Finally got to building another of Danny's Subs.

Plund

Finally got to building another of Danny's Subs.
« on: 17 Jan 2016, 03:08 am »
Danny, It's been three or four years since you "gave away" a few of your repaired, SW-12A drivers.  I was fortunate enough to get one from you when you had a few of them for $60.
The SW-12A has been patiently waiting in my garage, however, a few months ago I finally got around to building with it.  I finished it a few days ago and am really enjoying the way it fills-in the bottom for some desk-top speakers I built 6-8 months ago.  I roughly followed the plans for a sealed, 1.2cf box, available on your website. I am pushing it with a 200 watt Yung plate-amp.  It's not quite as nice as my sealed servo-sub you provided the driver and amp for a few years ago, but it is still a great addition! Besides, similar to my servo-sub, it will make a wonderful support for a table-lamp, or houseplant, or... :D

Thanks again,
Pete

Todd Willhoit

Re: Finally got to building another of Danny's Subs.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2016, 03:52 am »
That looks very nice!  Can you show any other pictures of your completed sub?

Todd

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2016, 04:20 am »
Cool   8)
Neat to see some of this "older" stuff around
jay

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:37 am »
Nice cabinet Mr. Plund

Guy 13

cody69

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2016, 12:30 pm »
Well done. In addition to filling out the bass for your system, and providing a useful piece of furniture in your room, after 3 - 4 years in the garage I'm sure you feel good about getting the driver out of the box and into a cabinet. Cheers!

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2016, 02:25 pm »
Looks great.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2016, 06:14 pm »
Pete,

Looks good.

BTW interesting last name ...

Mike Lundy

Plund

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2016, 03:42 am »
That looks very nice!  Can you show any other pictures of your completed sub?

Todd
Todd, here are a few more pics...As you can see it is not a complicated build.  I roughly followed Danny's plan on his website for a sealed sub, painted it with some rattle-can rustolium, built some simple legs out of walnut and glued them on.  I finished by gluing and clamping some walnut trim pieces and a table-top.

Although the walnut top finish has a gazillion imperfections in it, I still like the way it turned out.  It is 1/2" thick walnut laminated to 3/4" birch-ply, raw walnut veneer laminated to the sides, finished with two coats of epoxy glaze coat. The epoxy certainly brings out the unique grain and figure in the wood.  The figure and depth doesn't show in the picture but it is there. The edges and sides of the top have most of the imperfections but I will live with the imperfections instead of sanding them smooth and coating again.  Fortunately the look doesn't effect the sound! 

Pete

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2016, 01:14 pm »
Good work!  I like the walnut leg grain figure. :)

londonbarn

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2016, 05:22 pm »
It does look very nice....