Would appreciate any feedback, looking to simply things & this is hitting the right buttons.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.audioalto.com/en/home-aa-r101-fr/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Audio Alto R101FR
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2020, 01:35 am »
Maybe you would like see Mark Áudio site for more drivers like this.

Hogg

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2020, 01:45 am »
http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/

Check the site above.  The speaker you like was originally designed for the Jordan JX92.  Ted Jordan was one of the first to design full-range drivers using metal cones.

Jim

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2020, 03:39 am »
http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/

Check the site above.  The speaker you like was originally designed for the Jordan JX92.  Ted Jordan was one of the first to design full-range drivers using metal cones.

Jim

Is this Hogg? Nice to see you again.  I still remember going to your place when we used to gather for NYAudio Rave days.  Keep safe out there!  Still remember your Naim systems, your Royd speakers and your Tannoy speakers and also your classical music tastes. 

Paul from Queens.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2020, 01:04 pm »
Not impressed.  Limited information.  What driver is this, from what manufacturer?  Whats the toggle switch next to the cable lugs for?  35m2 is a small room (roughly 8ft x 10ft x 14ft) for the recommended maximum.  Sorry, don't believe F3 = 36 Hz.  And BTW 36-23,000 Hz is over 9 octaves, not "all" 6 as stated (10 octaves, 20-20,000 Hz is the accepted full range of human hearing).  Smells like a marketing driven effort. 

The Jordan JX92 is the classic aluminum full range driver.  The company used it in all sorts of designs from single drivers in sealed cabinets to vertical arrays and nearly always overstated their specifications. 

Mark Audio would be a much better option. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2020, 08:16 pm »
What do those things cost?

The Alpair 10.3 used in it is a favorite of the diy crowd. An excellent driver. You want to learn more vissit diyAudio.com

That box is likely an ML-TL to be able to get near that low (the driver is capable in the right box, but a 5.25” wil have somewhat limited abiluty to move lots of air.

One immediate issue i have with that box is that you will likely hear the limited depth of the box.

Before Mark Audio was Mark Audio Mark Fenlon was Ted Jordan’s apprentice. The JX92 and the Alpair 10 (1st gen( sounded quite simialr with the same (painful to me) top end issues. Both Eikona and A10.3/11ms have greatly reduced this (the top on the EIkona still bugs me a bit).

Now A10.3 is of limited availabiliy, it has been replaced by the Aplair 11ms (mono-suspension, ie attaining Ted Jordan’s quest to lose the spider). In our shootout of the A11ms, Eikona 2, and A10.3eN (and EnABLed A10.3) at the last Vancouver Island diyFEST had the A11ms come out on top (except that the EnABLed driver imaged better and did really small detail better). And teh A11ms is currently $170 USD/pr at Madisound.

There is also a new cheaper version. CHN-110. It fits a much bigger box (currently listening to a pai rin Frugel-Horn XL (sims suggest it will be even better in the larger Joan).

Many proven boxes for all these drivers. If one has/or access to a table saw and a few other tools, one could have a box that outperforms the above for less than $500 USD (plus finish).

Here is the Frugel-Horn XLs (#0000) with the paper cone version of the driver used above (and EnABLed). Next to a set of Frugel-Horn Mk3 w FE126eN2. In FHXL the A10.3/p will about 35 Hz F10, but with the rear horn mouth the room and how it is placed in the room (and the amount of damping in the horn), and placement wil greatly influence bass extention. The A10.3 does hit that high but best to listen off-axis whih does not reach quite as high. Certainly many people are surprised at how well the top does.

dave

viggen

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2020, 02:26 am »
konus essence

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2020, 05:09 am »
+1 on the Frugel Horn.
The Alpair 7MS also is a fine FR driver with plenty of bass and a extended treble response, but maybe not suited to the FH due the hi QTS 0.56

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2020, 05:30 am »
Alpair 7ms goes into Frugel-Horn Mk3.

Alpair 11ms goes into the larger Frugel-Horn XL.

and for completness the Alpair 5.2/3 in Frugel-Horn Lite. This is the one that had people at the Bristol show coming back to listen again because they couldn’t believe it — it does the 1st harmonics of the lower bass notes so well you are tricked…

These are very versatile with driver load, with a couple ways to adjust for differences.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2020, 06:02 am »
Good to know it  :thumb:
Do the Frugel Horn XL also could fit the Alpair 12 ?
Or would it be necessary to increase the FH width ?
https://audioalchemy.ro/difuzoare/markaudio/Alpair%2012%20Specs.pdf

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2020, 07:06 am »
Alpair 12p/pw, FF225wk, more go into Joan. Currently people are doing beta builds.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2020, 07:57 am »
I could not locate Joan in your site ?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2020, 05:43 pm »
Joan is the result of many, many diyers pestering Scott to do a Frugel-Horn for even larger drivers. It is in beta, relying on diyers around the world now that i am not building boxes. When we are happy i will revise the site.

It is called Joan, which is a cousin to the others. This is due to the need to keep the size rom getting ridiculous. It does not have as much gain as the smaller ones, not really an issue wit the larger drivers.

Here the extents with simmed drivers in the notes. Also the Mark Audio CHN-110 and likely the CHR-120 work (CHN-110 also works in FHXL, which i am curently auditioning*.

dave

*(they are impressive, an ACA, ACP+ and CHN110 in FHXL, Joan, or Pensil should be a kick0ass system for about a grand and some diy)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2020, 10:31 pm »
Thats are really good news Dave, I also have interest in a bígger FH tô Clássic10Alnico.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2020, 06:24 am by FullRangeMan »

P3GA

« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2020, 02:48 am »
Just want to thank everyone for their input so far. This has been an eyeopener & I'll need to decide just how far down this rabbit hole I care to venture.

After being out of this hobby for many years, 'alternative' speaker designs are intriguing; open baffles are under consideration as well.

Maybe a pair of Caintuck Betsy's would be a good way to dip the toe into the waters?

Appreciate the suggestions...keep 'em coming.