Recommendation for step-up with Cornet

Braden

« on: 24 Oct 2003, 10:08 pm »
First off, I'm very very happy with my Cornet, it's sounding better everyday. I will be replacing my cartridge, currently a blue point, with something new within the next couple of months and have been wondering about lower output cartridges. I would just like to find out about the possibilities of either modifying the Cornet or using a decent, but not overly expensive step-up device. I understand Mr. Hagerman recommended one as less expensive alternative to his, and that may be a route to go. Would adding this extra equipment in the signal path degrade the sound enough to negate the possible benefits of a lower output cartridge?

Thanks,
Braden :?:

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2003, 10:14 pm »
I bought my Cornet of Agon and had Wayne at Bolder do some mods including installing S&B TX103 Step up transformers.  These are the same ones that Hagerman uses, but you can get them at Bent Audio  for $400pair (they have a forum here).

Wayne also did the constant current mod, as well as installing Bybees on the inputs and replacing the wiring with his Nitro.

The Cornet just makes my analog system Sing.  I never heard it before his mods, but with them and the step up transformers my turntable is now making magic.  I did get the Cornet the same day I got new speakers to complicate things more.  The Analog rig and my digital rig gave me the same amount of pleasure, now the analog front end is MUCH more musical and enjoyable.

I say go for it.

My system is in the link at the bottom of the post.

RogueAngel

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2003, 10:54 pm »
I just completed my Cornet using Lundahl step-ups. A pair with a small circuit board was just over $100. They have three different transformers with a bunch of different gains possible.

I built the Octal version of the Cornet and with step-up have a total of 68db gain.  

These are highly recommended over at AA.

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2003, 11:44 pm »
I installed Jensen JT-44K-DX step up's inside the chassis and they sound very good. They sell for $104 each direct from Jensen. I have also heard the Lundahl and they were very nice. I did not do a direct comparison and so cannot say which is better.

My reason for choosing the Jensen over the Lundahl was primarily because of the shielded cans that Jensen uses. My reasoning was that since I was installing them inside the chassis a shielded design seemed a good idea to prevent possible noise pickup.

I have heard the S&B TX103 and they sounded fabulous with the Cornet as Marbles has mentioned.

Three different price points and I don't think you would be unhappy with any of them. As for using a step up for extra gain with an MC cartridge, it's almost always quieter than an active circuit and given the sound quality of some of the low output cartridges I believe it's worth the extra device in the signal path.

I agree with Marbles - Go for it!

Mike G.

clivem

• http://www.vacuumtube.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2003, 08:08 am »
I own a pair of Llundahl LL1636 (same as LL9206 but have additional shield btwn primary and secondary) and a pair of S&B TX-103's. For 25% of the cost of the S&B TX-103, the LLundahl transformers offer 95% of the performance. Kevin Carter (K&K Audio) offers a Moving Coil Step-Up Kit based on the LL 9206 http://hometown.aol.com/kevinc927/index.html for $225, or you could just buy the transformers and PCB's for half that ammount and install in the Cornet chassis. Other options would be nude step-up transformers from S&B, Jensen, Sowter, vintage mic transformers from eBay, Jim's step-up, Bent Audio Mu kit, or DIY a head-amp http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/headamp/

Regards

Clive

tianguis

Lundahls and CliveM
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2003, 11:49 pm »
Clive:
      It was good to meet and talk with you at VSAC (lounge, er, pub on Sunday).
      I'm using the Lundahls and am satisfied with the price/performance. I agree with your estimate of 95% of the S&B's, but we all know the last 5% gets very expensive!

Regards,
Larry Welsh

clivem

• http://www.vacuumtube.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2003, 01:45 pm »
Hi Larry,

It was good to meet you too. Sunday was a lot of fun!

I have a large slice of humble pie to eat regarding the FryKleaner. It took me a week to find a suitable UK transformer to power it with when I got back. During that time I listened to the No-cable interconnect but felt that it didn't sound very 'natural'. Even though it spent most of the week connected to an old CD player on continuous loop into a dummy load, the sound didn't change. Connected it to the FryKleaner for 2 days. Guess what? ;-) Big difference. Almost liquid presentation. Maybe the cable would have come alive with a little more running-in using music. Maybe the FryKleaner accelerates the process. I don't know. What I do know is that the FryKleaner does what it is meant to do. Interesting, very interesting.

Regards

Clive

Braden

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2003, 09:35 pm »
Well thank you to everyone for giving me a whole lot to think about! I agree, even if I don't go for a very expensive cartridge, it does allow for a lot more decisions. I'm leaning towards to Ortofon, Kontra B right now.
It sounds to me like the Lundahl should work just fine. Where can I order the PCB's from? I see that k&k have the kits, but I would just need minimal parts to put them inside my Cornet chasis. Are there easy to follow plans available anywhere? Or better yet, pictures?

Thanks again!
Braden

RogueAngel

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2003, 09:44 pm »
Braden,

Kevin C. at K&K sells the PCB separate from the kit if you want to mount them in the chassis like I did.  You can download a pdf from his website when you pick out which transformer is right for you. He has 3 different transformers available for MC step-ups. The pdf shows connection diagrams for each possible step-up configuration (amount of gain). If you have questions concerning these transformers I suggest you ask him directly at:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/KandK/bbs.html

He answers very quickly and was very helpful to me when I made my purchase.

Good Listening,
Bobbi

RogueAngel

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2003, 09:46 pm »
Braden,

Kevin C. at K&K sells the PCB separate from the kit if you want to mount them in the chassis like I did.  You can download a pdf from his website when you pick out which transformer is right for you. He has 3 different transformers available for MC step-ups. The pdf shows connection diagrams for each possible step-up configuration (amount of gain). If you have questions concerning these transformers I suggest you ask him directly at:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/KandK/bbs.html

He answers very quickly and was very helpful to me when I made my purchase.

Good Listening,
Bobbi

Braden

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2003, 09:17 pm »
Ok, I've finally decided on a new cartridge for my setup, an Ortofon Kontrapunkt A. It has a .45mv output, and the recommended impedence is 50-200ohms. The lundahl LL1636 transformer is right in my price range. So, what else do I need to know? I tried reading Jim's article on loading, but I'm still unsure of what to change. I understand that the different termination alternatives will provide different gain. I'm assuming a 1:10 ratio will be satisfactory with a 0.45mv cartridge. Also, using Jim's calculations, how do I figure out what to change the Cornet's 47k loading resistors to?

Thanks again,
Braden

hagtech

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2003, 07:08 am »
No need to change the 47k on the Cornet board.  Just plop in the Lundahls per their instructions and you are good to go.  They'll take care of loading for your.  Yes, the 10:1 is a good choice.  The transformers are very small and will probably fit inside your existing chassis.

Keep wires reasonably short.

jh :)